Re: T3mini Only passing aprs waypoints heard directly onto the nuvi 350

  • caanuck
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 26, 2013
      So I changed the volume on the Baofeng radio to a few different positions without any luck, I have also shift ed the TX volume on the T3mini in case that may have been linked. There is no change in the waypoints plotted on the nevi, still just local. I have a magnetic base antenna that I am using with the Baofeng so the rubber duck that came with it is not the problem.

      Couple of settings on the radio that I disabled thinking they may truncate or modify the packet transmission, but no change in behaviour

      RP-STE OFF = Repeater Tail elimination
      STE OFF = Simplex tail elimination
      SAVE OFF = battery saving function that may truncate the front of a transmission

      Other observations:
      I swapped out the Nuvi for another one and no change in behaviour.
      FCS count goes to approx 3500 after a few hours of listening
      Setting Squelch to 0 so that all traffic is presented to the tracker (removing all modifications to start and end of transmissions ) seems to not change the behaviour either.

      When I set Squelch to 1, turn PASSALL ON and use monitor, I see the following

      cmd:
      Oe$Ewt-4>:KI
      LV-3:<��'�vMrR��ɟ��|�"��

      7;_$D^-14>ap!23-8,ujI}^-14*:

      y[TZV-13>45+fm-15:�X�$���o�%-�

      ?k>y^T-14>fFomw-14:�

      This was a packet that did not get plotted onto the Nuvi 350

      Thoughts?
      Eric

      > Try different volume levels and see if that changes your RX decode rate.
      > If it's too high or too low you'll lose packets.
      >
      > Scott
      >
      > On 7/23/2013 5:04 AM, caanuck wrote:
      > >
      > > It is connected to a baofeng uv-5s ht using a two prong adapter wired
      > > from the board to the inputs on the side of the radio( was direct wired,
      > > I added a molex connector between, no change to behaviour). The HT is
      > > cheap as chips but a likely candidate for deviation. Hmm I'll have to do
      > > some research.
      > > Any advice besides get a better radio?
      > >
      > > Thanks,
      > > Caanuck
      > > VK2CNK

      > > Scott Miller <scott@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > FCS can increment just from random noise, so a count there doesn't
      > > > necessarily mean dropped packets.
      > > >
      > > > What radio is your T3 connected to, and how? If you can copy traffic
      > > > from one station and not another, it's often a problem with deviation or
      > > > pre-emphasis.
      > > >
      > > > Scott

      > > waypoints...

    • caanuck
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 21 4:47 AM

          So I got this fixed and the t3 mini is now reading and displaying packets from the local digipeater as well as direct.  The secret was to add a capacitor and a small resistor inline with the output from the baofeng speaker before it enters the t3 mini audio input.

        The t3minit is now working with the baofeng UV-5S handheld and th nuvi 35

      • caanuck
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 21 4:50 AM

           The settings on the baofeng radio are volume at just Below max, the tx level on the t3 is set at 150, I placed a 10 nF capacitor and a 20 ohm resistor inline with the speaker out put and it seems to work well now.  Thanks to Scott for pointing me in the right direction!