Wide1-1 digi, trap long paths

  • beej2001
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 23 7:16 AM
      I was reading the NorCal APRS Wiki yesterday and they suggested that high level digi'd be configured to only respond to wide 1-1 or maybe wide 2-1 to avoid digipeating stations hundreds of miles away, and also that these same digis be configured to trap or not digi traffic with long paths of wide 3-3, or even wide2-2. I don't live in Northern California (I'm in Las Vegas), but I see stations everyday that are 200+ miles away, and occasionally I see an XE station from Northern Mexico.

      Can the OT2/OT3 do this kind of digipeating? Only respond to a certain short path, and trap longer ones? Or is there anyway to not digi a certain station? There is a guy in Salt Lake City, Utah that uses a path of wide2-1, NV4-4 that potentially clobbers the Nevada APRS network when he isn't even the state.
    • Jason KG4WSV
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 23 8:02 AM
        http://www.argentdata.com/support/tracker3_manual.pdf

        Check the manual, page 31.

        the T2/T3 can actually do math on the hop count, so instead of getting
        too bogged down in someone's instructions for obsolete hardware you
        can configure it to support WIDE1 with a hop count of 1, WIDE2 with a
        hop count of 1, etc and end up with a digi that will limit the hop
        count on all packets.

        -Jason
        kg4wsv
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 23 10:06 AM
          There's no exclusion list, though that's something I'm working on adding
          to scripting. The T3 will limit hops, but if you want to restrict it to
          specific aliases you have to enter those directly, like WIDE2 instead of
          just WIDE.

          Scott