Re: [tracker2] T3mini Only passing aprs waypoints heard directly onto the nuvi 350

    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 22, 2013
      FCS can increment just from random noise, so a count there doesn't
      necessarily mean dropped packets.

      What radio is your T3 connected to, and how? If you can copy traffic
      from one station and not another, it's often a problem with deviation or
      pre-emphasis.

      Scott

      On 7/22/2013 7:25 AM, caanuck wrote:
      > So I have been using the t3mini for a few days and notice that none if
      > the divi petted waypoints are making it into the nuvi 350 favourites
      > list. The directly heard waypoints from my kenwood 710 are heard and
      > messaging works direct but not through the local repeater.
      >
      > I spoke with the admin for the local digitpeater and he doesn't see
      > anything wrong in his settings, my mobile kenwood plots all the waypoints...
      >
      > Any ideas? I have set the max distance for waypoints to 200 miles,
      > digits to 9, and still get only the ones heard directly. When I use the
      > info command on the t3 I get a count of FCS which I suspect indicates
      > that the repeated packets are not understood by the nuvi and it blocks
      > them as not passing the corruption test. Using pass all makes no
      > difference.
      >
      > Any thoughts?

    • caanuck
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 23, 2013
        It is connected to a baofeng uv-5s ht using a two prong adapter wired from the board to the inputs on the side of the radio( was direct wired, I added a molex connector between, no change to behaviour). The HT is cheap as chips but a likely candidate for deviation. Hmm I'll have to do some research.
        Any advice besides get a better radio?

        Thanks,
        Caanuck
        VK2CNK

        > FCS can increment just from random noise, so a count there doesn't
        > necessarily mean dropped packets.
        >
        > What radio is your T3 connected to, and how? If you can copy traffic
        > from one station and not another, it's often a problem with deviation or
        > pre-emphasis.
        >
        > Scott
        >
        > On 7/22/2013 7:25 AM, caanuck wrote:
        > > So I have been using the t3mini for a few days and notice that none if
        > > the divi petted waypoints are making it into the nuvi 350 favourites
        > > list. The directly heard waypoints from my kenwood 710 are heard and
        > > messaging works direct but not through the local repeater.
        > >
        > > I spoke with the admin for the local digitpeater and he doesn't see
        > > anything wrong in his settings, my mobile kenwood plots all the waypoints...
        > >
        > > Any ideas? I have set the max distance for waypoints to 200 miles,
        > > digits to 9, and still get only the ones heard directly. When I use the
        > > info command on the t3 I get a count of FCS which I suspect indicates
        > > that the repeated packets are not understood by the nuvi and it blocks
        > > them as not passing the corruption test. Using pass all makes no
        > > difference.
        > >
        > > Any thoughts?

      • caanuck
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 23, 2013
          I have two these ht radios and both give the same result

          --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "caanuck" <eric.strom@...> wrote:

          > It is connected to a baofeng uv-5s ht using a two prong adapter wired from the board to the inputs on the side of the radio( was direct wired, I added a molex connector between, no change to behaviour). The HT is cheap as chips but a likely candidate for deviation. Hmm I'll have to do some research.
          > Any advice besides get a better radio?
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Caanuck
          > VK2CNK

          > > FCS can increment just from random noise, so a count there doesn't
          > > necessarily mean dropped packets.
          > >
          > > What radio is your T3 connected to, and how? If you can copy traffic
          > > from one station and not another, it's often a problem with deviation or
          > > pre-emphasis.
          > >
          > > Scott
          > >
          > > On 7/22/2013 7:25 AM, caanuck wrote:
          > > > So I have been using the t3mini for a few days and notice that none if
          > > > the divi petted waypoints are making it into the nuvi 350 favourites
          > > > list. The directly heard waypoints from my kenwood 710 are heard and
          > > > messaging works direct but not through the local repeater.
          > > >
          > > > I spoke with the admin for the local digitpeater and he doesn't see
          > > > anything wrong in his settings, my mobile kenwood plots all the waypoints...
          > > >
          > > > Any ideas? I have set the max distance for waypoints to 200 miles,
          > > > digits to 9, and still get only the ones heard directly. When I use the
          > > > info command on the t3 I get a count of FCS which I suspect indicates
          > > > that the repeated packets are not understood by the nuvi and it blocks
          > > > them as not passing the corruption test. Using pass all makes no
          > > > difference.
          > > >
          > > > Any thoughts?

        • donjensen2002
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 23, 2013
            Hi I to have one of those radio's,  I have found what I believe to be my problem is the antenna that came with the radio . I changed it out and it talks as should. Don

            Sent from my U.S. Cellular® Android-powered device

            [tracker2] Re: T3mini Only passing aprs waypoints heard directly onto the nuvi 350

            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 23, 2013
              Try different volume levels and see if that changes your RX decode rate.
              If it's too high or too low you'll lose packets.

              Scott

              On 7/23/2013 5:04 AM, caanuck wrote:

              > It is connected to a baofeng uv-5s ht using a two prong adapter wired
              > from the board to the inputs on the side of the radio( was direct wired,
              > I added a molex connector between, no change to behaviour). The HT is
              > cheap as chips but a likely candidate for deviation. Hmm I'll have to do
              > some research.
              > Any advice besides get a better radio?
              >
              > Thanks,
              > Caanuck
              > VK2CNK

              > Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > FCS can increment just from random noise, so a count there doesn't
              > > necessarily mean dropped packets.
              > >
              > > What radio is your T3 connected to, and how? If you can copy traffic
              > > from one station and not another, it's often a problem with deviation or
              > > pre-emphasis.
              > >
              > > Scott
              > >
              > > On 7/22/2013 7:25 AM, caanuck wrote:
              > > > So I have been using the t3mini for a few days and notice that none if
              > > > the divi petted waypoints are making it into the nuvi 350 favourites
              > > > list. The directly heard waypoints from my kenwood 710 are heard and
              > > > messaging works direct but not through the local repeater.
              > > >
              > > > I spoke with the admin for the local digitpeater and he doesn't see
              > > > anything wrong in his settings, my mobile kenwood plots all the
              > waypoints...
              > > >
              > > > Any ideas? I have set the max distance for waypoints to 200 miles,
              > > > digits to 9, and still get only the ones heard directly. When I use the
              > > > info command on the t3 I get a count of FCS which I suspect indicates
              > > > that the repeated packets are not understood by the nuvi and it blocks
              > > > them as not passing the corruption test. Using pass all makes no
              > > > difference.
              > > >
              > > > Any thoughts?

            • caanuck
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 26, 2013
                So I changed the volume on the Baofeng radio to a few different positions without any luck, I have also shift ed the TX volume on the T3mini in case that may have been linked. There is no change in the waypoints plotted on the nevi, still just local. I have a magnetic base antenna that I am using with the Baofeng so the rubber duck that came with it is not the problem.

                Couple of settings on the radio that I disabled thinking they may truncate or modify the packet transmission, but no change in behaviour

                RP-STE OFF = Repeater Tail elimination
                STE OFF = Simplex tail elimination
                SAVE OFF = battery saving function that may truncate the front of a transmission

                Other observations:
                I swapped out the Nuvi for another one and no change in behaviour.
                FCS count goes to approx 3500 after a few hours of listening
                Setting Squelch to 0 so that all traffic is presented to the tracker (removing all modifications to start and end of transmissions ) seems to not change the behaviour either.

                When I set Squelch to 1, turn PASSALL ON and use monitor, I see the following

                cmd:
                Oe$Ewt-4>:KI
                LV-3:<��'�vMrR��ɟ��|�"��

                7;_$D^-14>ap!23-8,ujI}^-14*:

                y[TZV-13>45+fm-15:�X�$���o�%-�

                ?k>y^T-14>fFomw-14:�

                This was a packet that did not get plotted onto the Nuvi 350

                Thoughts?
                Eric

                > Try different volume levels and see if that changes your RX decode rate.
                > If it's too high or too low you'll lose packets.
                >
                > Scott
                >
                > On 7/23/2013 5:04 AM, caanuck wrote:
                > >
                > > It is connected to a baofeng uv-5s ht using a two prong adapter wired
                > > from the board to the inputs on the side of the radio( was direct wired,
                > > I added a molex connector between, no change to behaviour). The HT is
                > > cheap as chips but a likely candidate for deviation. Hmm I'll have to do
                > > some research.
                > > Any advice besides get a better radio?
                > >
                > > Thanks,
                > > Caanuck
                > > VK2CNK

                > > Scott Miller <scott@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > FCS can increment just from random noise, so a count there doesn't
                > > > necessarily mean dropped packets.
                > > >
                > > > What radio is your T3 connected to, and how? If you can copy traffic
                > > > from one station and not another, it's often a problem with deviation or
                > > > pre-emphasis.
                > > >
                > > > Scott

                > > waypoints...

              • caanuck
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 21 4:47 AM

                    So I got this fixed and the t3 mini is now reading and displaying packets from the local digipeater as well as direct.  The secret was to add a capacitor and a small resistor inline with the output from the baofeng speaker before it enters the t3 mini audio input.

                  The t3minit is now working with the baofeng UV-5S handheld and th nuvi 35

                • caanuck
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 21 4:50 AM

                     The settings on the baofeng radio are volume at just Below max, the tx level on the t3 is set at 150, I placed a 10 nF capacitor and a 20 ohm resistor inline with the speaker out put and it seems to work well now.  Thanks to Scott for pointing me in the right direction!