Re: [tracker2] Re: Questions about T3mini and GT-320FW GPS

  • Marcel S
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 16, 2013

      A few comments:

      - You should be using the RS232 output on the GPS for the argent products.
      See: https://www.argentdata.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=144 Be
      sure to use the correct cable pinouts from the GPS and try again. Hopefully
      that will solve the GPS part of the problem.

      - The currents you are reporting seem to be ballpark ok. The OT3m normally
      draws 40mA (so I presume the mini is in the same range (I don't have one
      here to check)). The GPS will draw <45mA (
      http://www.argentdata.com/files/GT-320FW.pdf) so the 90mA you are reporting
      doesn't seem far off from what you would expect. Keep in mind the 78L05UA
      regulator in use maxes out at 100mA, so if you're measuring the 90mA on the
      input, then there is a good chance it's being overdriven. You might want to
      check the GPS current inline and double check your wiring in case something
      is shorting and causing the regulator to max out. That regulator is
      designed to handle the tracker plus a GPS puck.

      I hope this helps out a bit. Keep us posted with your progress!

      -Marcel AI6MS