Re: [tracker2] Re: OTUSB problems

  • Marcel S
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 16, 2013
      Hi Stephane,

      Try reloading the firmware again using OTWINCFG. Be sure to use the web
      update to get the newest revision. It is possible that the Green half of
      the LED is not working anymore (rare, but possible).

      If you computer is not recognizing the device anymore, you may need to look
      at your drivers and reinstall the .ini file that can be found on the wiki
      here: http://www.argentdata.com/files/ArgentUSB.zip

      Even with the green light not working, was the unit still working as it
      should? If yes, then it would just be an LED failure. If it was not working
      properly then you likely have something else funky going on. First steps
      for debugging would be to check all you power supplies and power rails on
      the devices. (Refer to schematics here:
      http://wiki.argentdata.com/images/Otusb-schematic.png)

      As "e20fmc" (name? call?) said in the previous email, you can also try to
      reload firmware directly through the serial port to bypass any USB
      communication issues that could be there. Just be sure to provide the
      correct power to the device.

      Cheers,

      -Marcel AI6MS

      On Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 8:48 AM, e20fmc <e20fmc@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > When I had problem connecting OTUSB via USB port.
      >
      > I connected it via serial port.
      > Don't forget to give power to it.
    • ve6stp
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 16, 2013
        Hi Scott,

        Thank you again for the reply. Using the otwincfg app, I was able to connect via my serial port/null modem to the devices data port and "Erase device and load firmware" to restore the device to what appears to be a functional state.

        Upon firmware load and initial configuration through the otwincfg app, I was able to verify that the both the red and green LED works through the "Tuning/Diagnostics" section.

        After I wrote the config to the tracker and quit the program, the tracker seemed to be working as it was beaconing as expected.

        I noticed the green LED was not flashing however. Is it not supposed to flash to indicate it has GPS lock? I went back to the otwincfg / Tuning/Diagnostics section and was no longer able to get the green LED to light up.

        Have you run into this before? The firmware on the tracker is 56412.

        Thank you,
        Stephane

        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 17, 2013
          If you can't get the green LED to light from the tuning/diagnostics
          screen, it could be a bad solder joint. The OTUSB uses an 0805 size
          bicolor LED and they're probably the most problematic part on the board
          when it comes to proper solder flow. If you're OK with taking a
          soldering iron to it, you can touch up the four connections at the
          corners of the LED. A bit of flux will help a lot. And of course
          you're always welcome to send it back here for repair.

          Scott