Re: [tracker2] Re: OTUSB problems

  • Marcel S
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 16, 2013
      Hi Stephane,

      Try reloading the firmware again using OTWINCFG. Be sure to use the web
      update to get the newest revision. It is possible that the Green half of
      the LED is not working anymore (rare, but possible).

      If you computer is not recognizing the device anymore, you may need to look
      at your drivers and reinstall the .ini file that can be found on the wiki
      here: http://www.argentdata.com/files/ArgentUSB.zip

      Even with the green light not working, was the unit still working as it
      should? If yes, then it would just be an LED failure. If it was not working
      properly then you likely have something else funky going on. First steps
      for debugging would be to check all you power supplies and power rails on
      the devices. (Refer to schematics here:
      http://wiki.argentdata.com/images/Otusb-schematic.png)

      As "e20fmc" (name? call?) said in the previous email, you can also try to
      reload firmware directly through the serial port to bypass any USB
      communication issues that could be there. Just be sure to provide the
      correct power to the device.

      Cheers,

      -Marcel AI6MS

      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 16, 2013
        The ~ is a good sign - it's probably running the bootloader.  Try connecting with otwincfg.  And yes, the pins are numbered left to right, with the pins along the bottom of the board and the printing upright.

        Scott

        On 7/16/2013 4:55 PM, ve6stp wrote:

        Hi Scott,

        Thank you for the reply.

        I tried to connect to the serial port last night, however I wasn't 100% sure what the com port settings should be.

        Every time the red LED would flash, I would see a "~" show up. My console screen looked like this:

        þ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

        I found the instructions on safe mode, however I can't seem to clearly see which pins would be 2 and 7. On the board where it indicates the CN4 pins, does it start from left to right 1 - 8 when the radio port is on the left and the data port is on the right ?

        Thank you,
        Stephane

        > Have you tried connecting with the serial port instead of USB? The
        > serial bootloader is much more likely to survive firmware corruption
        > that the USB side. Also, you might try jumpering it for safe mode and
        > see if that makes a difference.
        >
        > Scott
        >
        > On 7/15/2013 9:01 PM, ve6stp wrote:
        > > Hi,
        > >
        > > I have an OTUSB that was working, but I'm having some problems now. I
        > > noticed that the green LED was no longer flashing indicating, what I
        > > believe is, a GPS signal.
        > >
        > > I hooked it up to a computer via the USB port and looked at the
        > > configuration and did not notice any problems. Under the diag screen in
        > > the configuration tool, I tried to turn on the green LED and did not
        > > notice the LED coming on. I was able to turn on and off the red LED no
        > > problem.
        > >
        > > Suspecting maybe a software glitch I attempted to reload the firmware to
        > > see if any difference occurred. I did not notice any difference initially.
        > >
        > > I unplugged the OTUSB and plugged it back in to the computer and now the
        > > computer indicates a problem with the USB device and the tracker does
        > > not come up as a port. I have tried this on 2 computers now (Win 7 and
        > > Win XP) with the same result.
        > >
        > > Did this OTUSB somehow brick? It seems to be stuck in a cycle of red
        > > flashes when I apply power to the OTUSB.
        > >
        > > Any suggestions or assistance would be appreciated.
        > >
        > > Thank you,
        > > Stephane VE6STP

      • ve6stp
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 16, 2013
          Hi Scott,

          Thank you again for the reply. Using the otwincfg app, I was able to connect via my serial port/null modem to the devices data port and "Erase device and load firmware" to restore the device to what appears to be a functional state.

          Upon firmware load and initial configuration through the otwincfg app, I was able to verify that the both the red and green LED works through the "Tuning/Diagnostics" section.

          After I wrote the config to the tracker and quit the program, the tracker seemed to be working as it was beaconing as expected.

          I noticed the green LED was not flashing however. Is it not supposed to flash to indicate it has GPS lock? I went back to the otwincfg / Tuning/Diagnostics section and was no longer able to get the green LED to light up.

          Have you run into this before? The firmware on the tracker is 56412.

          Thank you,
          Stephane

          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 17, 2013
            If you can't get the green LED to light from the tuning/diagnostics
            screen, it could be a bad solder joint. The OTUSB uses an 0805 size
            bicolor LED and they're probably the most problematic part on the board
            when it comes to proper solder flow. If you're OK with taking a
            soldering iron to it, you can touch up the four connections at the
            corners of the LED. A bit of flux will help a lot. And of course
            you're always welcome to send it back here for repair.

            Scott