DR-135 modification

    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 16 4:19 PM
      I've heard from a couple of people lately who have very early DR-135Ts
      that don't seem to put out 5v properly on the TNC connector. I seem to
      remember reading about a modification to fix it. Does anyone have
      information on that?

      Thanks,

      Scott
    • kg6bnl
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 27 4:29 PM
        Hi,
        I had an earlier post with this issue, but I just got around to doing the mod today. I used this regulator (although I imagine any that have an ENABLE line will do):
        https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11252

        and have it wired up with the EN line coming from the original 5v source for the TNC, the output going to the T3-135, and +12V and GND wired to the power supply.
        So far it seems to work (at least the T3-135 powers up and I can talk to it over USB), although I have not gone on the air yet.

        -Ben (KG6BNL)

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 29 4:12 PM
          Any chance you could take a picture or two of your mod?

          Thanks,

          Scott

          On 7/27/2013 4:29 PM, kg6bnl wrote:

          Hi,
          I had an earlier post with this issue, but I just got around to doing the mod today. I used this regulator (although I imagine any that have an ENABLE line will do):
          https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11252

          and have it wired up with the EN line coming from the original 5v source for the TNC, the output going to the T3-135, and +12V and GND wired to the power supply.
          So far it seems to work (at least the T3-135 powers up and I can talk to it over USB), although I have not gone on the air yet.

          -Ben (KG6BNL)

          > I've heard from a couple of people lately who have very early DR-135Ts
          > that don't seem to put out 5v properly on the TNC connector. I seem to
          > remember reading about a modification to fix it. Does anyone have
          > information on that?
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Scott

        • kg6bnl
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 2, 2013
            Hi,
            I put a post up about it here with pictures:
            http://blog.catsheavy.com/2013/08/02/dr-135-tnc-5v-regulator-modification/

            Hope this helps,
            -Ben (KG6BNL)

            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 2, 2013
              Excellent, thanks!

              Scott

              On 8/2/2013 12:19 AM, kg6bnl wrote:
              > Hi,
              > I put a post up about it here with pictures:
              > http://blog.catsheavy.com/2013/08/02/dr-135-tnc-5v-regulator-modification/
              >
              > Hope this helps,
              > -Ben (KG6BNL)

              > Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Any chance you could take a picture or two of your mod?
              > >
              > > Thanks,
              > >
              > > Scott

            • kg6bnl
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 6, 2013

                Hi,

                In case anyone else was doing this mod, it turns out that the input to the 7808 is probably not the best place to steal power from for the regulator. It turns out it's fed through a transistor Q122, which went out on my board at some point after doing the mod. Probably better to get the input to the regulator from some other place.

                -Ben (KG6BNL)