Re: KC2RTR not recieving packets

  • tedvawter
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 14, 2013
      Kevin,
      Thanks for the update!
      I was wondering about the power supply. Thought maybe the radio was getting keyed.
      Anyway, you got it working!! I really love mine! There is a balloon launch next weekend at a local hamfest. I want to see if I can track the landing. Have Topo 8 maps on a laptop, with GPS, and the balloon has an APRS on it

      Have fun!
      73
      ted
      ad1n

      --- In tracker2@yahoogroups..com, Kevin Shea <kevshea@...> wrote:

      > I'm up and running and installed the OT3 and rest of the gear in my vehicle. I see plenty of waypoints on the NUVI display! I even see my call sign under the car icon...
      >
      > One note: I mentioned earlier when bench testing this setup in my house, that I could not hear packet burst on the APRS network on my HT. Many of you passed on suggestions. I thought it was the 12 volt regulated power supply blocking the packets, so i reported this finding in my last posts...
      >
      > However, I decided to power everything with a 12 v DC battery while indoors and still I did not hear the burst coming in...so the final report is:
      >
      > It was NOT the 12v Power supply units that blocked the packets on my HT, but fault with my external antenna placement, which is a mobile 2 band is outside my room's window. The antenna is blocked by one side of the house, plus my neighbor's house is also blocking from another side. I gather this was enough to block any received packets.
      >
      > KC2RTR
      > -Kevin

    • Tony VE6MVP
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 14, 2013
        At 03:13 PM 2013-07-14, Kevin Shea wrote:
        I'm up and running and installed the OT3 and rest of the gear in my vehicle.  I see plenty of waypoints on the NUVI display!  I even see my call sign under the car icon...

        I usually run my Nuvi with the list of closest stations up.   The map is, after all, pretty small.   And I hope to get some kind of Bluetooth to serial adapter working so I can use APRSDroid on my tablet to display the objects in a much larger format.

        The nice thing about seeing your own call sign is that you can tell when your packet has been successfully digipeated and then decoded by your system.   With the default settings and I'm on the highway once I get to about 8 kms from my last position I know that the Tracker hasn't successfully done the decoding.  Or in town whenever I do a turn.

        Tony