Re: HELP...No APRS stations being received on the NUVI.

  • K2DMS
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 13, 2013
      I'm just taking a stab in the dark at this but I haven't seen any mention of a GTRANS between the radio and the Nuvi to convert the NMEA to FMI format. Is that not needed in this config?

      > Kevin KC2RTR wrote...
      >
      > > I've (almost) succesfully configured the OT3 /NUVI 350 to my
      > > Kenwood HT. I am sending APRS station information okay and
      > > can see my GPS location on APRS.fi. However, I can't seem
      > > to get (I think this is called?) waypoint output or other APRS
      > > stations to report and display on the NUVI 350 "Favorites"
      > > or to display in Maps?
      >
      > You already stated that WAYPOINTS was ON. What if anything
      > do you have entered for MAXRANGE? WPTLEN can be set
      > for between 6 and 9. However...
      >
      > > When the Kenwood type mic/spkr is unplugged, I do not hear
      > > any packet burst, even when I disconnect the OT3 and Nuvi.
      >
      > If you aren't hearing any beacons,it would be pretty difficult
      > for the T3 to decode them. Check the radio. If you don't have
      > any test gear, at least see if it can hear anything at all such as
      > a not too close repeater or a simplex station across town.
      > Of course, "hearing" other APRS stations direct or via a
      > digi on 144.390 MHz would be a pretty good test too.
      >
      > 73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH

    • Keith VE7GDH
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 13, 2013
        K2DMS wrote...

        > I'm just taking a stab in the dark at this but I haven't seen any
        > mention of a GTRANS between the radio and the Nuvi to
        > convert the NMEA to FMI format. Is that not needed in this config?

        While a GTRANS cable would convert Garmin format to NMEA
        it would actually have to be the FMI cable to output waypoints
        to the Nuvi 350. The Nuvi would also have to be powered via
        the cradle unless some internal rewiring is done.

        73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
      • Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 13, 2013
          On 7/13/2013 1:32 PM, Keith VE7GDH wrote:
          > While a GTRANS cable would convert Garmin format to NMEA
          > it would actually have to be the FMI cable to output waypoints
          > to the Nuvi 350. The Nuvi would also have to be powered via
          > the cradle unless some internal rewiring is done.

          In addition to converting the Nuvi Garmin protocol to NMEA, the GTRANS
          also converts the NMEA waypoint outputs from the Kenwood radios to the
          required protocol to put them on the Nuvi screen.

          (and user of a GTRANS on my KJ4ERJ-11 D700)
        • Keith VE7GDH
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 13, 2013
            Lynn IJ4ERJ wrote...

            > In addition to converting the Nuvi Garmin protocol to NMEA,
            > the GTRANS also converts the NMEA waypoint outputs from
            > the Kenwood radios to the required protocol to put them on
            > the Nuvi screen.

            Thanks for the update. That's good to know. I do actually have
            a GTRANS cable, but just got it for the sake of having one just in
            case it was ever needed.

            73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
            www.ui-view.org
          • Keith VE7GDH
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 13, 2013
              I said...

              > Lynn IJ4ERJ wrote...

              Sorry about that. I must have had PASSALL ON - hi! That should
              of course have been KJ4ERJ.

              73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH