Re: [tracker2] KC2RTR not recieving packets

  • Keith VE7GDH
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 12, 2013
      Ted AD1N wrote...

      > Also check to make sure that there is no "Tone" mode selected
      > on receive.

      I was just going to ask Kevin if the radio had CTCSS enabled!

      73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
    • tedvawter
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 12, 2013
        OK, Radio is working. Try tuning the vfo mode to 144.390. You should be able to hear packets. If hear them on the vfo, you should be able to hear them on the memory channel. Can you open the squelch on the memory channel and hear noise? Possibly a stray signal is blocking the receiver. Have a friend listen on a different radio. If you can't hear packets,nothing else is going to work.

        ted
        ad1n

        frequency

        --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, kevin shea <kevshea@...> wrote:

        > Thanks Ted,
        >
        > I'm not in Tone mode. I can hear my local repeater and weather service.
        > I will recheck the simplex , offset and squelch as you suggested.
        > However, I'm using the same saved "stored" channel as before with the
        > hockey puck GPS.
        >
        > -Kevin
        >
        > On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 12:20 PM, tedvawter wrote:
        >
        > Kevin,
        > Start with the basics. Can you open the squelch and hear just noise? If
        > you cannot do that, are you hearing repeaters or simplex, National
        > weather service of anything on the radio? Also check to make sure that
        > there is no "Tone" mode selected on recieve. Make sure that the transmit
        > and receive frequencies are the same, simplex, no + or - offset.
        >
        > Ted
        > AD1N
        >

        > <javascript:parent.wgMail.openComposeWindow('ygroupsnotifications@yahoogroups.com')>

      • Kevin Shea
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 12, 2013
          Thanks guys, With just the HT, I opened up the squelch and I hear just white noise.  My setting are No Offset,  Tone =off CTCSS=off and my MemoryRecall and VFO are both set the same.

          Since this HT is a dual band, I tried the same 144390 on Band "B" and have same results.  I'm wondering if someone else has a Kenwood THD7a(g) HT can try and tune in 144390mhz as a stand alone radio and hear packets?   I don't ever recall hearing packet burst on this radio without first using the internal TNC and Bcon with the Band "A" designated as the DATA band?

          Also, I wish I hadn't "gutted" my original DB-9 cable, so I can retry everything with the Argent hockey puck as it was before I received the OT3 to compare results..

          I'm going to figure this out soon enough or replace this radio. Thank you, I believe you all may have pin-pointed me to the issue with why I'm not receiving waypoints on the NUVI

          -Kevin
          KC2RTR.

          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 12, 2013
            UPDATE: Ted I think you solved it.  I just tried my HT in my car and instantly I hear the packets!  My home 12v regulated power supplies (I own two units and tried both) in my house as you stated IS blocking the receiver.

            I had been home bench testing my configuration with both these power supplies!  (My HT battery would have elliminated this, but the NiCad died sometime ago)

            Next, I'm going to install this OT3 configuration in my vehicle in the next days...

            Thank you all again in solving this strange issue!  I DON'T HAVE TO SPEND $$$ TO PURCHASE ANOTHER RADIO!

            73
            KC2RTR

            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 12, 2013
              Kevin KC2RTR wrote...

              > Thanks guys, With just the HT, I opened up the squelch and I hear
              > just white noise. My setting are No Offset, Tone =off CTCSS=off
              > and my MemoryRecall and VFO are both set the same.

              I don't have a D7, but on a D72, the only way I was able to "mute"
              received audio on the speaker was by enabling CTCSS or DCS, or
              by turning "voice alert" on which is just CTCSS with a 100 Hz tone.
              However you confirmed that it is turned off. Did the D7 have the
              voice alert function?

              I think your radio is broken. I'll give you $25 for it - hi!. 8-)

              73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
            • Kevin Shea
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 12, 2013
                Yeah i did have it...It was off, but I read something about using CTCSS with 100 Hx tone for APRS.  I tried that as well!  Anyway,...My last post was the solution...Ted (ad1n) had mentioned about something cancelling out or blocking the channel and he was correct.  My two 12v regulated (Radio Shack Micranta) most likely caused this as I was able to hear the packet burst in my car via 12volt adapter.

                Speaking off $25...I'm amazed how much used THD7A(g) go for on EBAY!  I think I paid somewhere in the neighborhood of $380 for a new unit 7 years ago.  I see them used in the $200-285 range!

                Thank you for your help!  Looking forward to installing this ot3 unit over the next day or two.

                73
                KCRTR

                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 14, 2013
                  I'm up and running and installed the OT3 and rest of the gear in my vehicle.  I see plenty of waypoints on the NUVI display!  I even see my call sign under the car icon...

                  One note: I mentioned earlier when bench testing this setup in my house, that I could not hear packet burst on the APRS network on my HT.  Many of you passed on suggestions.  I thought it was the 12 volt regulated power supply blocking the packets, so i reported this finding in my last posts...

                  However, I decided to power everything with a 12 v DC battery while indoors and still I did not hear the burst coming in...so the final report is:

                      It was NOT the 12v Power supply units that blocked the packets on my HT, but fault with my external antenna placement, which is a mobile 2 band is outside my room's window.  The antenna is  blocked by one side of the house, plus my neighbor's house is also blocking from another side.  I gather this was enough to block any received packets.

                  KC2RTR
                  -Kevin

                • tedvawter
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 14, 2013
                    Kevin,
                    Thanks for the update!
                    I was wondering about the power supply. Thought maybe the radio was getting keyed.
                    Anyway, you got it working!! I really love mine! There is a balloon launch next weekend at a local hamfest. I want to see if I can track the landing. Have Topo 8 maps on a laptop, with GPS, and the balloon has an APRS on it

                    Have fun!
                    73
                    ted
                    ad1n

                    --- In tracker2@yahoogroups..com, Kevin Shea <kevshea@...> wrote:

                    > I'm up and running and installed the OT3 and rest of the gear in my vehicle. I see plenty of waypoints on the NUVI display! I even see my call sign under the car icon...
                    >
                    > One note: I mentioned earlier when bench testing this setup in my house, that I could not hear packet burst on the APRS network on my HT. Many of you passed on suggestions. I thought it was the 12 volt regulated power supply blocking the packets, so i reported this finding in my last posts...
                    >
                    > However, I decided to power everything with a 12 v DC battery while indoors and still I did not hear the burst coming in...so the final report is:
                    >
                    > It was NOT the 12v Power supply units that blocked the packets on my HT, but fault with my external antenna placement, which is a mobile 2 band is outside my room's window. The antenna is blocked by one side of the house, plus my neighbor's house is also blocking from another side. I gather this was enough to block any received packets.
                    >
                    > KC2RTR
                    > -Kevin

                  • Tony VE6MVP
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 14, 2013
                      At 03:13 PM 2013-07-14, Kevin Shea wrote:
                      I'm up and running and installed the OT3 and rest of the gear in my vehicle.  I see plenty of waypoints on the NUVI display!  I even see my call sign under the car icon...

                      I usually run my Nuvi with the list of closest stations up.   The map is, after all, pretty small.   And I hope to get some kind of Bluetooth to serial adapter working so I can use APRSDroid on my tablet to display the objects in a much larger format.

                      The nice thing about seeing your own call sign is that you can tell when your packet has been successfully digipeated and then decoded by your system.   With the default settings and I'm on the highway once I get to about 8 kms from my last position I know that the Tracker hasn't successfully done the decoding.  Or in town whenever I do a turn.

                      Tony