HELP...No APRS stations being received on the NUVI.

  • kevinshea83
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 12, 2013
      I've (almost) succesfully configured the OT3 /NUVI 350 to my Kenwood HT. I am sending APRS station information okay and can see my GPS location on APRS.fi. However, I can't seem to get (I think this is called?) waypoint output or other APRS stations to report and display on the NUVI 350 "Favorites" or to display in Maps? Note: I can send "--path" and other commands to the OT3 and I receive the pop-up envelope okay on the Nuvi. (Note: Waypoint Ouput is enabled in OT3 config)

      Can anyone suggest areas or ideas to troubleshoot? I'm not sure If I have a configuration issue with OT3 or my Kenwood HT (or both)!

      * I may also have a hardware issue pertaining to the pin-out wire incorrectly placed on the Argent Kenwood Style mic/speaker plug?
      This is what I followed:
      Red - Speaker
      Green - Mic
      Blue - PTT (if used)
      Clear - Ground

      My Kenwood HT mic/speaker schmatic is here (page 96)
      http://manual.kenwood.com/files/TH-D7-English.pdf

      I also have tried to alter the HT volume control, without any result. I have left the jumpers in the OT3 in their default locations from the factory.

      Currently, I have the setup indoors in my house using an external GPS antenna connected to Garmin NUVI 350. OT3 and Nuvi is connected via mini B to serial p/n 010-10813-00 wire. My radio is a Kenwood TH-D7Ag HT connected to an external antenna, with Argent Kenwood type MIC / Speaker plug. My HT has a built in TNC and Beacon that I have "off" and my HT tuned to 144.390 mhz. When the Kenwood type mic/spkr is unplugged, I do not hear any packet burst, even when I disconnect the OT3 and Nuvi.

      I tried a Kenwood "Full Radio Reset" and also cleared the Garmin Nuvi 350 with the power-on reset several time with the same results.

      Hopefully this problem resolution is something simple!

      Thank you for your time,

      Kevin Shea

      KC2RTR

      *Additional OT3 info: Serial ports in OT3 are set to: A: 9600 BAUD MODE = GARMIN
      B: 4800 BAUD, MODE = AUTO
    • Keith VE7GDH
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 12, 2013
        Kevin KC2RTR wrote...

        > I've (almost) succesfully configured the OT3 /NUVI 350 to my
        > Kenwood HT. I am sending APRS station information okay and
        > can see my GPS location on APRS.fi. However, I can't seem
        > to get (I think this is called?) waypoint output or other APRS
        > stations to report and display on the NUVI 350 "Favorites"
        > or to display in Maps?

        You already stated that WAYPOINTS was ON. What if anything
        do you have entered for MAXRANGE? WPTLEN can be set
        for between 6 and 9. However...

        > When the Kenwood type mic/spkr is unplugged, I do not hear
        > any packet burst, even when I disconnect the OT3 and Nuvi.

        If you aren't hearing any beacons,it would be pretty difficult
        for the T3 to decode them. Check the radio. If you don't have
        any test gear, at least see if it can hear anything at all such as
        a not too close repeater or a simplex station across town.
        Of course, "hearing" other APRS stations direct or via a
        digi on 144.390 MHz would be a pretty good test too.

        73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
      • kevin shea
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 12, 2013
          Thanks Keith

          Yes waypoints is enabled.  I have the "Limit To 50 Miles" checked on.  (However, I also have unchecked this box and same results)  I have Waypoint @ 9 characters length

          >If you aren't hearing any beacons,it would be pretty difficult
          >for the T3 to decode them. Check the radio. If you don't have
          >any test gear, at least see if it can hear anything at all such as
          >a not too close repeater or a simplex station across town.
          >Of course, "hearing" other APRS stations direct or via a
          >digi on 144.390 MHz would be a pretty good test too.

          Before I upgraded to the OT3, I had the Argent hockey puck GPS connected the HT.  I activated the internal TNC and Beacon on the Kenwood and I could hear packet burst all day long!  I can still do this, but I have to turn on the Kenwood's TNC and Beacon and connect the hockey puck GPS.  I don't own another radio to listen, but I'm not seeing the HT's green RX light coming on (just TX red light).

          -Kevin
          KC2RTR

        • K2DMS
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 13, 2013
            I'm just taking a stab in the dark at this but I haven't seen any mention of a GTRANS between the radio and the Nuvi to convert the NMEA to FMI format. Is that not needed in this config?

            > Kevin KC2RTR wrote...
            >
            > > I've (almost) succesfully configured the OT3 /NUVI 350 to my
            > > Kenwood HT. I am sending APRS station information okay and
            > > can see my GPS location on APRS.fi. However, I can't seem
            > > to get (I think this is called?) waypoint output or other APRS
            > > stations to report and display on the NUVI 350 "Favorites"
            > > or to display in Maps?
            >
            > You already stated that WAYPOINTS was ON. What if anything
            > do you have entered for MAXRANGE? WPTLEN can be set
            > for between 6 and 9. However...
            >
            > > When the Kenwood type mic/spkr is unplugged, I do not hear
            > > any packet burst, even when I disconnect the OT3 and Nuvi.
            >
            > If you aren't hearing any beacons,it would be pretty difficult
            > for the T3 to decode them. Check the radio. If you don't have
            > any test gear, at least see if it can hear anything at all such as
            > a not too close repeater or a simplex station across town.
            > Of course, "hearing" other APRS stations direct or via a
            > digi on 144.390 MHz would be a pretty good test too.
            >
            > 73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH

          • Keith VE7GDH
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 13, 2013
              K2DMS wrote...

              > I'm just taking a stab in the dark at this but I haven't seen any
              > mention of a GTRANS between the radio and the Nuvi to
              > convert the NMEA to FMI format. Is that not needed in this config?

              While a GTRANS cable would convert Garmin format to NMEA
              it would actually have to be the FMI cable to output waypoints
              to the Nuvi 350. The Nuvi would also have to be powered via
              the cradle unless some internal rewiring is done.

              73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
            • Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 13, 2013
                On 7/13/2013 1:32 PM, Keith VE7GDH wrote:
                > While a GTRANS cable would convert Garmin format to NMEA
                > it would actually have to be the FMI cable to output waypoints
                > to the Nuvi 350. The Nuvi would also have to be powered via
                > the cradle unless some internal rewiring is done.

                In addition to converting the Nuvi Garmin protocol to NMEA, the GTRANS
                also converts the NMEA waypoint outputs from the Kenwood radios to the
                required protocol to put them on the Nuvi screen.

                (and user of a GTRANS on my KJ4ERJ-11 D700)
              • Keith VE7GDH
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 13, 2013
                  Lynn IJ4ERJ wrote...

                  > In addition to converting the Nuvi Garmin protocol to NMEA,
                  > the GTRANS also converts the NMEA waypoint outputs from
                  > the Kenwood radios to the required protocol to put them on
                  > the Nuvi screen.

                  Thanks for the update. That's good to know. I do actually have
                  a GTRANS cable, but just got it for the sake of having one just in
                  case it was ever needed.

                  73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
                  www.ui-view.org
                • Keith VE7GDH
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 13, 2013
                    I said...

                    > Lynn IJ4ERJ wrote...

                    Sorry about that. I must have had PASSALL ON - hi! That should
                    of course have been KJ4ERJ.

                    73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH