Re: [tracker2] Re: T3-Micro released

    Message 1 of 25 , Jul 4, 2013
      I don't think you'd get more than a few mA that way, and it needs around 50 mA.  I'm working on a battery-powered design that would be more suitable.

      Scott

      On 7/4/2013 10:54 AM, smolesbrede wrote:

      Hi Scott,

      An amazingly small unit. Would there be enough power on the mic jack of a Kenwood/Wouxun handheld to run it?

      I was thinking of a board without the USB plug and TRRS socket in an enclosure with Kenwood type plug and USB micro socket that plugs straight into a handheld. Given the price of Icom/Kenwood/Yaesu APRS handhelds I thought it might be worth a try.

      73 de Martin M0MJU

      > Hi all,
      >
      > The T3-Micro is now available for beta testing. This is a full Tracker3
      > (including digipeating capability) in a USB dongle form factor with an
      > on-board GPS receiver.
      >
      > The only external connections are the USB connector and the 3.5mm TRRS
      > plug for the radio interface, so you can't use it for Garmin FMI
      > operation, but it makes a very compact standalone tracker or basic TNC.
      >
      > Thanks to the new pass-through option for NMEA data, you can use it with
      > non-APRS applications as a USB GPS receiver, and applications like
      > APRSISCE/32 that support NMEA within KISS frames can use it as a GPS
      > receiver and TNC simultaneously.
      >
      > For mobile applications you can run it from a cigarette lighter USB
      > adapter, and for portable use it'll run off of a USB battery pack.
      > There's no enclosure for it yet, and I can't guarantee there will ever
      > be one that fits this version, but at least for the duration of the beta
      > test period you get a GPS receiver and tracker/TNC for less than what
      > some places charge for a USB GPS receiver alone.
      >
      > You can buy it in our store for $65:
      >
      > https://www.argentdata.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=170
      >
      > More information is available on the wiki:
      >
      > http://wiki.argentdata.com/index.php?title=T3-Micro
      >
      > We've only got a handful of these boards ready to go right now, but
      > we'll have another batch done in a couple of weeks.
      >
      > 73,
      >
      > Scott
      > N1VG

    • caanuck
      Message 2 of 25 , Jul 5, 2013
        What he said X2!
        I am looking to re create the yaesu GPS external microphone unit for use with another ht radio. This size (and with gps included) unit would work very well, what are the power requirements for the micro?

        --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "smolesbrede" <martinju@...> wrote:

        > Hi Scott,
        >
        > An amazingly small unit. Would there be enough power on the mic jack of a Kenwood/Wouxun handheld to run it?
        >
        > I was thinking of a board without the USB plug and TRRS socket in an enclosure with Kenwood type plug and USB micro socket that plugs straight into a handheld. Given the price of Icom/Kenwood/Yaesu APRS handhelds I thought it might be worth a try.
        >
        > 73 de Martin M0MJU
      • smolesbrede
        Message 3 of 25 , Jul 6, 2013
          Yes, only 3.5mA. The first reference I found was miles out!! Ok so now it looks like a little internal modification to my Wouxun to get some power out. I would still like to have a go, so would I be able to order one without the USB plug?

          73 de Martin M0MJU.

          Message 4 of 25 , Jul 7, 2013
            You can make a note of that on the order, but you'll have to wait until we build another batch, which could be a couple of weeks.

            Scott