Re: [tracker2] Re: T3-Micro released

    Message 1 of 25 , Jul 3, 2013
      On 7/3/2013 1:03 PM, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:
      > "above 4800 baud" I assume means for the computer port. The GPS should
      > be fine at 4800, right?

      Yes.

      > It'd probably be good practice to be at least 4 times the GPS speed on
      > the PC port, whichever you're using as which.

      You can just leave it set at 115200. But it's only passing GPRMC and
      GPGGA, so it's not going to totally overwhelm the channel.

      Scott
    • Fred Hillhouse
      Message 2 of 25 , Jul 3, 2013
        Good news! The OT3m NMEA pass-through is working. Scott released new
        firmware today (7/3/2013). Thanks Scott!

        I am using the USB port which is fixed at 9600. (At least I don't see a way
        to change it.)

        GPS on Port A works at 4800. I will try Port B later since I have a Port A/B
        splitter and would rather connect the GPS to B.

        My APRSIS32 OT3m port shows the NMEA data. I did not look at the NMEA log
        yet. It was a quick test.

        Only RMC and GGA are passed through. The satellite indicators at the bottom
        of APRSISCE/32 won't have data since I think that relies on the GSV sentence
        which has that data. I am going to miss that.

        This now allows me to remove my FTDI 4-port serial adapter and only have one
        cable to the OT3m and one on to the GPS. I am liking it!

        Thanks Scott and Lynn for adding this feature to the OT3m and APRSISCE/32!

        Best regards,
        Fred N7FMH
      • smolesbrede
        Message 3 of 25 , Jul 4, 2013
          Hi Scott,

          An amazingly small unit. Would there be enough power on the mic jack of a Kenwood/Wouxun handheld to run it?

          I was thinking of a board without the USB plug and TRRS socket in an enclosure with Kenwood type plug and USB micro socket that plugs straight into a handheld. Given the price of Icom/Kenwood/Yaesu APRS handhelds I thought it might be worth a try.

          73 de Martin M0MJU

          Message 4 of 25 , Jul 4, 2013
            I don't think you'd get more than a few mA that way, and it needs around 50 mA.  I'm working on a battery-powered design that would be more suitable.

            Scott

            On 7/4/2013 10:54 AM, smolesbrede wrote:

            Hi Scott,

            An amazingly small unit. Would there be enough power on the mic jack of a Kenwood/Wouxun handheld to run it?

            I was thinking of a board without the USB plug and TRRS socket in an enclosure with Kenwood type plug and USB micro socket that plugs straight into a handheld. Given the price of Icom/Kenwood/Yaesu APRS handhelds I thought it might be worth a try.

            73 de Martin M0MJU

            > Hi all,
            >
            > The T3-Micro is now available for beta testing. This is a full Tracker3
            > (including digipeating capability) in a USB dongle form factor with an
            > on-board GPS receiver.
            >
            > The only external connections are the USB connector and the 3.5mm TRRS
            > plug for the radio interface, so you can't use it for Garmin FMI
            > operation, but it makes a very compact standalone tracker or basic TNC.
            >
            > Thanks to the new pass-through option for NMEA data, you can use it with
            > non-APRS applications as a USB GPS receiver, and applications like
            > APRSISCE/32 that support NMEA within KISS frames can use it as a GPS
            > receiver and TNC simultaneously.
            >
            > For mobile applications you can run it from a cigarette lighter USB
            > adapter, and for portable use it'll run off of a USB battery pack.
            > There's no enclosure for it yet, and I can't guarantee there will ever
            > be one that fits this version, but at least for the duration of the beta
            > test period you get a GPS receiver and tracker/TNC for less than what
            > some places charge for a USB GPS receiver alone.
            >
            > You can buy it in our store for $65:
            >
            > https://www.argentdata.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=170
            >
            > More information is available on the wiki:
            >
            > http://wiki.argentdata.com/index.php?title=T3-Micro
            >
            > We've only got a handful of these boards ready to go right now, but
            > we'll have another batch done in a couple of weeks.
            >
            > 73,
            >
            > Scott
            > N1VG

          • caanuck
            Message 5 of 25 , Jul 5, 2013
              What he said X2!
              I am looking to re create the yaesu GPS external microphone unit for use with another ht radio. This size (and with gps included) unit would work very well, what are the power requirements for the micro?

              --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "smolesbrede" <martinju@...> wrote:

              > Hi Scott,
              >
              > An amazingly small unit. Would there be enough power on the mic jack of a Kenwood/Wouxun handheld to run it?
              >
              > I was thinking of a board without the USB plug and TRRS socket in an enclosure with Kenwood type plug and USB micro socket that plugs straight into a handheld. Given the price of Icom/Kenwood/Yaesu APRS handhelds I thought it might be worth a try.
              >
              > 73 de Martin M0MJU
            • smolesbrede
              Message 6 of 25 , Jul 6, 2013
                Yes, only 3.5mA. The first reference I found was miles out!! Ok so now it looks like a little internal modification to my Wouxun to get some power out. I would still like to have a go, so would I be able to order one without the USB plug?

                73 de Martin M0MJU.

                Message 7 of 25 , Jul 7, 2013
                  You can make a note of that on the order, but you'll have to wait until we build another batch, which could be a couple of weeks.

                  Scott