RE: [tracker2] Re: T3-Micro released

  • Fred Hillhouse
    Message 1 of 25 , Jul 3, 2013
      Hi Scott,

      If I had a 9600 baud GPS I would try it.

      What happens if the GPS is 4800?

      That seems to be all that is left since I am using USB, Port A and NMEAPASS
      is ON.

      Thanks!

      Best regards,
      Fred N7FMH

      Message 2 of 25 , Jul 3, 2013
        The GPS can be any speed, but your console port should be faster than
        the GPS port to keep things from getting backed up.

        Scott

        On 7/3/2013 10:59 AM, Fred Hillhouse wrote:
        > Hi Scott,
        >
        > If I had a 9600 baud GPS I would try it.
        >
        > What happens if the GPS is 4800?
        >
        > That seems to be all that is left since I am using USB, Port A and NMEAPASS
        > is ON.
        >
        > Thanks!
        >
        > Best regards,
        > Fred N7FMH

      • Fred Hillhouse
        Message 3 of 25 , Jul 3, 2013
          Great! I'll try it on the way home tonight.

          Thanks for the great response!

          Best regards,
          Fred N7FMH

        • Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
          Message 4 of 25 , Jul 3, 2013
            "above 4800 baud" I assume means for the computer port. The GPS should
            be fine at 4800, right?

            It'd probably be good practice to be at least 4 times the GPS speed on
            the PC port, whichever you're using as which.

            (and still not sure which Trace Log is going to show this information,
            so keep using the terminal emulator until you see NMEA sentences
            interleaved with packet payloads. Of course the AX.25 headers on the
            packets will be gibberish, for those that aren't familiar with KISS).

            Message 5 of 25 , Jul 3, 2013
              On 7/3/2013 1:03 PM, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:
              > "above 4800 baud" I assume means for the computer port. The GPS should
              > be fine at 4800, right?

              Yes.

              > It'd probably be good practice to be at least 4 times the GPS speed on
              > the PC port, whichever you're using as which.

              You can just leave it set at 115200. But it's only passing GPRMC and
              GPGGA, so it's not going to totally overwhelm the channel.

              Scott
            • Fred Hillhouse
              Message 6 of 25 , Jul 3, 2013
                Good news! The OT3m NMEA pass-through is working. Scott released new
                firmware today (7/3/2013). Thanks Scott!

                I am using the USB port which is fixed at 9600. (At least I don't see a way
                to change it.)

                GPS on Port A works at 4800. I will try Port B later since I have a Port A/B
                splitter and would rather connect the GPS to B.

                My APRSIS32 OT3m port shows the NMEA data. I did not look at the NMEA log
                yet. It was a quick test.

                Only RMC and GGA are passed through. The satellite indicators at the bottom
                of APRSISCE/32 won't have data since I think that relies on the GSV sentence
                which has that data. I am going to miss that.

                This now allows me to remove my FTDI 4-port serial adapter and only have one
                cable to the OT3m and one on to the GPS. I am liking it!

                Thanks Scott and Lynn for adding this feature to the OT3m and APRSISCE/32!

                Best regards,
                Fred N7FMH
              • smolesbrede
                Message 7 of 25 , Jul 4, 2013
                  Hi Scott,

                  An amazingly small unit. Would there be enough power on the mic jack of a Kenwood/Wouxun handheld to run it?

                  I was thinking of a board without the USB plug and TRRS socket in an enclosure with Kenwood type plug and USB micro socket that plugs straight into a handheld. Given the price of Icom/Kenwood/Yaesu APRS handhelds I thought it might be worth a try.

                  73 de Martin M0MJU

                  Message 8 of 25 , Jul 4, 2013
                    I don't think you'd get more than a few mA that way, and it needs around 50 mA.  I'm working on a battery-powered design that would be more suitable.

                    Scott

                    On 7/4/2013 10:54 AM, smolesbrede wrote:

                    Hi Scott,

                    An amazingly small unit. Would there be enough power on the mic jack of a Kenwood/Wouxun handheld to run it?

                    I was thinking of a board without the USB plug and TRRS socket in an enclosure with Kenwood type plug and USB micro socket that plugs straight into a handheld. Given the price of Icom/Kenwood/Yaesu APRS handhelds I thought it might be worth a try.

                    73 de Martin M0MJU

                    > Hi all,
                    >
                    > The T3-Micro is now available for beta testing. This is a full Tracker3
                    > (including digipeating capability) in a USB dongle form factor with an
                    > on-board GPS receiver.
                    >
                    > The only external connections are the USB connector and the 3.5mm TRRS
                    > plug for the radio interface, so you can't use it for Garmin FMI
                    > operation, but it makes a very compact standalone tracker or basic TNC.
                    >
                    > Thanks to the new pass-through option for NMEA data, you can use it with
                    > non-APRS applications as a USB GPS receiver, and applications like
                    > APRSISCE/32 that support NMEA within KISS frames can use it as a GPS
                    > receiver and TNC simultaneously.
                    >
                    > For mobile applications you can run it from a cigarette lighter USB
                    > adapter, and for portable use it'll run off of a USB battery pack.
                    > There's no enclosure for it yet, and I can't guarantee there will ever
                    > be one that fits this version, but at least for the duration of the beta
                    > test period you get a GPS receiver and tracker/TNC for less than what
                    > some places charge for a USB GPS receiver alone.
                    >
                    > You can buy it in our store for $65:
                    >
                    > https://www.argentdata.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=170
                    >
                    > More information is available on the wiki:
                    >
                    > http://wiki.argentdata.com/index.php?title=T3-Micro
                    >
                    > We've only got a handful of these boards ready to go right now, but
                    > we'll have another batch done in a couple of weeks.
                    >
                    > 73,
                    >
                    > Scott
                    > N1VG

                  • caanuck
                    Message 9 of 25 , Jul 5, 2013
                      What he said X2!
                      I am looking to re create the yaesu GPS external microphone unit for use with another ht radio. This size (and with gps included) unit would work very well, what are the power requirements for the micro?

                      --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "smolesbrede" <martinju@...> wrote:

                      > Hi Scott,
                      >
                      > An amazingly small unit. Would there be enough power on the mic jack of a Kenwood/Wouxun handheld to run it?
                      >
                      > I was thinking of a board without the USB plug and TRRS socket in an enclosure with Kenwood type plug and USB micro socket that plugs straight into a handheld. Given the price of Icom/Kenwood/Yaesu APRS handhelds I thought it might be worth a try.
                      >
                      > 73 de Martin M0MJU
                    • smolesbrede
                      Message 10 of 25 , Jul 6, 2013
                        Yes, only 3.5mA. The first reference I found was miles out!! Ok so now it looks like a little internal modification to my Wouxun to get some power out. I would still like to have a go, so would I be able to order one without the USB plug?

                        73 de Martin M0MJU.

                        Message 11 of 25 , Jul 7, 2013
                          You can make a note of that on the order, but you'll have to wait until we build another batch, which could be a couple of weeks.

                          Scott