1 GPS mouse feeding 2 x OTUSB?

  • f1mhv
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 2 5:46 AM
      Good day Group,

      Is-it possible to feed 2 x OTUSB with 1 GPS mouse with a kind of "Y" cable? I was thinking about reducing the amount cable while using one tracker in 300bd and the other one in 1200bd during mobile operation...

      73
    • Tom Crawford
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 2 5:58 AM

        You certainly can. You can have several "listeners" with one "talker" with NMEA 0183 systems.
        73,
        Tom

        On Jul 2, 2013, at 8:46 AM, "f1mhv" <F1MHV@...> wrote:

        Good day Group,

        Is-it possible to feed 2 x OTUSB with 1 GPS mouse with a kind of "Y" cable? I was thinking about reducing the amount cable while using one tracker in 300bd and the other one in 1200bd during mobile operation...

        73

      • Jason KG4WSV
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 2 6:56 AM

          On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 7:58 AM, Tom Crawford <tmcsail@...> wrote:
          You certainly can. You can have several "listeners" with one "talker" with NMEA 0183 systems.

          I know this usually works in practice, but doesn't RS232C specify a single transmitter and single receiver?

          -Jason
          kg4wsv
        • Tom Crawford
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 2 7:47 AM
            Thing is the GPS outputs are NMEA which is only "sort of" RS232. The listeners should have a high enough impedance that all is well. NMEA actually intends for this to work as this is the system concept for hooking up all of your plotters and autopilot to receive data from the one GPS on a boat. (After all, the M in NMEA stands for marine.)

            73, and have fun!
            Tom

            (See sailing vessel Tyche on W3TMC-5)

            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 2 9:21 AM

              On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 9:47 AM, Tom Crawford <tmcsail@...> wrote:
              Thing is the GPS outputs are NMEA which is only "sort of" RS232.

              Ah, didn't realize that NMEA was also an electrical specification.  I thought it was a protocol specification.

              -Jason
              kg4wsv
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 2 1:42 PM
                There's what the specs say, and what you can get away with doing.

                I doubt you'll find any recommendation in any automobile user manual
                for driving on 2 wheels on one side of the car, but you know there are
                people that will do it.

                Serial communications using the RS-232 specification protocol can be
                made to "talk" to multiple "listeners". You'll be hard pressed to find
                someone "official" tell you that you should do it, but it has been
                done successfully in the past, and will continue to be done in the
                future.

                --
                Sent from my mobile device