RE: [tracker2] T3-Micro released

  • Fred Hillhouse
    Message 1 of 25 , Jul 1, 2013
      Hi Scott,

      I see a new revision for the OT3 as well. With a quick peak at the
      configurations, I see GPSDATA OFF.

      If I set GPSDATA ON, will this pass GPS sentences through the USBKISS port?
      What sentences are sent?

      Thanks!

      Best regards,
      Fred N7FMH

      _____

      Message 2 of 25 , Jul 1, 2013

        Nice stuff on the T3 Micro.   I'd like to see devices with Bluetooth capability as well so I can use my Android devices to receive/send data.

        Tony
        Message 3 of 25 , Jul 1, 2013
          Already being tested. I grafted a Bluetooth module onto a T3-Mini and
          it's working fine. Kind of a pain to pair with my phone, but APRSDroid
          worked fine and I can access it using my desktop adapter.

          Scott

          On 7/1/2013 1:58 PM, Tony VE6MVP wrote:
          > Scott
          >
          > Nice stuff on the T3 Micro. I'd like to see devices with Bluetooth
          > capability as well so I can use my Android devices to receive/send data.
          >
          > Tony

        • Tony VE6MVP
          Message 4 of 25 , Jul 1, 2013
            Sweet!

            Tony

            At 03:41 PM 2013-07-01, Scott Miller wrote:
            >Already being tested.  I grafted a Bluetooth module onto a
            T3-Mini and
            >it's working fine.  Kind of a pain to pair with my phone, but
            APRSDroid
            >worked fine and I can access it using my desktop adapter.
            >
            >Scott
            >
            >On 7/1/2013 1:58 PM, Tony VE6MVP wrote:
            >> Scott
            >>
            >> Nice stuff on the T3 Micro.   I'd like to see devices
            with Bluetooth
            >> capability as well so I can use my Android devices to
            receive/send data.

            >> Tony

            ><*> Your email settings:
            >    Individual Email | Traditional
            >
            ><*> To change settings online go to:
            >    (Yahoo! ID required)
            >
            ><*> To change settings via email:
            >    tracker2-digest@yahoogroups.com
            >    tracker2-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            >    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
          • Tony VE6MVP
            Message 5 of 25 , Jul 1, 2013

              Just for my curiosity and you don't need to answer the question.  What's the approximate price of the Bluetooth modules in reasonable quantities of, say, 100?  I ask because you can buy a USB Bluetooth module on eBay for about $1 or $2 and yet Yaesu wants about $100 for the add-on for the FTM-350.

              Message 6 of 25 , Jul 1, 2013

                Message 7 of 25 , Jul 1, 2013
                  Under $10, but if it requires FCC certification in the end product that's going to affect the final price.

                  Scott

                  On 7/1/2013 11:13 PM, Tony VE6MVP wrote:

                  Scott

                  Just for my curiosity and you don't need to answer the question.  What's the approximate price of the Bluetooth modules in reasonable quantities of, say, 100?  I ask because you can buy a USB Bluetooth module on eBay for about $1 or $2 and yet Yaesu wants about $100 for the add-on for the FTM-350.

                  Tony

                  At 03:41 PM 2013-07-01, Scott Miller wrote:
                  >Already being tested.  I grafted a Bluetooth module onto a T3-Mini and
                  >it's working fine.  Kind of a pain to pair with my phone, but APRSDroid
                  >worked fine and I can access it using my desktop adapter.
                  >
                  >Scott
                  >
                  >On 7/1/2013 1:58 PM, Tony VE6MVP wrote:
                  >> Scott
                  >>
                  >> Nice stuff on the T3 Micro.   I'd like to see devices with Bluetooth
                  >> capability as well so I can use my Android devices to receive/send data.
                  >>
                  >> Tony

                  ><*> Your email settings:
                  >    Individual Email | Traditional
                  >
                  ><*> To change settings online go to:
                  >    (Yahoo! ID required)
                  >
                  ><*> To change settings via email:
                  >    tracker2-digest@yahoogroups.com
                  >    tracker2-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                  >    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                • Broncus
                  Message 8 of 25 , Jul 2, 2013
                    Hi Scott,

                    After a quick read, which could easily be my problem, I figured I would try passing NMEA through KISS on my OT3.

                    Before getting too far along, should this work in the OT3? If I have jumped the gun, tell me now.

                    If you are still reading, I guess I didn't, so ...

                    With a terminal application, there is no NMEA sentences in the KISS data stream. I see the wacky data from received beacons so the data path is good to the application.

                    Using the latest OTWINCFG (updated 7/2/13) and the latest beta build 56474 in the OT3, I added check to :
                    USBKISS (I am using the USB port)
                    NMEA P/T
                    HT PTT (checked and unchecked)
                    GPS Quality (checked and unchecked)

                    The GPS is connected to Port A but I have also tried Port B. The baud rate is 4800. The green LED flashes once a second. And, my position has been updated on the APRS-IS servers. I am suspicious of the 4800 baud since the T3-Micro requires 9600 but the GPS is out of my control.

                    After Ctrl-C * 3, typing NMEAPASS results were confirmed to be ON.

                    Any hints?

                    Thanks!

                    Best regards,
                    Fred N7FMH

                    Message 9 of 25 , Jul 2, 2013
                      > If I set GPSDATA ON, will this pass GPS sentences through the USBKISS port?
                      > What sentences are sent?

                      GPSDATA is for reporting HDOP and number of satellites in the status
                      text. Did you check out the wiki page for the micro? The command
                      you're looking for is NMEAPASS ON. It'll pass GPRMC and GPGGA.

                      Scott
                    • Broncus
                      Message 10 of 25 , Jul 2, 2013
                        I re-read it again and that smacked me right between the eyes. Somewhere in the queue, I have a follow-up.

                        Thanks!

                        Best regards,
                        Fred N7FMH

                        > > If I set GPSDATA ON, will this pass GPS sentences through the USBKISS port?
                        > > What sentences are sent?
                        >
                        > GPSDATA is for reporting HDOP and number of satellites in the status
                        > text. Did you check out the wiki page for the micro? The command
                        > you're looking for is NMEAPASS ON. It'll pass GPRMC and GPGGA.
                        >
                        > Scott

                      • Broncus
                        Message 11 of 25 , Jul 3, 2013
                          Hi Scott,

                          Verifying with a terminal application, there are no NMEA sentences in the KISS data stream.
                          I see other data from received beacons so the data path is good to the application.

                          Using the latest OTWINCFG (7/1/13) and the latest beta build 56474 in the OT3, I added check marks to:
                          USBKISS (I am using the USB port)
                          NMEA P/T

                          I tried with:
                          HT PTT (checked or unchecked)

                          The GPS is connected to Port A but I have also tried Port B. The baud rate is 4800. The green LED flashes once a second. And, my position has been updated on the APRS-IS (GPS FIX is required to transmit). I am suspicious of the 4800 baud since the T3-Micro requires 9600.

                          Any additional hints?

                          Thanks!

                          Best regards,
                          Fred N7FMH

                          Message 12 of 25 , Jul 3, 2013
                            First, you'll need to be running the latest beta firmware, but it sounds
                            like you've got that if it's saying NMEAPASS ON. Second, I've only
                            tested this over USB so far. It *should* work with port A, but I
                            haven't tried it and you'll definitely want to keep the baud rate above
                            4800 baud.

                            Scott

                            Message 13 of 25 , Jul 3, 2013
                              Dang it, when I switched from the development build to the main build I
                              forgot to switch to the new NMEA parser. I've fixed it and version
                              56476 is available for download now.

                              Scott

                              On 7/3/2013 3:34 AM, Broncus wrote:
                              > Hi Scott,
                              >
                              > Verifying with a terminal application, there are no NMEA sentences in
                              > the KISS data stream.
                              > I see other data from received beacons so the data path is good to the
                              > application.
                              >
                              > Using the latest OTWINCFG (7/1/13) and the latest beta build 56474 in
                              > the OT3, I added check marks to:
                              > USBKISS (I am using the USB port)
                              > NMEA P/T
                              >
                              > I tried with:
                              > HT PTT (checked or unchecked)
                              >
                              > The GPS is connected to Port A but I have also tried Port B. The baud
                              > rate is 4800. The green LED flashes once a second. And, my position has
                              > been updated on the APRS-IS (GPS FIX is required to transmit). I am
                              > suspicious of the 4800 baud since the T3-Micro requires 9600.
                              >
                              > Any additional hints?
                              >
                              > Thanks!
                              >
                              > Best regards,
                              > Fred N7FMH

                              > "Broncus" <fmhillhouse@...> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > I re-read it again and that smacked me right between the eyes.
                              > Somewhere in the queue, I have a follow-up.
                              > >
                              > > Thanks!
                              > >
                              > > Best regards,
                              > > Fred N7FMH

                              > USBKISS port?
                              > > >
                              > > > GPSDATA is for reporting HDOP and number of satellites in the status
                              > > > text. Did you check out the wiki page for the micro? The command
                              > > > you're looking for is NMEAPASS ON. It'll pass GPRMC and GPGGA.
                              > > >
                              > > > Scott

                            • Fred Hillhouse
                              Message 14 of 25 , Jul 3, 2013
                                Hi Scott,

                                If I had a 9600 baud GPS I would try it.

                                What happens if the GPS is 4800?

                                That seems to be all that is left since I am using USB, Port A and NMEAPASS
                                is ON.

                                Thanks!

                                Best regards,
                                Fred N7FMH

                                Message 15 of 25 , Jul 3, 2013
                                  The GPS can be any speed, but your console port should be faster than
                                  the GPS port to keep things from getting backed up.

                                  Scott

                                  On 7/3/2013 10:59 AM, Fred Hillhouse wrote:
                                  > Hi Scott,
                                  >
                                  > If I had a 9600 baud GPS I would try it.
                                  >
                                  > What happens if the GPS is 4800?
                                  >
                                  > That seems to be all that is left since I am using USB, Port A and NMEAPASS
                                  > is ON.
                                  >
                                  > Thanks!
                                  >
                                  > Best regards,
                                  > Fred N7FMH

                                • Fred Hillhouse
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Jul 3, 2013
                                    Great! I'll try it on the way home tonight.

                                    Thanks for the great response!

                                    Best regards,
                                    Fred N7FMH

                                  • Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Jul 3, 2013
                                      "above 4800 baud" I assume means for the computer port. The GPS should
                                      be fine at 4800, right?

                                      It'd probably be good practice to be at least 4 times the GPS speed on
                                      the PC port, whichever you're using as which.

                                      (and still not sure which Trace Log is going to show this information,
                                      so keep using the terminal emulator until you see NMEA sentences
                                      interleaved with packet payloads. Of course the AX.25 headers on the
                                      packets will be gibberish, for those that aren't familiar with KISS).

                                      Message 18 of 25 , Jul 3, 2013
                                        On 7/3/2013 1:03 PM, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:
                                        > "above 4800 baud" I assume means for the computer port. The GPS should
                                        > be fine at 4800, right?

                                        Yes.

                                        > It'd probably be good practice to be at least 4 times the GPS speed on
                                        > the PC port, whichever you're using as which.

                                        You can just leave it set at 115200. But it's only passing GPRMC and
                                        GPGGA, so it's not going to totally overwhelm the channel.

                                        Scott
                                      • Fred Hillhouse
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Jul 3, 2013
                                          Good news! The OT3m NMEA pass-through is working. Scott released new
                                          firmware today (7/3/2013). Thanks Scott!

                                          I am using the USB port which is fixed at 9600. (At least I don't see a way
                                          to change it.)

                                          GPS on Port A works at 4800. I will try Port B later since I have a Port A/B
                                          splitter and would rather connect the GPS to B.

                                          My APRSIS32 OT3m port shows the NMEA data. I did not look at the NMEA log
                                          yet. It was a quick test.

                                          Only RMC and GGA are passed through. The satellite indicators at the bottom
                                          of APRSISCE/32 won't have data since I think that relies on the GSV sentence
                                          which has that data. I am going to miss that.

                                          This now allows me to remove my FTDI 4-port serial adapter and only have one
                                          cable to the OT3m and one on to the GPS. I am liking it!

                                          Thanks Scott and Lynn for adding this feature to the OT3m and APRSISCE/32!

                                          Best regards,
                                          Fred N7FMH
                                        • smolesbrede
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Jul 4, 2013
                                            Hi Scott,

                                            An amazingly small unit. Would there be enough power on the mic jack of a Kenwood/Wouxun handheld to run it?

                                            I was thinking of a board without the USB plug and TRRS socket in an enclosure with Kenwood type plug and USB micro socket that plugs straight into a handheld. Given the price of Icom/Kenwood/Yaesu APRS handhelds I thought it might be worth a try.

                                            73 de Martin M0MJU

                                            Message 21 of 25 , Jul 4, 2013
                                              I don't think you'd get more than a few mA that way, and it needs around 50 mA.  I'm working on a battery-powered design that would be more suitable.

                                              Scott

                                              On 7/4/2013 10:54 AM, smolesbrede wrote:

                                              Hi Scott,

                                              An amazingly small unit. Would there be enough power on the mic jack of a Kenwood/Wouxun handheld to run it?

                                              I was thinking of a board without the USB plug and TRRS socket in an enclosure with Kenwood type plug and USB micro socket that plugs straight into a handheld. Given the price of Icom/Kenwood/Yaesu APRS handhelds I thought it might be worth a try.

                                              73 de Martin M0MJU

                                              > Hi all,
                                              >
                                              > The T3-Micro is now available for beta testing. This is a full Tracker3
                                              > (including digipeating capability) in a USB dongle form factor with an
                                              > on-board GPS receiver.
                                              >
                                              > The only external connections are the USB connector and the 3.5mm TRRS
                                              > plug for the radio interface, so you can't use it for Garmin FMI
                                              > operation, but it makes a very compact standalone tracker or basic TNC.
                                              >
                                              > Thanks to the new pass-through option for NMEA data, you can use it with
                                              > non-APRS applications as a USB GPS receiver, and applications like
                                              > APRSISCE/32 that support NMEA within KISS frames can use it as a GPS
                                              > receiver and TNC simultaneously.
                                              >
                                              > For mobile applications you can run it from a cigarette lighter USB
                                              > adapter, and for portable use it'll run off of a USB battery pack.
                                              > There's no enclosure for it yet, and I can't guarantee there will ever
                                              > be one that fits this version, but at least for the duration of the beta
                                              > test period you get a GPS receiver and tracker/TNC for less than what
                                              > some places charge for a USB GPS receiver alone.
                                              >
                                              > You can buy it in our store for $65:
                                              >
                                              > https://www.argentdata.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=170
                                              >
                                              > More information is available on the wiki:
                                              >
                                              > http://wiki.argentdata.com/index.php?title=T3-Micro
                                              >
                                              > We've only got a handful of these boards ready to go right now, but
                                              > we'll have another batch done in a couple of weeks.
                                              >
                                              > 73,
                                              >
                                              > Scott
                                              > N1VG

                                            • caanuck
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Jul 5, 2013
                                                What he said X2!
                                                I am looking to re create the yaesu GPS external microphone unit for use with another ht radio. This size (and with gps included) unit would work very well, what are the power requirements for the micro?

                                                --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "smolesbrede" <martinju@...> wrote:

                                                > Hi Scott,
                                                >
                                                > An amazingly small unit. Would there be enough power on the mic jack of a Kenwood/Wouxun handheld to run it?
                                                >
                                                > I was thinking of a board without the USB plug and TRRS socket in an enclosure with Kenwood type plug and USB micro socket that plugs straight into a handheld. Given the price of Icom/Kenwood/Yaesu APRS handhelds I thought it might be worth a try.
                                                >
                                                > 73 de Martin M0MJU
                                              • smolesbrede
                                                Message 23 of 25 , Jul 6, 2013
                                                  Yes, only 3.5mA. The first reference I found was miles out!! Ok so now it looks like a little internal modification to my Wouxun to get some power out. I would still like to have a go, so would I be able to order one without the USB plug?

                                                  73 de Martin M0MJU.

                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Jul 7, 2013
                                                    You can make a note of that on the order, but you'll have to wait until we build another batch, which could be a couple of weeks.

                                                    Scott