RE: [tracker2] Re: Tracker to Nuvi 350

  • Fred Hillhouse
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 7, 2013
      This may have been covered already, but, have you updated you Nuvi 350s to the latest version? I seem to recall this is important.

      Best regards,
      Fred, N7FMH

      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 7, 2013
        Yeah,
        Both of the nuvis are up to date, version 6.3 I think.

        I have just found the Fmi cable has no connectivity from the yellow wire to any of the pins on the mini USB plug. From what I can see in the wiring diagrams in the files section the yellow should be a straight run from nuvi to the t3-mini for serial comms.

        I will try to get a replacement cable to take the place of this one, after that the only thing I haven't changed out is the t3-mini tracker itself.

        Keep the ideas coming!

        Eric
        VK2CNK

        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 7, 2013
          There won't be continuity - there's a level shifter and inverter in the
          cable.

          Scott

          On 6/7/2013 6:03 PM, caanuck wrote:
          > Yeah,
          >
          > Both of the nuvis are up to date, version 6.3 I think.
          >
          > I have just found the Fmi cable has no connectivity from the yellow wire
          > to any of the pins on the mini USB plug. From what I can see in the
          > wiring diagrams in the files section the yellow should be a straight run
          > from nuvi to the t3-mini for serial comms.
          >
          > I will try to get a replacement cable to take the place of this one,
          > after that the only thing I haven't changed out is the t3-mini tracker
          > itself.
          >
          > Keep the ideas coming!
          >
          > Eric
          > VK2CNK
          >

          > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "Fred Hillhouse" wrote:
          > >
          > > This may have been covered already, but, have you updated you Nuvi
          > 350s to
          > > the latest version? I seem to recall this is important.
          > >
          > > Best regards,
          > > Fred, N7FMH

        • caanuck
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 10, 2013
            So,
            I started fresh, cleaned up the t3-mini board, removed all the soldering and started again. set it up on the workbench and guess what - it worked! full blinking green light, changed the nuvi into dispatch mode, sending beacons with gps data included - the whole thing! So I assembled it into its case and took it for a drive, sent some messages and left it on for a bit, about an hour and now it is dead, no signs of life when powered by USB or by 12v direct connection...reset does nothing and the safe mode doesn;t work either. I think I've toasted it.

            My only conclusion is that the problem was not with the board or in the FMI cable but with the way I had soldered and assembled the unit in its tic tac case. There was probably some exposed wire that shorted or touched somewhere on the components on the board during assembly. It worked for a while and then quit after being left for an hour.

            A word of caution for others, the insulation on the wires does melt back and expose the conducter further than you think especially on the radio connection cable and the ground wire is bare. These require some carefull cable routing, strain relief, and/or special attention to cover these bare conductors before you cram the finished unit into a case.

            Lessoned learned and thanks to Scott for answering my questions so patiently,

            Eric
            VK2CNK

            > There won't be continuity - there's a level shifter and inverter in the
            > cable.
            >
            > Scott
            >
            > On 6/7/2013 6:03 PM, caanuck wrote:
            > > Yeah,
            > >
            > > Both of the nuvis are up to date, version 6.3 I think.
            > >
            > > I have just found the Fmi cable has no connectivity from the yellow wire
            > > to any of the pins on the mini USB plug. From what I can see in the
            > > wiring diagrams in the files section the yellow should be a straight run
            > > from nuvi to the t3-mini for serial comms.
            > >
            > > I will try to get a replacement cable to take the place of this one,
            > > after that the only thing I haven't changed out is the t3-mini tracker
            > > itself.
            > >
            > > Keep the ideas coming!
            > >
            > > Eric
            > > VK2CNK
            > >

            > > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "Fred Hillhouse" wrote:
            > > >
            > > > This may have been covered already, but, have you updated you Nuvi
            > > 350s to
            > > > the latest version? I seem to recall this is important.
            > > >
            > > > Best regards,
            > > > Fred, N7FMH

          • caanuck
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 22 7:15 AM
              Just wanted to conclude this thread and let everyone know what sort of service I got from Scott. I really messed up the mini, I think it was shorted out continuously for about an hour before it stopped working and despite this Scott offered to help rapair it. So I recently recieved my refurbished t3mini by return mail and it is working away, 24h/day for the last few days beaconing and working with the Fmi interface on the nuvi 350.

              I am having one more issue but the great service I have recieved fom Scott will keep me coming back- thanks,

              Caanuck
              VK2CNK