USB to Serial Cable That Works!

  • Pete Lilja
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 5, 2013
      A friend told me about a USB to Serial adaptor cable that is supposed to be the cat's meow.  I bought one and put it to use today on my Windows8 machine to configure my T2s.  It worked easily on 4 of my T2s.

      For those of you having a computer without a serial port this may just be the answer for you.  It worked for me and I'm not at all good with computers.

      I have no connection other than being a happy customer.

      Pete
      KC0GPB
    • Pete Lilja

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 4 8:48 AM
          Pete - after going through countless emails and head scratching I came across your email with the reference to WA8LMF article and suggestion to use the Gearmo Dongles for T2 issues with Windows 8 and MAC OS 10.x -

          Absolutely makes sense - Perfect. Ordering one as soon as I can cause 2 prolific dongles I used did not - even one that works on Unix on a friends machine!

          So Thank you for the info and anyone else out there using otwincfg.exe - it only runs on windows- unless you have an interface for MAC - (using parallels running winxp for interface on MAC OS 10.7 running Xastir native)
          T2 to Garmin Nuvi 350!

          MIKE
          N0NY

          On Jun 5, 2013, at 3:53 PM, Pete Lilja wrote:

          > A friend told me about a USB to Serial adaptor cable that is supposed to be the cat's meow. I bought one and put it to use today on my Windows8 machine to configure my T2s. It worked easily on 4 of my T2s.
          >
          > For those of you having a computer without a serial port this may just be the answer for you. It worked for me and I'm not at all good with computers.
          >
          > I have no connection other than being a happy customer.
          >
          > Pete
          > KC0GPB

        • ve3id
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 4 1:33 PM
            I have found that all dongles that have either the genuine or fake prolific chips will work under linux, simply because the driver is open-source and if prolific released a driver with the DRM code it would blow the secret of their test wide open! In fact, I have several dongles that I recovered from garbage cans when windows users threw them out!

            I have used dongles with the FTDI chip for about 8 years and never had any problems when I have to use a windows system.

            btw, have you or anybody tried using otwincfg under wine+mono on a linux system? My tracker is in a remote boiler room running linux and I have not got around to going up there and testing it that way yet. I'd appreciate feedback/hints from anybody who has.

            73
            Nigel
            ve3id