Re: config file otwincfg.exe on a macbook pro (x86) ?? Updated Q's?

  • avidfan929
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 4, 2013
      --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, Jason KG4WSV <kg4wsv@...> wrote:

      > On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 1:42 PM, avidfan929 <avidfan929@...> wrote:
      > > Okay so i downloaded and installed Vitualbox on the Mac powerbook and installed windows xp there also- no issues and installed the extensions file- I configured Virtual box to have the USB output via a USB to serial cable
      >
      > Just to clarify: you let the windows VM "own" the USB device, have the
      > appropriate windows drivers loaded, and can confirm (via device
      > manager) that there is a com port on the system?
      >
      > It is possible (with VMware, anyway) to let the host handle the USB
      > part and pass a serial port to the VM. This, in my experience, does
      > not work as well.
      >
      > > to a Null modem cable to the serial connection on the tracker 2. I have tried all kinds of Baud rates and disconnecting power (13.8v dc) to reset the tracker 2 and cannot bring up the configuration program.
      >
      > You shouldn't have to set baud rates - otwincfg does that on its own.
      > Are you sure you have the correct com port selected?
      >
      > Another thing to try is "disable turbo".
      >
      > A last resort (which isn't a big deal in your case since it's a new
      > unit) is to erase the device and load new firmware.
      >
      > I've forgotten which device you have, but you may be able to talk to
      > it via the command prompt using a terminal program on the Mac side.
      >
      > -Jason
      > kg4wsv

      I got really frustrated going around and around with the right connection on the USB to serial port conversion on Virtual Box- so

      I first went to the local micro Center- got a new null modem adapter (no cables) used the setup i have on the imac with the new null modem cable at after a few adjustments- it worked. I loaded parallels 7 and windows Xp on the Mac Powerbook Pro downloaded the driver for the USB to serial; and without too much to do - the otwinconfig.exe loaded up with the config window. Saved that to the desk top right away. I was able to load the Xastir program with the KISS TNC interface - however now I'm stuck getting the 2 to talk to each other - This is my action plan for tonight.

      Dumping Virtual Box - hooking everything back together and programming Xastir (which runs native on Mac OSX) with the "coherance " mode in Parallels - I can have the config window and Xastir open at the same time.

      Thanks for all the help...It has been appreciated.

      Mike N0NY