Re: [tracker2] Re: config file otwincfg.exe on a macbook pro (x86) ?? Updated Q's?

  • Jason KG4WSV
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 3, 2013
      On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 1:42 PM, avidfan929 <avidfan929@...> wrote:
      > Okay so i downloaded and installed Vitualbox on the Mac powerbook and installed windows xp there also- no issues and installed the extensions file- I configured Virtual box to have the USB output via a USB to serial cable

      Just to clarify: you let the windows VM "own" the USB device, have the
      appropriate windows drivers loaded, and can confirm (via device
      manager) that there is a com port on the system?

      It is possible (with VMware, anyway) to let the host handle the USB
      part and pass a serial port to the VM. This, in my experience, does
      not work as well.

      > to a Null modem cable to the serial connection on the tracker 2. I have tried all kinds of Baud rates and disconnecting power (13.8v dc) to reset the tracker 2 and cannot bring up the configuration program.

      You shouldn't have to set baud rates - otwincfg does that on its own.
      Are you sure you have the correct com port selected?

      Another thing to try is "disable turbo".

      A last resort (which isn't a big deal in your case since it's a new
      unit) is to erase the device and load new firmware.

      I've forgotten which device you have, but you may be able to talk to
      it via the command prompt using a terminal program on the Mac side.

      -Jason
      kg4wsv
    • avidfan929
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 4, 2013
        --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, Jason KG4WSV <kg4wsv@...> wrote:

        > On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 1:42 PM, avidfan929 <avidfan929@...> wrote:
        > > Okay so i downloaded and installed Vitualbox on the Mac powerbook and installed windows xp there also- no issues and installed the extensions file- I configured Virtual box to have the USB output via a USB to serial cable
        >
        > Just to clarify: you let the windows VM "own" the USB device, have the
        > appropriate windows drivers loaded, and can confirm (via device
        > manager) that there is a com port on the system?
        >
        > It is possible (with VMware, anyway) to let the host handle the USB
        > part and pass a serial port to the VM. This, in my experience, does
        > not work as well.
        >
        > > to a Null modem cable to the serial connection on the tracker 2. I have tried all kinds of Baud rates and disconnecting power (13.8v dc) to reset the tracker 2 and cannot bring up the configuration program.
        >
        > You shouldn't have to set baud rates - otwincfg does that on its own.
        > Are you sure you have the correct com port selected?
        >
        > Another thing to try is "disable turbo".
        >
        > A last resort (which isn't a big deal in your case since it's a new
        > unit) is to erase the device and load new firmware.
        >
        > I've forgotten which device you have, but you may be able to talk to
        > it via the command prompt using a terminal program on the Mac side.
        >
        > -Jason
        > kg4wsv

        I got really frustrated going around and around with the right connection on the USB to serial port conversion on Virtual Box- so

        I first went to the local micro Center- got a new null modem adapter (no cables) used the setup i have on the imac with the new null modem cable at after a few adjustments- it worked. I loaded parallels 7 and windows Xp on the Mac Powerbook Pro downloaded the driver for the USB to serial; and without too much to do - the otwinconfig.exe loaded up with the config window. Saved that to the desk top right away. I was able to load the Xastir program with the KISS TNC interface - however now I'm stuck getting the 2 to talk to each other - This is my action plan for tonight.

        Dumping Virtual Box - hooking everything back together and programming Xastir (which runs native on Mac OSX) with the "coherance " mode in Parallels - I can have the config window and Xastir open at the same time.

        Thanks for all the help...It has been appreciated.

        Mike N0NY