Re: [tracker2] T3-mini to nuvi 350

  • Kevin Shea
    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 2, 2013
      Did u set serial connection 1 &2 to garmin? I had to do this before I saw the dispatch menu on the nuvi 350

      Sent from my iPod

      On Jun 2, 2013, at 2:52 AM, Tony VE6MVP <tony@...> wrote:

      > At 06:12 PM 2013-06-01, caanuck wrote:
      >
      > >I am
      > >now trying to connect the NUVI 350 using the garmin minib to serial
      > >pigtail cable.
      >
      > It might not be that simple.
      > https://www.argentdata.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=28&products_id=90
      > states "with inline converter circuit. " and there is a little oblong
      > black box in the cable if you look at the picture.
      >
      > But who knows. See the Fleet Management docs at
      > http://developer.garmin.com/lbs/fleet-management/ which a quick read
      > found the following.
      >
      > 3 Physical/Link Protocol
      > 3.1 Serial Protocol
      > The Serial protocol is RS-232. Other electrical characteristics are
      > full duplex, serial data, 9600 baud, 8 data bits, no
      > parity bits, and 1 stop bit.
      >
      > Tony

    • Fredric Moses
      Message 2 of 20 , Jun 3, 2013
        I have tried as well and no change.. tried both a and b ports... have tried flip flopping rx/tx no joy... On one of the minis after i did the 0102 patch on reset it stopped turning on and booting.... the other mini took the patch and rebooted but no joy... I can send these 2 mini's back to you scott if you like and see what's up... I will order 2 of the larger t3's so i can use them on the event this weekend and not get pressured to get the minis up and running till after... I still have to get the micro's working tonight as it is...
        --
        Fredric Moses - W8FSM - WQOG498
        fred@...

        Message 3 of 20 , Jun 3, 2013
          What firmware revision are they running? Could be someone forgot to
          apply the latest update (which supports the patch commands.)

        • Fredric Moses
          Message 4 of 20 , Jun 3, 2013
            I will check when i head home for lunch.... I know the one that isn't work at all at the moment had the latest version from the web...
            --

            On Jun 3, 2013, at 11:16 AM, Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:

            > What firmware revision are they running? Could be someone forgot to apply the latest update (which supports the patch commands.)
            >
            > On 6/3/2013 5:43 AM, Fredric Moses wrote:
            >> I have tried as well and no change.. tried both a and b ports... have tried flip flopping rx/tx no joy... On one of the minis after i did the 0102 patch on reset it stopped turning on and booting.... the other mini took the patch and rebooted but no joy... I can send these 2 mini's back to you scott if you like and see what's up... I will order 2 of the larger t3's so i can use them on the event this weekend and not get pressured to get the minis up and running till after... I still have to get the micro's working tonight as it is...
            >> --
            >> Fredric Moses - W8FSM - WQOG498
            >> fred@...
            >>

            >> On Jun 3, 2013, at 7:19 AM, "caanuck" <eric.strom@...> wrote:
            >>
            >>> I have tried these different patch commands
            >>>
            >>> PATCH 005fff0100 no patch
            >>> PATCH 005fff0102 serial comms RX inverted
            >>> PATCH 005fff0104 serial comms TX inverted
            >>> PATCH 005fff0106 serial comms TX+RX inverted
            >>>
            >>> Each with a reset and fresh restart to the Nuvi. The serial port config is set to Garmin , I haven't yet reversed the wiresfrom the Nuvi yet... I currently have white to B_TX and Yellow to B_RX and Black to GND2.
            >>>
            >>> The radio is still pumping out APRS beacons but no dispatch on the Nuvi 350.
            >>>
            >>> All thoughts welcome, help!

          • caanuck
            Message 5 of 20 , Jun 4, 2013
              Hi,
              I did set serial A and B to garmin, on both profiles just to be double sure. I will check the firmware version but I did apply the update from the web, at least I selected it and it went through three stages of install...

              The patch commands don't provide any feedback, I get to the "cmd>" prompt and type in "patch XXXXX" then it goes to the next "cmd>" line, is there a way of knowing that the patch has been accepted?

              I exit the TTY program, pull the usb device out of the wife's computer and go back to the laptop I use and plug it in to usb for power, to the HT radio and to the nuvi. Reset the T3-mini, Cycle the power on the nuvi and no fmi, just plain "where to" where the "dispatch" should be.

              Anything else I can try? Has anyone been able to get the fmi interface working on a mini, maybe they can post a cfg file for me to try?

              --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Shea <kevshea@...> wrote:

              > Did u set serial connection 1 &2 to garmin? I had to do this before I saw the dispatch menu on the nuvi 350
              >

              > Sent from my iPod
              >
              > On Jun 2, 2013, at 2:52 AM, Tony VE6MVP <tony@...> wrote:
              >
              > > At 06:12 PM 2013-06-01, caanuck wrote:
              > >
              > > >I am
              > > >now trying to connect the NUVI 350 using the garmin minib to serial
              > > >pigtail cable.
              > >
              > > It might not be that simple.
              > > https://www.argentdata.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=28&products_id=90
              > > states "with inline converter circuit. " and there is a little oblong
              > > black box in the cable if you look at the picture.
              > >
              > > But who knows. See the Fleet Management docs at
              > > http://developer.garmin.com/lbs/fleet-management/ which a quick read
              > > found the following.
              > >
              > > 3 Physical/Link Protocol
              > > 3.1 Serial Protocol
              > > The Serial protocol is RS-232. Other electrical characteristics are
              > > full duplex, serial data, 9600 baud, 8 data bits, no
              > > parity bits, and 1 stop bit.
              > >
              > > Tony

            • caanuck
              Message 6 of 20 , Sep 14, 2013

                Just and update, I got the FMI working.  It was in the physical wiring and a crossed connection