Re: [tracker2] T3-mini to nuvi 350

  • Kevin Shea
    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 2, 2013
      Did u set serial connection 1 &2 to garmin? I had to do this before I saw the dispatch menu on the nuvi 350

      Sent from my iPod

      On Jun 2, 2013, at 2:52 AM, Tony VE6MVP <tony@...> wrote:

      > At 06:12 PM 2013-06-01, caanuck wrote:
      >
      > >I am
      > >now trying to connect the NUVI 350 using the garmin minib to serial
      > >pigtail cable.
      >
      > It might not be that simple.
      > https://www.argentdata.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=28&products_id=90
      > states "with inline converter circuit. " and there is a little oblong
      > black box in the cable if you look at the picture.
      >
      > But who knows. See the Fleet Management docs at
      > http://developer.garmin.com/lbs/fleet-management/ which a quick read
      > found the following.
      >
      > 3 Physical/Link Protocol
      > 3.1 Serial Protocol
      > The Serial protocol is RS-232. Other electrical characteristics are
      > full duplex, serial data, 9600 baud, 8 data bits, no
      > parity bits, and 1 stop bit.
      >
      > Tony

    • w8fsm
      Message 2 of 20 , Jun 2, 2013
        I am having the same issue as we speak.... I have the correct cables as they work on my T3's T2's and when i plug into my new T3-Mini it will not send data... I have my oscilascope hooked up and as soon as i plug in the data cable to the side it goes -6 and stays there... i need these to work next weekend.. Can't get this fixed here soon i will just hookup my gps2 to them.. but i have been farting with this for hours..

        Message 3 of 20 , Jun 2, 2013
          It might be the port polarity setting - we've only run a few batches of
          T3-minis and I'm not certain they were all configured the same way.

          PATCH 005fff0104 (followed by a reset) will set TX to inverted, which
          should be what you want for the FMI cable.

          Scott

          On 6/1/2013 5:12 PM, caanuck wrote:

          > I've just received my T3-mini and loving the form factor...I'm looking
          > forward to getting this working in a tictac container.
          >
          > I am using a Baofeng UV-5s and the interface to the radio is working, I
          > can transmit and it shows up on APRS.fi using a fixed location. I am
          > now trying to connect the NUVI 350 using the garmin minib to serial
          > pigtail cable. The gps cable pinout is yelow - data out, white data in
          > and black ground.
          >
          > I have done the soldering to connect it this way
          >
          > yelllow to A_RX, white to A_TX, black to GND
          >
          > and also this way
          >
          > yelllow to B_RX, white to B_TX, black to GND
          >
          > In each case I set the Serial interface A or B to Garmin but it won't
          > kick the NUVI into Fleet managment interface (FMI) mode and does not
          > receive the gps data. I am thinking there is some key instruction
          > missing to connect the ground to a different point where there is
          > resistor somewhere.
          >
          > Thanks for your help.

        • w8fsm
          Message 4 of 20 , Jun 2, 2013
            I just set the patch command and nota still...

            > It might be the port polarity setting - we've only run a few batches of
            > T3-minis and I'm not certain they were all configured the same way.
            >
            > PATCH 005fff0104 (followed by a reset) will set TX to inverted, which
            > should be what you want for the FMI cable.
            >
            > Scott
            >
            > On 6/1/2013 5:12 PM, caanuck wrote:
            > >
            > > I've just received my T3-mini and loving the form factor...I'm looking
            > > forward to getting this working in a tictac container.
            > >
            > > I am using a Baofeng UV-5s and the interface to the radio is working, I
            > > can transmit and it shows up on APRS.fi using a fixed location. I am
            > > now trying to connect the NUVI 350 using the garmin minib to serial
            > > pigtail cable. The gps cable pinout is yelow - data out, white data in
            > > and black ground.
            > >
            > > I have done the soldering to connect it this way
            > >
            > > yelllow to A_RX, white to A_TX, black to GND
            > >
            > > and also this way
            > >
            > > yelllow to B_RX, white to B_TX, black to GND
            > >
            > > In each case I set the Serial interface A or B to Garmin but it won't
            > > kick the NUVI into Fleet managment interface (FMI) mode and does not
            > > receive the gps data. I am thinking there is some key instruction
            > > missing to connect the ground to a different point where there is
            > > resistor somewhere.
            > >
            > > Thanks for your help.

          • caanuck
            Message 5 of 20 , Jun 2, 2013
              Sounds like it might be what i need...

              So I read about this and I must admit I am stuck on something basic that everyone else must know...how to send the patch command in the terminal. I can locate the device /dev/cu.usbmodem631 but then what? Should I echo the command to the device?, do I enter a command console like FTP or ssh via the terminal? What is the command text?

              Would it be
              "Patch 005fff0104" echo>> /dev/cu.usbmodem631

              I'm pretty green at this type of operations, Thanks for your help

              Message 6 of 20 , Jun 2, 2013
                You'll use a terminal program like minicom (hit enter a few times after
                connecting) to get to the command prompt.

                Scott

                Message 7 of 20 , Jun 2, 2013
                  PATCH 005fff0102 will reverse RX, which might be what you need if I've
                  got it backwards, which has been known to happen...

                  Scott

                  On 6/2/2013 10:43 AM, w8fsm wrote:
                  > I just set the patch command and nota still...

                  > Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > It might be the port polarity setting - we've only run a few batches of
                  > > T3-minis and I'm not certain they were all configured the same way.
                  > >
                  > > PATCH 005fff0104 (followed by a reset) will set TX to inverted, which
                  > > should be what you want for the FMI cable.
                  > >
                  > > Scott
                  > >
                  > > On 6/1/2013 5:12 PM, caanuck wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > I've just received my T3-mini and loving the form factor...I'm looking
                  > > > forward to getting this working in a tictac container.
                  > > >
                  > > > I am using a Baofeng UV-5s and the interface to the radio is working, I
                  > > > can transmit and it shows up on APRS.fi using a fixed location. I am
                  > > > now trying to connect the NUVI 350 using the garmin minib to serial
                  > > > pigtail cable. The gps cable pinout is yelow - data out, white data in
                  > > > and black ground.
                  > > >
                  > > > I have done the soldering to connect it this way
                  > > >
                  > > > yelllow to A_RX, white to A_TX, black to GND
                  > > >
                  > > > and also this way
                  > > >
                  > > > yelllow to B_RX, white to B_TX, black to GND
                  > > >
                  > > > In each case I set the Serial interface A or B to Garmin but it won't
                  > > > kick the NUVI into Fleet managment interface (FMI) mode and does not
                  > > > receive the gps data. I am thinking there is some key instruction
                  > > > missing to connect the ground to a different point where there is
                  > > > resistor somewhere.
                  > > >
                  > > > Thanks for your help.

                • caanuck
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jun 3, 2013
                    So I used the command "screen /dev/cu.usbmodem631 9600" (a TTY program that is included in mac osX) and applied both patch commands:

                    1. PATCH 005fff0102 will reverse RX
                    2. PATCH 005fff0104 (followed by a reset) will set TX to inverted

                    No changes, it still does not make the FMI interface come up on the nuvi, infact when the radio receives anything it goes into a rx/tx loopwhere it keeps keying the PTT on and off.

                    Catching on that this was binary I then tried just "PATCH 005fff0102" to invert the tx and there is no change with the FMI interface, it still does not come up.

                    I see that you have the following reference in the wiki page for the T3-mini related to this patch command:
                    Some hardware-specific behaviors are controlled by a configuration byte at location 0x005FFF in the tracker's flash memory (or 0x002FFF in firmware builds prior to 56398). Normally there should be no need to change this configuration byte.

                    Bit 0 - Reserved
                    Bit 1 - Invert serial RX polarity
                    Bit 2 - Invert serial TX polarity
                    Bit 3 - Reserved
                    Bit 4 - Reserved
                    Bit 5 - FC-301/D radio present
                    Bit 6 - KYL-600 series radio present
                    Bit 7 - Reserved

                    The hardware configuration byte may be set using the PATCH command, in the form PATCH 005FFF01nn, where nn is the new value of the byte. For example, PATCH 005FFF0106 sets the TX and RX invert bits.

                    how do I unpatch?
                    I would hazard a guess that it would be "PATCH 005fff0100" can you confirm?

                    and what else could the problem be?
                    Help!

                    > PATCH 005fff0102 will reverse RX, which might be what you need if I've
                    > got it backwards, which has been known to happen...
                    >
                    > Scott
                    >
                    > On 6/2/2013 10:43 AM, w8fsm wrote:
                    > > I just set the patch command and nota still...

                    > > Scott Miller <scott@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > It might be the port polarity setting - we've only run a few batches of
                    > > > T3-minis and I'm not certain they were all configured the same way.
                    > > >
                    > > > PATCH 005fff0104 (followed by a reset) will set TX to inverted, which
                    > > > should be what you want for the FMI cable.
                    > > >
                    > > > Scott

                  • caanuck
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jun 3, 2013
                      I have tried these different patch commands

                      PATCH 005fff0100 no patch
                      PATCH 005fff0102 serial comms RX inverted
                      PATCH 005fff0104 serial comms TX inverted
                      PATCH 005fff0106 serial comms TX+RX inverted

                      Each with a reset and fresh restart to the Nuvi. The serial port config is set to Garmin , I haven't yet reversed the wiresfrom the Nuvi yet... I currently have white to B_TX and Yellow to B_RX and Black to GND2.

                      The radio is still pumping out APRS beacons but no dispatch on the Nuvi 350.

                      All thoughts welcome, help!

                      > PATCH 005fff0102 will reverse RX, which might be what you need if I've
                      > got it backwards, which has been known to happen...
                      >
                      > Scott
                      >
                      > On 6/2/2013 10:43 AM, w8fsm wrote:
                      > > I just set the patch command and nota still...

                      > > Scott Miller <scott@> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > It might be the port polarity setting - we've only run a few batches of
                      > > > T3-minis and I'm not certain they were all configured the same way.
                      > > >
                      > > > PATCH 005fff0104 (followed by a reset) will set TX to inverted, which
                      > > > should be what you want for the FMI cable.
                      > > >
                      > > > Scott

                    • Fredric Moses
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jun 3, 2013
                        I have tried as well and no change.. tried both a and b ports... have tried flip flopping rx/tx no joy... On one of the minis after i did the 0102 patch on reset it stopped turning on and booting.... the other mini took the patch and rebooted but no joy... I can send these 2 mini's back to you scott if you like and see what's up... I will order 2 of the larger t3's so i can use them on the event this weekend and not get pressured to get the minis up and running till after... I still have to get the micro's working tonight as it is...
                        --
                        Fredric Moses - W8FSM - WQOG498
                        fred@...

                        Message 11 of 20 , Jun 3, 2013
                          What firmware revision are they running? Could be someone forgot to
                          apply the latest update (which supports the patch commands.)

                        • Fredric Moses
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jun 3, 2013
                            I will check when i head home for lunch.... I know the one that isn't work at all at the moment had the latest version from the web...
                            --

                            On Jun 3, 2013, at 11:16 AM, Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:

                            > What firmware revision are they running? Could be someone forgot to apply the latest update (which supports the patch commands.)
                            >
                            > On 6/3/2013 5:43 AM, Fredric Moses wrote:
                            >> I have tried as well and no change.. tried both a and b ports... have tried flip flopping rx/tx no joy... On one of the minis after i did the 0102 patch on reset it stopped turning on and booting.... the other mini took the patch and rebooted but no joy... I can send these 2 mini's back to you scott if you like and see what's up... I will order 2 of the larger t3's so i can use them on the event this weekend and not get pressured to get the minis up and running till after... I still have to get the micro's working tonight as it is...
                            >> --
                            >> Fredric Moses - W8FSM - WQOG498
                            >> fred@...
                            >>

                            >> On Jun 3, 2013, at 7:19 AM, "caanuck" <eric.strom@...> wrote:
                            >>
                            >>> I have tried these different patch commands
                            >>>
                            >>> PATCH 005fff0100 no patch
                            >>> PATCH 005fff0102 serial comms RX inverted
                            >>> PATCH 005fff0104 serial comms TX inverted
                            >>> PATCH 005fff0106 serial comms TX+RX inverted
                            >>>
                            >>> Each with a reset and fresh restart to the Nuvi. The serial port config is set to Garmin , I haven't yet reversed the wiresfrom the Nuvi yet... I currently have white to B_TX and Yellow to B_RX and Black to GND2.
                            >>>
                            >>> The radio is still pumping out APRS beacons but no dispatch on the Nuvi 350.
                            >>>
                            >>> All thoughts welcome, help!

                          • caanuck
                            Message 13 of 20 , Jun 4, 2013
                              Hi,
                              I did set serial A and B to garmin, on both profiles just to be double sure. I will check the firmware version but I did apply the update from the web, at least I selected it and it went through three stages of install...

                              The patch commands don't provide any feedback, I get to the "cmd>" prompt and type in "patch XXXXX" then it goes to the next "cmd>" line, is there a way of knowing that the patch has been accepted?

                              I exit the TTY program, pull the usb device out of the wife's computer and go back to the laptop I use and plug it in to usb for power, to the HT radio and to the nuvi. Reset the T3-mini, Cycle the power on the nuvi and no fmi, just plain "where to" where the "dispatch" should be.

                              Anything else I can try? Has anyone been able to get the fmi interface working on a mini, maybe they can post a cfg file for me to try?

                              --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Shea <kevshea@...> wrote:

                              > Did u set serial connection 1 &2 to garmin? I had to do this before I saw the dispatch menu on the nuvi 350
                              >

                              > Sent from my iPod
                              >
                              > On Jun 2, 2013, at 2:52 AM, Tony VE6MVP <tony@...> wrote:
                              >
                              > > At 06:12 PM 2013-06-01, caanuck wrote:
                              > >
                              > > >I am
                              > > >now trying to connect the NUVI 350 using the garmin minib to serial
                              > > >pigtail cable.
                              > >
                              > > It might not be that simple.
                              > > https://www.argentdata.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=28&products_id=90
                              > > states "with inline converter circuit. " and there is a little oblong
                              > > black box in the cable if you look at the picture.
                              > >
                              > > But who knows. See the Fleet Management docs at
                              > > http://developer.garmin.com/lbs/fleet-management/ which a quick read
                              > > found the following.
                              > >
                              > > 3 Physical/Link Protocol
                              > > 3.1 Serial Protocol
                              > > The Serial protocol is RS-232. Other electrical characteristics are
                              > > full duplex, serial data, 9600 baud, 8 data bits, no
                              > > parity bits, and 1 stop bit.
                              > >
                              > > Tony

                            • caanuck
                              Message 14 of 20 , Sep 14 6:14 PM

                                Just and update, I got the FMI working.  It was in the physical wiring and a crossed connection