Running the tracker 2 config file otwincfg.exe on a macbook pro (x86) ??

  • avidfan929
    Message 1 of 11 , May 31 8:39 AM
      Has anyone ever attempted using their mac to run the config software?

      If you have what did you load to run the windows file on the mac and how difficult was the setup to do so?
    • Jason KG4WSV
      Message 2 of 11 , May 31 9:00 AM
        On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 10:39 AM, avidfan929 <avidfan929@...> wrote:
        > Has anyone ever attempted using their mac to run the config software?

        That's the only way I do it.

        > If you have what did you load to run the windows file on the mac and how difficult was the setup to do so?

        VMware fusion running Windows XP in a virtual machine. Once inside
        the VM, follow the standard OT instructions.

        To do it this way, you have to buy VMware fusion and buy a copy of
        windows. You can use virtualbox to avoid buying VMware, but there's
        no legal way to avoid buying a copy of windows for installation on a
        VM.

        -Jason
        kg4wsv
      • avidfan929
        Message 3 of 11 , May 31 9:17 AM
          --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, Jason KG4WSV <kg4wsv@...> wrote:

          > On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 10:39 AM, avidfan929 <avidfan929@...> wrote:
          > > Has anyone ever attempted using their mac to run the config software?
          >
          > That's the only way I do it.
          >
          > > If you have what did you load to run the windows file on the mac and how difficult was the setup to do so?
          >
          > VMware fusion running Windows XP in a virtual machine. Once inside
          > the VM, follow the standard OT instructions.
          >
          > To do it this way, you have to buy VMware fusion and buy a copy of
          > windows. You can use virtualbox to avoid buying VMware, but there's
          > no legal way to avoid buying a copy of windows for installation on a
          > VM.
          >
          > -Jason
          > kg4wsv

          virtualbox - I can do that as i have a legal copy of xp I can use. Where does one find this software?

        • Jason KG4WSV
          Message 4 of 11 , May 31 9:55 AM
            On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 11:17 AM, avidfan929 <avidfan929@...> wrote:
            > virtualbox - I can do that as i have a legal copy of xp I can use. Where does one find this software?

            When I googled virtualbox, the first hit was:

            https://www.virtualbox.org/

            -Jason
            kg4wsv
          • avidfan929
            Message 5 of 11 , May 31 9:57 AM
              --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "avidfan929" <avidfan929@...> wrote:

              > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, Jason KG4WSV <kg4wsv@> wrote:
              > >
              > > On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 10:39 AM, avidfan929 <avidfan929@> wrote:
              > > > Has anyone ever attempted using their mac to run the config software?
              > >
              > > That's the only way I do it.
              > >
              > > > If you have what did you load to run the windows file on the mac and how difficult was the setup to do so?
              > >
              > > VMware fusion running Windows XP in a virtual machine. Once inside
              > > the VM, follow the standard OT instructions.
              > >
              > > To do it this way, you have to buy VMware fusion and buy a copy of
              > > windows. You can use virtualbox to avoid buying VMware, but there's
              > > no legal way to avoid buying a copy of windows for installation on a
              > > VM.
              > >
              > > -Jason
              > > kg4wsv
              >
              > virtualbox - I can do that as i have a legal copy of xp I can use. Where does one find this software?
              > >
              >Actually - i figured out where and what - maybe you can answer- will virtual box run in "coherance" that is within a window on top of the OS X op system? or instead of the osx op system?
            • avidfan929
              Message 6 of 11 , May 31 10:06 AM
                --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "avidfan929" <avidfan929@...> wrote:

                > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "avidfan929" <avidfan929@> wrote:
                > >

                > > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, Jason KG4WSV <kg4wsv@> wrote:

                > > > That's the only way I do it.

                > > > VMware fusion running Windows XP in a virtual machine. Once inside
                > > > the VM, follow the standard OT instructions.
                > > >
                > > > To do it this way, you have to buy VMware fusion and buy a copy of
                > > > windows. You can use virtualbox to avoid buying VMware, but there's
                > > > no legal way to avoid buying a copy of windows for installation on a
                > > > VM.
                > > >
                > > > -Jason
                > > > kg4wsv
                > >
                > > virtualbox - I can do that as i have a legal copy of xp I can use. Where does one find this software?
                > > >
                > >Actually - i figured out where and what - maybe you can answer- will virtual box run in "coherance" that is within a window on top of the OS X op system? or instead of the osx op system?

                I figured this one out also- Yes it can- I just need to read before I ask-

                Jason big thanks!

                Mike
                N0NY
              • Brian Amos
                Message 7 of 11 , May 31 10:07 AM

                  It will run in a window within osx

                  Message 8 of 11 , May 31 10:07 AM
                    On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 11:57 AM, avidfan929 <avidfan929@...> wrote:
                    > will virtual box run in "coherance" that is within a window on top of the OS X op system? or instead of the osx op system?

                    "instead of OS X" isn't a virtual machine, it's dual boot. There used
                    to be an apple tool called boot camp to do that.

                    The virtual machine models are:

                    - guest/host, where the host operating system (OS X in this case) runs
                    an application (virtualbox) to provide a virtual machine environment
                    to the guest operating system (XP).

                    - hypervisor, where a small OS known as the hypervisor boots up, then
                    starts the virtual machines wich run directly on the hardware, with
                    the hypervisor playing referee making sure the virtual machines access
                    resources appropriately.

                    You'll be running a guest/host model, as that's pretty much all you
                    can do on Apple hardware AFAIK. I've never heard of a typical user
                    running the hypervisor model at home.

                    -Jason
                    kg4wsv
                  • avidfan929
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 3, 2013
                      --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "avidfan929" <avidfan929@...> wrote:

                      > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "avidfan929" <avidfan929@> wrote:
                      > >

                      > > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "avidfan929" <avidfan929@> wrote:

                      > > > virtualbox - I can do that as i have a legal copy of xp I can use. Where does one find this software?
                      > > > >
                      > > >Actually - i figured out where and what - maybe you can answer- will virtual box run in "coherance" that is within a window on top of the OS X op system? or instead of the osx op system?
                      > >
                      > I figured this one out also- Yes it can- I just need to read before I ask-
                      >
                      > Jason big thanks!
                      >
                      > Mike
                      > N0NY

                      Okay so i downloaded and installed Vitualbox on the Mac powerbook and installed windows xp there also- no issues and installed the extensions file- I configured Virtual box to have the USB output via a USB to serial cable to a Null modem cable to the serial connection on the tracker 2. I have tried all kinds of Baud rates and disconnecting power (13.8v dc) to reset the tracker 2 and cannot bring up the configuration program.

                      I tried this on my iMac running Parallels 8 with windows 8 and the same issue - however clicking on the advanced settings under properties I was able to get a dialog box coming back saying the unit is not responding. (Meaning we can send a signal and the lights flash- however the unit is not returning the signal to Windows)

                      Question then is - do I have a bad cable or null modem cable if the signal is going out but not being returned? or is it more likely an issue with the tracker2? (this was purchased built not as a kit).

                      Thanks - Argent can you respond?

                    • Jason KG4WSV
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 3, 2013
                        On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 1:42 PM, avidfan929 <avidfan929@...> wrote:
                        > Okay so i downloaded and installed Vitualbox on the Mac powerbook and installed windows xp there also- no issues and installed the extensions file- I configured Virtual box to have the USB output via a USB to serial cable

                        Just to clarify: you let the windows VM "own" the USB device, have the
                        appropriate windows drivers loaded, and can confirm (via device
                        manager) that there is a com port on the system?

                        It is possible (with VMware, anyway) to let the host handle the USB
                        part and pass a serial port to the VM. This, in my experience, does
                        not work as well.

                        > to a Null modem cable to the serial connection on the tracker 2. I have tried all kinds of Baud rates and disconnecting power (13.8v dc) to reset the tracker 2 and cannot bring up the configuration program.

                        You shouldn't have to set baud rates - otwincfg does that on its own.
                        Are you sure you have the correct com port selected?

                        Another thing to try is "disable turbo".

                        A last resort (which isn't a big deal in your case since it's a new
                        unit) is to erase the device and load new firmware.

                        I've forgotten which device you have, but you may be able to talk to
                        it via the command prompt using a terminal program on the Mac side.

                        -Jason
                        kg4wsv
                      • avidfan929
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jun 4, 2013
                          --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, Jason KG4WSV <kg4wsv@...> wrote:

                          > On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 1:42 PM, avidfan929 <avidfan929@...> wrote:
                          > > Okay so i downloaded and installed Vitualbox on the Mac powerbook and installed windows xp there also- no issues and installed the extensions file- I configured Virtual box to have the USB output via a USB to serial cable
                          >
                          > Just to clarify: you let the windows VM "own" the USB device, have the
                          > appropriate windows drivers loaded, and can confirm (via device
                          > manager) that there is a com port on the system?
                          >
                          > It is possible (with VMware, anyway) to let the host handle the USB
                          > part and pass a serial port to the VM. This, in my experience, does
                          > not work as well.
                          >
                          > > to a Null modem cable to the serial connection on the tracker 2. I have tried all kinds of Baud rates and disconnecting power (13.8v dc) to reset the tracker 2 and cannot bring up the configuration program.
                          >
                          > You shouldn't have to set baud rates - otwincfg does that on its own.
                          > Are you sure you have the correct com port selected?
                          >
                          > Another thing to try is "disable turbo".
                          >
                          > A last resort (which isn't a big deal in your case since it's a new
                          > unit) is to erase the device and load new firmware.
                          >
                          > I've forgotten which device you have, but you may be able to talk to
                          > it via the command prompt using a terminal program on the Mac side.
                          >
                          > -Jason
                          > kg4wsv

                          I got really frustrated going around and around with the right connection on the USB to serial port conversion on Virtual Box- so

                          I first went to the local micro Center- got a new null modem adapter (no cables) used the setup i have on the imac with the new null modem cable at after a few adjustments- it worked. I loaded parallels 7 and windows Xp on the Mac Powerbook Pro downloaded the driver for the USB to serial; and without too much to do - the otwinconfig.exe loaded up with the config window. Saved that to the desk top right away. I was able to load the Xastir program with the KISS TNC interface - however now I'm stuck getting the 2 to talk to each other - This is my action plan for tonight.

                          Dumping Virtual Box - hooking everything back together and programming Xastir (which runs native on Mac OSX) with the "coherance " mode in Parallels - I can have the config window and Xastir open at the same time.

                          Thanks for all the help...It has been appreciated.

                          Mike N0NY