Re: [tracker2] Tech Class Newbie

    Message 1 of 4 , May 29, 2013
      On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 11:22 AM, Dave <druss50@...> wrote:

      > My interest is flying hobby rockets and would like to upgrade from RF beacons to GPS.
      > I have a Yaesu VX-2R and would like to find a tutorial or step by step guide to put together
      > an APRS package using some of the available GPS and TNC modules (Big Red Bee,
      > Byonics, Argent, etc.) I have limited electronics/Ham experience so some type of
      > step-by-step would be helpful. Thanks.

      Just going by your lack of knowledge of even the terminology, it
      sounds like you're extremely new to the APRS part of the hobby.

      The easiest entry route would be to buy a ready to fly Big Red Bee
      unit to toss in the rocket, and buy a Kenwood TH-D72 for ground
      tracking. Stay away from the Yaesu line as it is very limited on the
      ability to connect into a computer. (A future expansion that you will
      most likely want) Buy Yaesu and you'll need to buy more parts in the
      future to get what you want, buy Kenwood, and you'll be able to build
      upon what you have.

      Obviously this is the tracker2 group, and I would be remiss in not
      telling you that you can build what you need out of your VX-2R and
      some of Scott's toys, but if you need a step-by-step guide, and have
      limited electronics/ham experience, it may be far more beneficial to
      just shell out the money and get something that just works first, and
      then as you gain knowledge and understanding, you can start building
      up home brewed setups that match your needs.

      The extra money for the built and ready to go stuff is worth the
      hundreds of hours of frustration you find yourself dealing with to
      just save a few bucks.

      If you had a firm grasp on APRS, and were very comfortable with
      electronics, and had a strong ham radio background, we could look at
      all sorts of custom built from bits and pieces options, but I want to
      get you something that will just do what you want it to do.

      There is a satisfaction with building things from bits and pieces, but
      not everyone builds the car they use to get to work every day from
      parts... some of us just buy the car ready made from the dealership.

      It's truly up to you though... are you up for the challenge, or do you
      just want play with your rockets, and use the APRS tracking to support
      that hobby?

      Personally I'd buy the rocket ready to fly and home build the tracker,
      but you're probably the opposite, building the rocket, and just
      wanting a tracking solution to get the rocket back, and the telemetry
      too!