OT-3 Basic / NUVI APRS setup questions

  • kevinshea83
    Message 1 of 5 , May 27, 2013
      Hello,
      I just received my OT-3 and have some questions still. I have read the manual, but I have not found some of the answers. I hope by posting some questions here, I'll be on my way soon with OT-3 / Nuvi 350 dispatching etc. Hardware: I'm using a Kenwood THD7 HT that I currently use with the Argent GPS puck for APRS in my vehicle. Now that I have a OT3, I am going to include the Garmin NUVI 350. w/ mini B to serial p/n 010-10813-00 wire from Argent.

      Question #1: I'm not using a mobile HAM deck, (HT) so I cannot use a co-axle plug conv. to send power (DB-9 serial)to pin 7 (and ground) to power the OT-3. So I will need to fashion a power source (12v cell phone adapter plug). The OT-3 manual has this pwr at 7-28 volts DC. I plan on using 9-12v DC. I assume this to be okay, but just wanted to hear from folks with their setup on what voltage level that have settled on to pwr your OT3 units.

      Question #2: Do I still need to use the Argent GPS "Puck" with the OT-3 or does the Garmin NUVI 350 via mini B to serial p/n 010-10813-00 wire from Argent provide GPS data to the OT3?
    • Tony VE6MVP
      Message 2 of 5 , May 27, 2013
        At 08:28 PM 2013-05-27, kevinshea83 wrote:

        Question #1: I'm not using a mobile HAM deck, (HT) so I cannot use a co-axle plug conv. to send power (DB-9 serial)to pin 7 (and ground) to power the OT-3. So I will need to fashion a power source (12v cell phone adapter plug). The OT-3 manual has this pwr at 7-28 volts DC. I plan on using 9-12v DC. I assume this to be okay, but just wanted to hear from folks with their setup on
        what voltage level that have settled on to pwr your OT3 units.

        I'm using the vehicle power for my OT2 so that better be fine.  <smile>    Although actually I've got the data radio with the embedded OT2.

        Question #2: Do I still need to use the Argent GPS "Puck" with the OT-3 or does the Garmin NUVI 350 via mini B to serial p/n 010-10813-00 wire from Argent provide GPS data to the OT3?

        The 010-10813-00 cable supplies GPS data from the Nuvi 350 to the OT3 and object and other data such as messaging back to the Nuvi 350.  Your GPS Puck is not needed in that configuration.

        Tony
        Message 3 of 5 , May 27, 2013
          > Question #1: I'm not using a mobile HAM deck, (HT) so I cannot use a
          > co-axle plug conv. to send power (DB-9 serial)to pin 7 (and ground) to
          > power the OT-3. So I will need to fashion a power source (12v cell phone

          I'm not sure I follow. You've got 3 common ways to power the T3:

          1. Coaxial plug
          2. Radio connector pins 6 and 7
          3. USB

          Options 1 and 2 go through the regulator, and can handle anything up to
          28 VDC, but I'd recommend keeping it lower than that for efficiency.
          Down to 6 V is probably OK. The regulator output will start sagging,
          but the T3 can run at lower voltages than the T2 could.

          When using USB power, it's bypassing the regulator. If you've got a USB
          battery pack this might be the most efficient option, depending on the
          pack's converter efficiency.

          > Question #2: Do I still need to use the Argent GPS "Puck" with the OT-3
          > or does the Garmin NUVI 350 via mini B to serial p/n 010-10813-00 wire
          > from Argent provide GPS data to the OT3?

          Nope, the nuvi also sends position, velocity, and time.

          Scott
        • Kevin Shea
          Message 4 of 5 , May 28, 2013
            Sorry Scott, I meant to say mic adapter plug for pwr not co axle.

            For usb option, any disadvantage in ot3 features to bypassing the ot3 regulator? This is 5@ volts, right?

            Thanks
            Sent from my iPod

            Message 5 of 5 , May 28, 2013
              USB supplies regulated 5V power, so that's fine.

              Scott