Re: [tracker2] Tracker2 - F/W 56330 and Nuvi 350 command issues

  • Hroller McKnutt
    Message 1 of 10 , May 21, 2013
      On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 1:13 PM, n1zxz <n1zxz@...> wrote:
      > Hi!
      >
      > I have a T2 with F/W 56330 and a Nuvi 350 running in my car. It works great for GPS and tracking (I am sending packets out on 144.39 and am receiving them as well) but sending messages does not work.

      I have the same issue on an OT3, I can send to it from my iPhone
      using iBCNU and I got an incoming message on my APRS unit when passing
      through Indy on the way home from Hamvention (about their upcoming
      hamfest, that was funny) but I can't send OUT from my OT3 to anything
      else.

      Mike
      --
      Nullo edactore ligni, consilium cedet. - Countess Magda
    • radiogeak
      Message 2 of 10 , May 21, 2013
        My T3 did this same thing with the Nuvi recently. The clear data procedure that Scott described worked, but at about the same time my T3 also lost all contact with the Nuvi (no positions or messages to or from the unit). Both the ACT and TX/RX leds would just flash simultaneously every few seconds. After several minutes (sometimes nearly 30 minutes) it would finally start receiving from the Nuvi again.

        Oddly, I borrowed my wife's Nuvi from her T2 and within a day or so, it quit receiving messages from the T3. Had to clear her's too.

        It hasn't had an issue recently, but I was curious after reading Rick's issue if they were somehow related and if there is some other problem.

        Sean-KL1SF

        --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "n1zxz" <n1zxz@...> wrote:

        > Hi!
        >
        > I have a T2 with F/W 56330 and a Nuvi 350 running in my car. It works great for GPS and tracking (I am sending packets out on 144.39 and am receiving them as well) but sending messages does not work.
        >
        > I can receive messages just fine - if I go to findu and send myself a message it appears on my GPS several times
        >
        > Sending messages just sit in the outbox saying "sending" - whether its a message to another APRS station or to the T2. In other words, if I was to "send -W1XXX TESTING" or if I was to send "--version" the message just sits there sending.
        >
        > Is there a fix? Anything I am doing wrong? I am confused by the fact that GPS data seems to be getting through. My position is being updated on APRS and I am receiving other station's packets as well, so that tells me the serial communication between the GPS and T2 works enough for that.
        >
        > Thanks for any advice you can give me!
        >
        > Rick

      • Tony VE6MVP
        Message 3 of 10 , May 21, 2013
          At 12:49 PM 2013-05-21, Scott Miller wrote:

          >You can fix that by holding
          >down one corner of the screen (bottom right, I think?) at startup to
          >clear all user data.

          Manual states upper right but bottom right works.  I just did that myself.

          Tony
        • n1zxz
          Message 4 of 10 , May 27, 2013
            Sorry about the delay in replying, it solved my problem! I dont have the latest firmware in the Nuvi, does the latest firmware fix the issue? I've had to do the user content erase procedure a couple times when the command function stopped responding...

            Rick

            Message 5 of 10 , May 27, 2013
              I'm pretty sure it does fix the problem.

              Scott

              On 5/27/2013 10:56 AM, n1zxz wrote:
              > Sorry about the delay in replying, it solved my problem! I dont have the
              > latest firmware in the Nuvi, does the latest firmware fix the issue?
              > I've had to do the user content erase procedure a couple times when the
              > command function stopped responding...
              >
              > Rick

              > Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > I've seen the nuvi's message buffer get corrupted before such that the
              > > T2 couldn't advance to the next message. You can fix that by holding
              > > down one corner of the screen (bottom right, I think?) at startup to
              > > clear all user data.
              > >
              > > Scott
              > >
              > > On 5/21/2013 11:13 AM, n1zxz wrote:
              > > > Hi!
              > > >
              > > > I have a T2 with F/W 56330 and a Nuvi 350 running in my car. It works
              > > > great for GPS and tracking (I am sending packets out on 144.39 and am
              > > > receiving them as well) but sending messages does not work.
              > > >
              > > > I can receive messages just fine - if I go to findu and send myself a
              > > > message it appears on my GPS several times
              > > >
              > > > Sending messages just sit in the outbox saying "sending" - whether
              > its a
              > > > message to another APRS station or to the T2. In other words, if I was
              > > > to "send -W1XXX TESTING" or if I was to send "--version" the message
              > > > just sits there sending.
              > > >
              > > > Is there a fix? Anything I am doing wrong? I am confused by the fact
              > > > that GPS data seems to be getting through. My position is being updated
              > > > on APRS and I am receiving other station's packets as well, so that
              > > > tells me the serial communication between the GPS and T2 works enough
              > > > for that.
              > > >
              > > > Thanks for any advice you can give me!
              > > >
              > > > Rick

            • Tony VE6MVP
              Message 6 of 10 , May 27, 2013
                Folks

                This is somewhat off topic but still could be relevant to some here.    I'm starting to accumulate more and more devices in the vehicle which require USB power.   The Nuvi 350 is one of those devices thus my reasonimg that my posting is somewhat relevant.  <smile>

                I found the following device on eBay.  http://www.ebay.ca/itm/130917019612?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649 which is a 12 VDC in 5VDC 2.5A USB connection out. Now I can put in a USB hub and power multiple devices without consuming too many cigarette lighter plugs.   Just attach an Anderson PowerPole connectors to the end and you're done.  And at $8.00 including shipping considerably cheaper than the PowerWorks product.

                Tony
                Message 7 of 10 , May 27, 2013
                  > http://www.ebay.ca/itm/130917019612?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
                  > which is a 12 VDC in 5VDC 2.5A USB connection out. Now I can put in a
                  > USB hub and power multiple devices without consuming too many cigarette
                  > lighter plugs. Just attach an Anderson PowerPole connectors to the end
                  > and you're done. And at $8.00 including shipping considerably cheaper
                  > than the PowerWorks product.

                  Sure, I've done basically the same thing. I've got a small 'treasure
                  chest' from the craft store that I stashed a couple of 8 AH SLA
                  batteries in with something similar to this, then built a felt-covered
                  shelf to cover the battery compartment and added a panel with 4 USB A
                  receptacles and one cigarette lighter plug. The lid has zippered mesh
                  pockets that hold an assortment of cell phone charging adapters and
                  universal Li-ion charges.

                  I've used it on several group camping trips (including Burning Man) and
                  every time we seem to find some new device that there's no adapter for.
                  I've added the Apple Lightning cable, Blackberry, and now a 7.4v
                  universal adapter that should hopefully cover all of the camcorder and
                  DSLR batteries we couldn't handle last year.

                  Scott
                • kc9ony
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 28, 2013
                    Thanks for the ideas.
                    Now if I ever get my APRS setup going that would be handy.
                    I'm having some issues with the nuvi 350 I bought, and it's been
                    a year since I bought the OT3, so I'd better get off my lazy duff
                    and install some stuff. ;

                    73,
                    Tom KC9ONY