Re: [tracker2] Garmin Montana experiences?

  • Tony VE6MVP
    Message 1 of 13 , May 20, 2013
      At 04:01 PM 2013-05-20, Scott Miller wrote:

      >A ham from Garmin brought one by the booth at Hamvention.  It's
      nice -
      >not cheap, but looks to be a good balance of portable/chart
      plotter/car
      >navigation.  I'll have to see if my sample budget has room for
      one of those.

      Or maybe the lust/want/toys budget.    <smile>

      Tony
    • Jason KG4WSV
      Message 2 of 13 , May 20, 2013
        On May 20, 2013, at 5:32 PM, "tbanks204" <tbanks204@...> wrote:

        > After looking at them, they have a rather small screen size, for the price.

        A bit small for a car gps, a bit large for a hiking gps. Could be a decent compromise if you want one that does both. I'm still deciding (and saving up).

        -Jason
        kg4wsv
      • Fred Hillhouse
        Message 3 of 13 , May 21, 2013
          That is a pretty good assessment. I hike and am looking for a new GPS. I was looking at the Garmin 62. I also drive and want a new GPS with a bigger screen. I can maybe afford one. The Montana is a heavy for hiking and small for driving but is a reasonable compromise if only one can be bought. I am saving up as well.

          Best regards,
          Fred

          Message 4 of 13 , May 21, 2013
            At 07:20 AM 2013-05-21, Fred Hillhouse wrote:

            My $15 Bluetooth <> Serial adapter should be here in the next week.  Along with my vehicle mount for my tablet.  So then I might be able to use APRSDroid on my 10" Android tablet as my GPS.

            Tony

            Message 5 of 13 , May 21, 2013
              I have a tablet running APRSIS32 so that is my "GPS". It doesn't do trip routing but it does require me to prefetch the maps I want. At least until I get internet in my car.

              Fred