Re: Garmin Montana experiences?

  • tbanks204
    Message 1 of 13 , May 20 3:32 PM
      After looking at them, they have a rather small screen size, for the price.

      --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, Teddy Banks <tbanks204@...> wrote:

      > Well, if those things are pricey, that would certainly separate the
      > Wheat from the Chaff.
      > On 5/20/2013 5:01 PM, Scott Miller wrote:
      > > A ham from Garmin brought one by the booth at Hamvention. It's nice -
      > > not cheap, but looks to be a good balance of portable/chart plotter/car
      > > navigation. I'll have to see if my sample budget has room for one of those.
      > >
      > > Scott
      > >
      > > On 5/16/2013 8:15 AM, Fred Hillhouse wrote:
      > >> I traded a couple of emails with the gentleman (VE6AB) that posted these
      > >> photos. I specifically asked about breadcrumbs and said it didn't leave them
      > >> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/aprsisce/photos/album/1607181897/pic/list
      > >> I am hoping for one of these.
      > >> Best regards,
      > >> Fred, N7FMH
      > >> Dual APRS Displays

    • Tony VE6MVP
      Message 2 of 13 , May 20 4:03 PM
        At 04:01 PM 2013-05-20, Scott Miller wrote:

        >A ham from Garmin brought one by the booth at Hamvention.  It's
        nice -
        >not cheap, but looks to be a good balance of portable/chart
        plotter/car
        >navigation.  I'll have to see if my sample budget has room for
        one of those.

        Or maybe the lust/want/toys budget.    <smile>

        Tony
      • Jason KG4WSV
        Message 3 of 13 , May 20 6:10 PM
          On May 20, 2013, at 5:32 PM, "tbanks204" <tbanks204@...> wrote:

          > After looking at them, they have a rather small screen size, for the price.

          A bit small for a car gps, a bit large for a hiking gps. Could be a decent compromise if you want one that does both. I'm still deciding (and saving up).

          -Jason
          kg4wsv
        • Fred Hillhouse
          Message 4 of 13 , May 21 6:20 AM
            That is a pretty good assessment. I hike and am looking for a new GPS. I was looking at the Garmin 62. I also drive and want a new GPS with a bigger screen. I can maybe afford one. The Montana is a heavy for hiking and small for driving but is a reasonable compromise if only one can be bought. I am saving up as well.

            Best regards,
            Fred

            Message 5 of 13 , May 21 10:49 AM
              At 07:20 AM 2013-05-21, Fred Hillhouse wrote:

              My $15 Bluetooth <> Serial adapter should be here in the next week.  Along with my vehicle mount for my tablet.  So then I might be able to use APRSDroid on my 10" Android tablet as my GPS.

              Tony

              Message 6 of 13 , May 21 11:12 AM
                I have a tablet running APRSIS32 so that is my "GPS". It doesn't do trip routing but it does require me to prefetch the maps I want. At least until I get internet in my car.

                Fred