Re: [tracker2] Garmin Montana experiences?

  • Teddy Banks
    Message 1 of 13 , May 20, 2013
      Well, if those things are pricey, that would certainly separate the
      Wheat from the Chaff.
      On 5/20/2013 5:01 PM, Scott Miller wrote:
      > A ham from Garmin brought one by the booth at Hamvention. It's nice -
      > not cheap, but looks to be a good balance of portable/chart plotter/car
      > navigation. I'll have to see if my sample budget has room for one of those.
      >
      > Scott
      >
      > On 5/16/2013 8:15 AM, Fred Hillhouse wrote:
      >> I traded a couple of emails with the gentleman (VE6AB) that posted these
      >> photos. I specifically asked about breadcrumbs and said it didn't leave them
      >> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/aprsisce/photos/album/1607181897/pic/list
      >> I am hoping for one of these.
      >> Best regards,
      >> Fred, N7FMH
      >> Dual APRS Displays

      Ham Radio Operators KCØWNY-KDØACN Ted & Kay
    • tbanks204
      Message 2 of 13 , May 20, 2013
        After looking at them, they have a rather small screen size, for the price.

        --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, Teddy Banks <tbanks204@...> wrote:

        > Well, if those things are pricey, that would certainly separate the
        > Wheat from the Chaff.
        > On 5/20/2013 5:01 PM, Scott Miller wrote:
        > > A ham from Garmin brought one by the booth at Hamvention. It's nice -
        > > not cheap, but looks to be a good balance of portable/chart plotter/car
        > > navigation. I'll have to see if my sample budget has room for one of those.
        > >
        > > Scott
        > >
        > > On 5/16/2013 8:15 AM, Fred Hillhouse wrote:
        > >> I traded a couple of emails with the gentleman (VE6AB) that posted these
        > >> photos. I specifically asked about breadcrumbs and said it didn't leave them
        > >> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/aprsisce/photos/album/1607181897/pic/list
        > >> I am hoping for one of these.
        > >> Best regards,
        > >> Fred, N7FMH
        > >> Dual APRS Displays

      • Tony VE6MVP
        Message 3 of 13 , May 20, 2013
          At 04:01 PM 2013-05-20, Scott Miller wrote:

          >A ham from Garmin brought one by the booth at Hamvention.  It's
          nice -
          >not cheap, but looks to be a good balance of portable/chart
          plotter/car
          >navigation.  I'll have to see if my sample budget has room for
          one of those.

          Or maybe the lust/want/toys budget.    <smile>

          Tony
        • Jason KG4WSV
          Message 4 of 13 , May 20, 2013
            On May 20, 2013, at 5:32 PM, "tbanks204" <tbanks204@...> wrote:

            > After looking at them, they have a rather small screen size, for the price.

            A bit small for a car gps, a bit large for a hiking gps. Could be a decent compromise if you want one that does both. I'm still deciding (and saving up).

            -Jason
            kg4wsv
          • Fred Hillhouse
            Message 5 of 13 , May 21, 2013
              That is a pretty good assessment. I hike and am looking for a new GPS. I was looking at the Garmin 62. I also drive and want a new GPS with a bigger screen. I can maybe afford one. The Montana is a heavy for hiking and small for driving but is a reasonable compromise if only one can be bought. I am saving up as well.

              Best regards,
              Fred

              Message 6 of 13 , May 21, 2013
                At 07:20 AM 2013-05-21, Fred Hillhouse wrote:

                My $15 Bluetooth <> Serial adapter should be here in the next week.  Along with my vehicle mount for my tablet.  So then I might be able to use APRSDroid on my 10" Android tablet as my GPS.

                Tony

                Message 7 of 13 , May 21, 2013
                  I have a tablet running APRSIS32 so that is my "GPS". It doesn't do trip routing but it does require me to prefetch the maps I want. At least until I get internet in my car.

                  Fred