Re: [tracker2] Garmin Montana experiences?

  • Tony VE6MVP
    Message 1 of 13 , May 18, 2013
      At 03:24 PM 2013-05-18, Jason KG4WSV wrote:

      but you have to use an auxiliary power pack as it expects such as soon as you plug in the cable to the D72.
      Well that part kinda sucks.  It may not be a show-stopper, though, as I'm kicking around the idea of a wireless link (zigbee, etc) between the radio and the GPS which would require scabbing some extra hardware that would need its own power onto the GPS unit anyway.

      I purchased the following battery pack on eBay a while back.
      http://www.ebay.ca/itm/18650-portable-usb-battery-charger-box-/180871837163?pt=Battery_Chargers&hash=item2a1ccd35eb
      You charge it via the mini USB port and discharge it using the regular USB port.     You can stuff up to 2.0 amps into it and take out up to 2 amps.  You do have to purchase 18650 batteries separately.    Works very well from my viewpoint.

      I just leave it plugged into a standard hub or my laptop overnight or until it's charged after I use it.  But then you could also buy a cigarette lighter > USB adapter and charge it that way.  I found one with 2 USB ports and 2 amp output.

      I also have multiple retractable USB cables of every possible device such as Palm TX, mini, micro, Samsung tablet, cell phone, etc.  For the $2 or so for each backups are nice so I have one on the desk, another int he laptop bag and another in the vehicle so I can charge any of my devices anywhere.

      That said the above battery pack might be a bit heavy for hiking so some kind of AA device with four rechargeable batteries might be better.

      Tony
      Message 2 of 13 , May 20, 2013
        A ham from Garmin brought one by the booth at Hamvention. It's nice -
        not cheap, but looks to be a good balance of portable/chart plotter/car
        navigation. I'll have to see if my sample budget has room for one of those.

        Scott

        On 5/16/2013 8:15 AM, Fred Hillhouse wrote:
        > I traded a couple of emails with the gentleman (VE6AB) that posted these
        > photos. I specifically asked about breadcrumbs and said it didn't leave them
        > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/aprsisce/photos/album/1607181897/pic/list
        > I am hoping for one of these.
        > Best regards,
        > Fred, N7FMH
        > Dual APRS Displays

      • Teddy Banks
        Message 3 of 13 , May 20, 2013
          Well, if those things are pricey, that would certainly separate the
          Wheat from the Chaff.
          On 5/20/2013 5:01 PM, Scott Miller wrote:
          > A ham from Garmin brought one by the booth at Hamvention. It's nice -
          > not cheap, but looks to be a good balance of portable/chart plotter/car
          > navigation. I'll have to see if my sample budget has room for one of those.
          >
          > Scott
          >
          > On 5/16/2013 8:15 AM, Fred Hillhouse wrote:
          >> I traded a couple of emails with the gentleman (VE6AB) that posted these
          >> photos. I specifically asked about breadcrumbs and said it didn't leave them
          >> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/aprsisce/photos/album/1607181897/pic/list
          >> I am hoping for one of these.
          >> Best regards,
          >> Fred, N7FMH
          >> Dual APRS Displays

          Ham Radio Operators KCØWNY-KDØACN Ted & Kay
        • tbanks204
          Message 4 of 13 , May 20, 2013
            After looking at them, they have a rather small screen size, for the price.

            Message 5 of 13 , May 20, 2013
              At 04:01 PM 2013-05-20, Scott Miller wrote:

              >A ham from Garmin brought one by the booth at Hamvention.  It's
              nice -
              >not cheap, but looks to be a good balance of portable/chart
              plotter/car
              >navigation.  I'll have to see if my sample budget has room for
              one of those.

              Or maybe the lust/want/toys budget.    <smile>

              Tony
            • Jason KG4WSV
              Message 6 of 13 , May 20, 2013
                On May 20, 2013, at 5:32 PM, "tbanks204" <tbanks204@...> wrote:

                > After looking at them, they have a rather small screen size, for the price.

                A bit small for a car gps, a bit large for a hiking gps. Could be a decent compromise if you want one that does both. I'm still deciding (and saving up).

                -Jason
                kg4wsv
              • Fred Hillhouse
                Message 7 of 13 , May 21, 2013
                  That is a pretty good assessment. I hike and am looking for a new GPS. I was looking at the Garmin 62. I also drive and want a new GPS with a bigger screen. I can maybe afford one. The Montana is a heavy for hiking and small for driving but is a reasonable compromise if only one can be bought. I am saving up as well.

                  Best regards,
                  Fred

                  Message 8 of 13 , May 21, 2013
                    At 07:20 AM 2013-05-21, Fred Hillhouse wrote:

                    My $15 Bluetooth <> Serial adapter should be here in the next week.  Along with my vehicle mount for my tablet.  So then I might be able to use APRSDroid on my 10" Android tablet as my GPS.

                    Tony

                    Message 9 of 13 , May 21, 2013
                      I have a tablet running APRSIS32 so that is my "GPS". It doesn't do trip routing but it does require me to prefetch the maps I want. At least until I get internet in my car.

                      Fred