Garmin Montana experiences?

  • Jason KG4WSV
    Message 1 of 13 , May 16, 2013
      Has anyone used a Garmin Montana GPS for APRS?

      I know it won't do full Nuvi 350 style messaging, but if you have used
      it with straight NMEA connectivity (e.g. to a Kenwood) or even better,
      with enhanced features using a T2 or GTRANS, please let me know how it
      worked for you.

      -Jason
      kg4wsv
    • Fred Hillhouse
      Message 2 of 13 , May 16, 2013
        I traded a couple of emails with the gentleman (VE6AB) that posted these photos. I specifically asked about breadcrumbs and said it didn't leave them

        I am hoping for one of these.

        Best regards,
        Fred, N7FMH

        Dual APRS Displays

        Message 3 of 13 , May 18, 2013
          At 09:15 AM 2013-05-16, Fred Hillhouse wrote:

          Indeed, I just had an eyeball QSO with Jerry VE6AB an hour ago after he did a balloon recovery and he showed me the setup.     It doesn't leave bread crumbs and you can install free maps into it.

          He also has it setup for hiking with his D72 but you have to use an auxiliary power pack as it expects such as soon as you plug in the cable to the D72.

          Tony

          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/aprsisce/photos/album/1607181897/pic/list

          Message 4 of 13 , May 18, 2013

            On Sat, May 18, 2013 at 3:46 PM, Tony VE6MVP <tony@...> wrote:
            but you have to use an auxiliary power pack as it expects such as soon as you plug in the cable to the D72.

            Well that part kinda sucks.  It may not be a show-stopper, though, as I'm kicking around the idea of a wireless link (zigbee, etc) between the radio and the GPS which would require scabbing some extra hardware that would need its own power onto the GPS unit anyway.

            It doesn't leave bread crumbs and you can install free maps into it.

            that's plus, potentially a big one - I may not need to add the extra $$ for street maps.

            I'd like to have a single GPS that's good for the woods, on the road, and APRS use.  This one is closer to anything I've seen to doing it all.

            -Jason
            kg4wsv
          • Tony VE6MVP
            Message 5 of 13 , May 18, 2013
              At 03:24 PM 2013-05-18, Jason KG4WSV wrote:

              but you have to use an auxiliary power pack as it expects such as soon as you plug in the cable to the D72.
              Well that part kinda sucks.  It may not be a show-stopper, though, as I'm kicking around the idea of a wireless link (zigbee, etc) between the radio and the GPS which would require scabbing some extra hardware that would need its own power onto the GPS unit anyway.

              I purchased the following battery pack on eBay a while back.
              http://www.ebay.ca/itm/18650-portable-usb-battery-charger-box-/180871837163?pt=Battery_Chargers&hash=item2a1ccd35eb
              You charge it via the mini USB port and discharge it using the regular USB port.     You can stuff up to 2.0 amps into it and take out up to 2 amps.  You do have to purchase 18650 batteries separately.    Works very well from my viewpoint.

              I just leave it plugged into a standard hub or my laptop overnight or until it's charged after I use it.  But then you could also buy a cigarette lighter > USB adapter and charge it that way.  I found one with 2 USB ports and 2 amp output.

              I also have multiple retractable USB cables of every possible device such as Palm TX, mini, micro, Samsung tablet, cell phone, etc.  For the $2 or so for each backups are nice so I have one on the desk, another int he laptop bag and another in the vehicle so I can charge any of my devices anywhere.

              That said the above battery pack might be a bit heavy for hiking so some kind of AA device with four rechargeable batteries might be better.

              Tony
              Message 6 of 13 , May 20, 2013
                A ham from Garmin brought one by the booth at Hamvention. It's nice -
                not cheap, but looks to be a good balance of portable/chart plotter/car
                navigation. I'll have to see if my sample budget has room for one of those.

                Scott

                On 5/16/2013 8:15 AM, Fred Hillhouse wrote:
                > I traded a couple of emails with the gentleman (VE6AB) that posted these
                > photos. I specifically asked about breadcrumbs and said it didn't leave them
                > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/aprsisce/photos/album/1607181897/pic/list
                > I am hoping for one of these.
                > Best regards,
                > Fred, N7FMH
                > Dual APRS Displays

              • Teddy Banks
                Message 7 of 13 , May 20, 2013
                  Well, if those things are pricey, that would certainly separate the
                  Wheat from the Chaff.
                  On 5/20/2013 5:01 PM, Scott Miller wrote:
                  > A ham from Garmin brought one by the booth at Hamvention. It's nice -
                  > not cheap, but looks to be a good balance of portable/chart plotter/car
                  > navigation. I'll have to see if my sample budget has room for one of those.
                  >
                  > Scott
                  >
                  > On 5/16/2013 8:15 AM, Fred Hillhouse wrote:
                  >> I traded a couple of emails with the gentleman (VE6AB) that posted these
                  >> photos. I specifically asked about breadcrumbs and said it didn't leave them
                  >> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/aprsisce/photos/album/1607181897/pic/list
                  >> I am hoping for one of these.
                  >> Best regards,
                  >> Fred, N7FMH
                  >> Dual APRS Displays

                  Ham Radio Operators KCØWNY-KDØACN Ted & Kay
                • tbanks204
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 20, 2013
                    After looking at them, they have a rather small screen size, for the price.

                    Message 9 of 13 , May 20, 2013
                      At 04:01 PM 2013-05-20, Scott Miller wrote:

                      >A ham from Garmin brought one by the booth at Hamvention.  It's
                      nice -
                      >not cheap, but looks to be a good balance of portable/chart
                      plotter/car
                      >navigation.  I'll have to see if my sample budget has room for
                      one of those.

                      Or maybe the lust/want/toys budget.    <smile>

                      Tony
                    • Jason KG4WSV
                      Message 10 of 13 , May 20, 2013
                        On May 20, 2013, at 5:32 PM, "tbanks204" <tbanks204@...> wrote:

                        > After looking at them, they have a rather small screen size, for the price.

                        A bit small for a car gps, a bit large for a hiking gps. Could be a decent compromise if you want one that does both. I'm still deciding (and saving up).

                        -Jason
                        kg4wsv
                      • Fred Hillhouse
                        Message 11 of 13 , May 21, 2013
                          That is a pretty good assessment. I hike and am looking for a new GPS. I was looking at the Garmin 62. I also drive and want a new GPS with a bigger screen. I can maybe afford one. The Montana is a heavy for hiking and small for driving but is a reasonable compromise if only one can be bought. I am saving up as well.

                          Best regards,
                          Fred

                          Message 12 of 13 , May 21, 2013
                            At 07:20 AM 2013-05-21, Fred Hillhouse wrote:

                            My $15 Bluetooth <> Serial adapter should be here in the next week.  Along with my vehicle mount for my tablet.  So then I might be able to use APRSDroid on my 10" Android tablet as my GPS.

                            Tony

                            Message 13 of 13 , May 21, 2013
                              I have a tablet running APRSIS32 so that is my "GPS". It doesn't do trip routing but it does require me to prefetch the maps I want. At least until I get internet in my car.

                              Fred