can the Argent OT3 run two programs?

  • kb8emd
    Message 1 of 4 , May 15, 2013
      I was talking to an owner of a Argent OT3
      while he hasn't tried to get it to work yet he's to busy trying to get his Yaesu FTM-350 radio to work with aprsis/32 seems he's having trouble with cables

      He mentioned to me the other night that the Argent can only be programed to run one way say as a Digipeater then if you want to use it as a stand alone tracker it would have to be reprogramed?

      something about not having enough memory nor a switch to change from one program to the other.
      is he correct?

      my old PacComm TINY2 is the same way I have to change it with different settings.

      I just like the look of the Argent but several Byonics trackers are used by members of my club. May have to buy both everyone needs 3 TNC'S.

      Larry KB8EMD
    • Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
      Message 2 of 4 , May 15, 2013
        The OT2m and OT3m devices are quite content to be trackers AND
        digipeaters AND provide a PC interface via KISS for RF access to APRS
        clients, all at the same time. It's just a matter of providing it NMEA
        input on one port, configuring the digipeater settings internally, and
        connecting the PC on the other port. The T2/3-135 equivalent devices
        can do either tracking OR PC interface because they've only got one port
        brought out the rear connector of the DR-135 in which they may be embedded.

        (and owner of an OT2m, T2-135, and T3-135)

        Message 3 of 4 , May 20, 2013
          > He mentioned to me the other night that the Argent can only be programed
          > to run one way say as a Digipeater then if you want to use it as a stand
          > alone tracker it would have to be reprogramed?
          >
          > something about not having enough memory nor a switch to change from one
          > program to the other.
          > is he correct?

          No, it'll basically do everything at once - the only limitations are on
          duplicate functions, like if you're trying to run two NMEA GPS receivers
          at the same time.

          You do want to watch out for KISS programs that send the 'exit kiss'
          command every time they close, though.

          Scott
        • Fred Hillhouse
          Message 4 of 4 , May 21, 2013
             > > He mentioned to me the other night that the Argent can only be programed
             > > to run one way say as a Digipeater then if you want to use it as a stand
             > > alone tracker it would have to be reprogramed?
             > >
             > > something about not having enough memory nor a switch to change from one
             > > program to the other.
             > > is he correct?

             > No, it'll basically do everything at once - the only limitations are on
             > duplicate functions, like if you're trying to run two NMEA GPS receivers
             > at the same time.

             > You do want to watch out for KISS programs that send the 'exit kiss'
             > command every time they close, though.

             > Scott

            I use APRSIS32 with a SimplyKISS port configured. It leaves the OT3 in KISS mode. It works great! The OT3 is also setup up to do preemptive digipeating for a specific path. Since my OT3 is mobile, I have no other digipeating configured. I currently don't have a GPS connected but if I connect one, the tracker functions will kick in. Currently, APRSIS32 is doing the tracker functions and providing a mobile view of the APRS environment around me.

            Best regards,
            Fred, N7FMH