Re: [tracker2] y-serial cable

  • Lasse / LA5PPA
    Message 1 of 10 , May 13, 2013
      This one ?
      https://www.argentdata.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=93&osCsid=0vo5v2bru5u94guioduaa3a5o0

      --
      Lasse

      Den 13.05.2013 15:03, skrev kb8emd:

      > I know I saw what the y-serial cable does and how it's hooked I just
      > can't seem to be able to find it again.
      >
      > black to?
      > red to?
      > blue to?
      >
      > when I get my argent OT3M I would like to use it while mobile not only
      > to send my position
      > but if I wanted to I could be able to watch APRS on my laptop in the
      > car while going down the road
      > would this cable allow me to do that?
      >
      > {blue to radio
      > GPS receiver-OT3-black db9{
      > {red to laptop
      >
      > does this look right I'm getting anxious waiting for Dayton Hamvention
      > money is burning a hole in my pocket.
      >
      > Thanks
      > Larry KB8EMD

    • kb8emd
      Message 2 of 10 , May 15, 2013
        Yep that's the one I would like to know what lead goes to what?
        I thought I saw a post here discussing how it's hooked
        I'm old and forgetful.
        Larry KB8EMD

        --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, Lasse / LA5PPA <div.tt14@...> wrote:

        > This one ?
        > https://www.argentdata.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=93&osCsid=0vo5v2bru5u94guioduaa3a5o0
        >
        > --
        > Lasse

      • k7ybz
        Message 3 of 10 , May 15, 2013
          I guess this is what you are looking for. Port A on the trackers is used for console mode with a computer but can also be used with a
          serial device. Port B can only be used with a serial device.

          black----------Red------------Blue-------------Tracker---------
          connector------Connector------Connector--------Function--------
          1--------------No Connection--No Connection----None
          2--------------2--------------No Connection----Data in to Port A
          3--------------3--------------No Connection----Data out from Port A
          4--------------4--------------4----------------Power for GPS (if used)
          5--------------5--------------5----------------Ground
          6--------------No Connection--No Connection----None
          7--------------No Connection--3----------------Data out from Port B
          8--------------No Connection--2----------------Data in to Port B

          Larry
          K7YBZ

          > Yep that's the one I would like to know what lead goes to what?
          > I thought I saw a post here discussing how it's hooked
          > I'm old and forgetful.
          > Larry KB8EMD
        • Tony VE6MVP
          Message 4 of 10 , May 15, 2013
            At 07:03 AM 2013-05-13, kb8emd wrote:

            I know I saw what the y-serial cable does and how it's hooked I just can't seem to be able to find it again.

            It took me ten or more minutes reading up on about three different web pages on the Argent site before I figured out exactly what was which.   I would urge Scott, when he is back from Dayton and has slowed down a bit, to update the pages in the website with the explicit instructions.   At least the serial cable page to state something like

            "Standard use is black to the Tracker, red for port A on the Tracker  to the PC while blue, for port B on the Tracker, is for the GPS.   Port A is the only port which can be used for command console input or by the OTWINAFG program for configuration .  It can also be used for reading/writing of data  If you accidentally change port A to other than AUTO and are unable to access the Tracker to configure the Tracker then send the command AMODE AUTO to port B."

            Or something like that.

            black to?

            OT3M

            red to?

            PC as that is the only port on which you can configure the device using OTWINCFG.

            blue to?

            GPS including Garmin Fleet Management.

            I now have a white P and G in white finger nail polish on the appropriate cable to assist me.

            Now, if you do screw up in the OTWINCFG program and change port A to Garmin as I did, you might be able to still run the OTWINCFG program and break in on port A.   I was unsuccessful.  Fortunately I recalled that you can send commands, in my case via the Nuvi 350 message interface, to change the port protocol.  The command is AMODE AUTO and from the Nuvi 350 it is --AMODE AUTO.

            Tony

          • kb8emd
            Message 5 of 10 , May 15, 2013
              that's what I'm looking for thanks to all that replied I'm still trying to figure out a way to get to Hamvention, 20 miles from me, with my mobility scooter I didn't even think about getting back into radio until last month and I sure didn't know Hamvention is only 2 days away.
              again thanks to all.

              --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "k7ybz" <k7ybz@...> wrote:

              > I guess this is what you are looking for. Port A on the trackers is used for console mode with a computer but can also be used with a
              > serial device. Port B can only be used with a serial device.
              >
              > black----------Red------------Blue-------------Tracker---------
              > connector------Connector------Connector--------Function--------
              > 1--------------No Connection--No Connection----None
              > 2--------------2--------------No Connection----Data in to Port A
              > 3--------------3--------------No Connection----Data out from Port A
              > 4--------------4--------------4----------------Power for GPS (if used)
              > 5--------------5--------------5----------------Ground
              > 6--------------No Connection--No Connection----None
              > 7--------------No Connection--3----------------Data out from Port B
              > 8--------------No Connection--2----------------Data in to Port B
              >
              > Larry
              > K7YBZ
              >
              > > Yep that's the one I would like to know what lead goes to what?
              > > I thought I saw a post here discussing how it's hooked
              > > I'm old and forgetful.
              > > Larry KB8EMD

            • kb8emd
              Message 6 of 10 , May 15, 2013
                That was very helpful I'll copy your response save and print it out.
                thanks
                Larry KB8EMD

                --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, Tony VE6MVP <tony@...> wrote:

                > At 07:03 AM 2013-05-13, kb8emd wrote:
                >
                > >I know I saw what the y-serial cable does and how it's hooked I just
                > >can't seem to be able to find it again.
                >
                > It took me ten or more minutes reading up on about three different
                > web pages on the Argent site before I figured out exactly what was
                > which. I would urge Scott, when he is back from Dayton and has
                > slowed down a bit, to update the pages in the website with the
                > explicit instructions. At least the serial cable page to state something like
                >
                > "Standard use is black to the Tracker, red for port A on the
                > Tracker to the PC while blue, for port B on the Tracker, is for the
                > GPS. Port A is the only port which can be used for command console
                > input or by the OTWINAFG program for configuration . It can also be
                > used for reading/writing of data If you accidentally change port A
                > to other than AUTO and are unable to access the Tracker to configure
                > the Tracker then send the command AMODE AUTO to port B."
                >
                > Or something like that.
                >
                > >black to?
                >
                > OT3M
                >
                > >red to?
                >
                > PC as that is the only port on which you can configure the device
                > using OTWINCFG.
                >
                > >blue to?
                >
                > GPS including Garmin Fleet Management.
                >
                > I now have a white P and G in white finger nail polish on the
                > appropriate cable to assist me.
                >
                > Now, if you do screw up in the OTWINCFG program and change port A to
                > Garmin as I did, you might be able to still run the OTWINCFG program
                > and break in on port A. I was unsuccessful. Fortunately I recalled
                > that you can send commands, in my case via the Nuvi 350 message
                > interface, to change the port protocol. The command is AMODE AUTO
                > and from the Nuvi 350 it is --AMODE AUTO.
                >
                > Tony

              • Tony VE6MVP
                Message 7 of 10 , May 15, 2013
                  At 03:21 PM 2013-05-15, Tony VE6MVP wrote:

                  >I would urge Scott, when he is back from Dayton and has slowed down a
                  bit, to update the pages in the website with the explicit instructions.   At least the serial cable page to state something like

                  Arggghhh.  I meant to state the serial splitter Y cable page.

                  Tony
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 21, 2013
                    > It took me ten or more minutes reading up on about three different web
                    > pages on the Argent site before I figured out exactly what was which.
                    > I would urge Scott, when he is back from Dayton and has slowed down a

                    Which page did you go to first for the information? Sometimes I'm not
                    sure where people are expecting to find stuff.

                    > AUTO and are unable to access the Tracker to configure the Tracker then
                    > send the command AMODE AUTO to port B."

                    You'd only be able to do that over FMI - port B doesn't have the command
                    console.

                    Scott
                  • Tony VE6MVP
                    Message 9 of 10 , May 21, 2013
                      At 09:34 PM 2013-05-21, Scott Miller wrote:

                      > > It took me ten or more minutes reading up on about three different web
                      > > pages on the Argent site before I figured out exactly what was which.
                      > > I would urge Scott, when he is back from Dayton and has slowed down a
                      >
                      >Which page did you go to first for the information? Sometimes I'm not
                      >sure where people are expecting to find stuff.

                      I have no idea where I went first as that is well over a year ago. I
                      would start by adding my suggested paragraph to
                      https://www.argentdata.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=93

                      > > AUTO and are unable to access the Tracker to configure the Tracker then
                      > > send the command AMODE AUTO to port B."
                      >
                      >You'd only be able to do that over FMI - port B doesn't have the command
                      >console.

                      The previous sentence or two of my paragraph that you snipped states
                      that I sent that command from the Nuvi 350 which is, of course, using
                      the FMI. So we agree with each other.

                      Tony