Re: Tracker3 / OT3m - next steps for a new owner (after the manual)?

  • wmacris
    Message 1 of 28 , May 6, 2013
      > Okay, so you have a USB connection, which then shows up as a serial
      > port on the computer... what port number?
      >
      > How are you enabling USBKISS on the OT3?

      COM7, and enabled it using two different methods at different times. First tried USBKISS checkbox in GUI. Then after no progress in the APRS program, logged in over console, did some debugging (eg look at settings, watch packets come in, etc), re-enabled it via commandline and tried again.

      Willie / AC0UK
      Message 2 of 28 , May 6, 2013
        On Mon, May 6, 2013 at 9:52 AM, wmacris <wmacris@...> wrote:

        >> How are you enabling USBKISS on the OT3?
        >
        > COM7, and enabled it using two different methods at different times. First tried
        > USBKISS checkbox in GUI. Then after no progress in the APRS program, logged
        > in over console, did some debugging (eg look at settings, watch packets come
        > in, etc), re-enabled it via commandline and tried again.

        Okay, so after you enabled USBKISS, you shut down OTWINCFG, and or
        your terminal program, and then connected with APRSISCE/32? DId you
        get any errors in the port log?

        Message 3 of 28 , May 6, 2013
          > Or old information, such as mentioning RELAY favourably, that hasn't
          > been purged or marked as obsolete or doesn't have a publication date.
          >
          > This actually is where a Wiki can come in nicely. One problem in one
          > APRS product is that there are only five people who can update the wiki.
          > So when other folks, like me, come across something that they'd like to
          > add a paragraph or two, then they can't.

          Unfortunately the Argent wiki got trashed by spammers. I locked it down
          but the registration process is broken. I've got to find time to get in
          there and figure out what went wrong. I think the info.aprs.net wiki is
          working OK, and I upgraded it at the same time, so I should probably
          compare the two.

          Scott
        • buckeye4330
          Message 4 of 28 , May 7, 2013
            I too am interested in getting a Argent OT3 and a bionics GPS so I have been reading these post with great interest. from what I understand Scott is the person I need to talk to altho I only live 20 miles from Dayton I won't be able to attend hard for me to walk will Argent have a booth if so I will sent in a friend and have him pick up what I need
            so keep this thread going I too need to know
            Larry KB8EMD

            Message 5 of 28 , May 7, 2013
              We'll be in the east hall, 504-505 again. We're building and testing
              like crazy to try to get stuff ready in time to sell there.

              Scott

              On 5/7/2013 5:34 PM, buckeye4330 wrote:
              > I too am interested in getting a Argent OT3 and a bionics GPS so I have
              > been reading these post with great interest. from what I understand
              > Scott is the person I need to talk to altho I only live 20 miles from
              > Dayton I won't be able to attend hard for me to walk will Argent have a
              > booth if so I will sent in a friend and have him pick up what I need
              > so keep this thread going I too need to know
              > Larry KB8EMD

              > Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > > Or old information, such as mentioning RELAY favourably, that hasn't
              > > > been purged or marked as obsolete or doesn't have a publication date.
              > > >
              > > > This actually is where a Wiki can come in nicely. One problem in one
              > > > APRS product is that there are only five people who can update the
              > wiki.
              > > > So when other folks, like me, come across something that they'd like to
              > > > add a paragraph or two, then they can't.
              > >
              > > Unfortunately the Argent wiki got trashed by spammers. I locked it down
              > > but the registration process is broken. I've got to find time to get in
              > > there and figure out what went wrong. I think the info.aprs.net wiki is
              > > working OK, and I upgraded it at the same time, so I should probably
              > > compare the two.
              > >
              > > Scott

            • Willie M
              Message 6 of 28 , May 8, 2013
                Hi James, I have traffic passing between the tracker and the PC now. The
                root of the problem was the port setup performed by APRSISCE/32,
                specifically the OpenCmd and CloseCmd which were interfering with the
                tracker's functioning in KISS mode. I solved it by setting the tracker's
                mode to be USBKISS with the Windows config program, so no further config
                was needed for the module to function, then I manually edited the XML
                config for APRSISCE/32 and remove the configuration steps of the open and
                close - basically deleting all but one OpenCmd and CloseCmd, which I set to
                be the null commands (it's mentioned in the APRSISCE/32 wiki).

                If anyone is interested, the resulting XML for my serial port (it's the
                USBKISS one) is below. The USB port has already been set to USBKISS, so on
                power-up / attachment to the PC, you don't need to do any further config of
                the port.

                <!--RFPort[0]-->
                <RFPort Name="OT3m">
                <Protocol>KISS</Protocol>
                <Device>COM7:9600,N,8,1</Device>
                <RfBaud>1200</RfBaud>
                <OpenCmd>~!!0</OpenCmd>
                <CloseCmd>~!!0</CloseCmd>
                <QuietTime>128</QuietTime>
                <Enabled>1</Enabled>
                <XmitEnabled>1</XmitEnabled>
                <ProvidesNMEA>0</ProvidesNMEA>
                <RFtoISEnabled>1</RFtoISEnabled>
                <IStoRFEnabled>1</IStoRFEnabled>
                <MyCallNot3rd>0</MyCallNot3rd>
                <BeaconingEnabled>1</BeaconingEnabled>
                <BeaconPath></BeaconPath>
                <BulletinObjectEnabled>1</BulletinObjectEnabled>
                <DXEnabled>0</DXEnabled>
                <DXPath></DXPath>
                <MessagesEnabled>1</MessagesEnabled>
                <MessagePath></MessagePath>
                <TelemetryEnabled>0</TelemetryEnabled>
                <TelemetryPath></TelemetryPath>
                </RFPort>
                <!--RFPort[0]-->

                Thanks for your help,
                Willie . AC0UK

                On Mon, May 6, 2013 at 7:22 PM, James Ewen <ve6srv@...> wrote:

                > On Mon, May 6, 2013 at 9:52 AM, wmacris <wmacris@...> wrote:
                >
                > >> How are you enabling USBKISS on the OT3?
                > >
                > > COM7, and enabled it using two different methods at different times.
                > First tried
                > > USBKISS checkbox in GUI. Then after no progress in the APRS program,
                > logged
                > > in over console, did some debugging (eg look at settings, watch packets
                > come
                > > in, etc), re-enabled it via commandline and tried again.
                >
                > Okay, so after you enabled USBKISS, you shut down OTWINCFG, and or
                > your terminal program, and then connected with APRSISCE/32? DId you
                > get any errors in the port log?
                >
                > --
                > James
                > VE6SRV

              • Fred Hillhouse
                Message 7 of 28 , May 8, 2013
                  SimplyKISS in APRSIS32 does the basic KISS for you. I use it for my OT2/3s.

                  Best regards,
                  Fred, N7FMH

                  Message 8 of 28 , May 8, 2013
                    On Wed, May 8, 2013 at 1:57 PM, Willie M <wmacris@...> wrote:

                    > Hi James, I have traffic passing between the tracker and the PC now. The
                    > root of the problem was the port setup performed by APRSISCE/32,
                    > specifically the OpenCmd and CloseCmd which were interfering with the
                    > tracker's functioning in KISS mode. I solved it by setting the tracker's
                    > mode to be USBKISS with the Windows config program, so no further config
                    > was needed for the module to function, then I manually edited the XML
                    > config for APRSISCE/32 and remove the configuration steps of the open and
                    > close - basically deleting all but one OpenCmd and CloseCmd, which I set to
                    > be the null commands (it's mentioned in the APRSISCE/32 wiki).

                    Yeah, you turned the KISS mode into SIMPLYKISS like Fred said.

                    That's documented in the wiki:

                    http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/port-kiss

                    Glad you found the issue. Have fun with the program, and when you need
                    more help with it, ask away on the APRSISCE/32 forum.

                  • Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
                    Message 9 of 28 , May 9, 2013
                      You get the same no-op effect if you use a Simply(KISS) port which is
                      recommended for devices that can be locked into KISS mode like the
                      USBKISS port on the T3. The (original) KISS mode in APRSISCE/32 will
                      automatically provide Kenwood-type open and close commands which will
                      drop the Tracker2 family ports out of KISS mode when APRSISCE/32 is closed.

                      I'm glad you figured that out and apologize for having been away from
                      e-mail for a while. Only about 200 more unread messages to go.

                    • Randy
                      Message 10 of 28 , May 9, 2013
                        Dayton

                        I wandered why there was no product to fill my order I placed a few days ago. I guess I will get the left overs after Dayton.

                        Randy/n4jzy

                        Message 11 of 28 , May 9, 2013
                          Today will actually be our first shipment of stuff to Dayton. We've
                          been going flat out for weeks to build stuff, but we're still not as far
                          ahead as I'd like. We have SSTVCAMs and T3-135s and minis done in
                          reasonable quantities, but the rest are going to keep us busy for the
                          next week.

                          Scott