Re: Tracker3 / OT3m - next steps for a new owner (after the manual)?

  • wmacris
    Message 1 of 28 , May 6, 2013
      Since my chosen application has a corresponding Yahoo group, it might be more fruitful for me to move over to that app's Yahoo group and continue reading through the archives there in a search for the necessary setup steps. So that's my current plan of attack.

      Message 2 of 28 , May 6, 2013
        On Sun, May 5, 2013 at 12:57 PM, wmacris <wmacris@...> wrote:

        >> Okay, explain what it was that you did. Tell us how you have connected
        >> to the OT3, what mode you put it in, etc.
        >
        > I am using the USB port and when connecting as a console I do see packets
        > (in console mode with the MONITOR ON set). Then, after enabling USBKISS
        > mode I found that APRSISCE/32 failed to see packets.

        Okay, so you have a USB connection, which then shows up as a serial
        port on the computer... what port number?

        How are you enabling USBKISS on the OT3?

      • wmacris
        Message 3 of 28 , May 6, 2013
          > Okay, so you have a USB connection, which then shows up as a serial
          > port on the computer... what port number?
          >
          > How are you enabling USBKISS on the OT3?

          COM7, and enabled it using two different methods at different times. First tried USBKISS checkbox in GUI. Then after no progress in the APRS program, logged in over console, did some debugging (eg look at settings, watch packets come in, etc), re-enabled it via commandline and tried again.

          Willie / AC0UK
        • Tony VE6MVP
          Message 4 of 28 , May 6, 2013
            At 05:50 PM 2013-05-05, Scott Miller wrote:

            >Programmers and engineers often aren't the best at
            >taking the time to document and explain things to newbies - we'd
            rather
            >be building stuff.  =]

            Absolutely.    <smile>  (I'm a programmer)

            >Something that drives me nuts about the ham world is that it seems
            like
            >anyone who knows how to throw together a web page wants to share
            their
            >knowledge with the world, and often it's just *wrong*.  When I
            went
            >looking for hard data on SSTV format specifications years ago, there
            was
            >so much inaccurate and incomplete information out there that it took
            me
            >forever to find the one document I needed.  APRS has a lot of
            that, too,
            >with horrible path suggestions and bad explanations
            everywhere.

            Or old information, such as mentioning RELAY favourably, that hasn't been purged or marked as obsolete or doesn't have a publication date.

            This actually is where a Wiki can come in nicely.   One problem in one APRS product is that there are only five people who can update the wiki. So when other folks, like me, come across something that they'd like to add a paragraph or two, then they can't.

            Tony
            Message 5 of 28 , May 6, 2013
              On Mon, May 6, 2013 at 9:52 AM, wmacris <wmacris@...> wrote:

              >> How are you enabling USBKISS on the OT3?
              >
              > COM7, and enabled it using two different methods at different times. First tried
              > USBKISS checkbox in GUI. Then after no progress in the APRS program, logged
              > in over console, did some debugging (eg look at settings, watch packets come
              > in, etc), re-enabled it via commandline and tried again.

              Okay, so after you enabled USBKISS, you shut down OTWINCFG, and or
              your terminal program, and then connected with APRSISCE/32? DId you
              get any errors in the port log?

              Message 6 of 28 , May 6, 2013
                > Or old information, such as mentioning RELAY favourably, that hasn't
                > been purged or marked as obsolete or doesn't have a publication date.
                >
                > This actually is where a Wiki can come in nicely. One problem in one
                > APRS product is that there are only five people who can update the wiki.
                > So when other folks, like me, come across something that they'd like to
                > add a paragraph or two, then they can't.

                Unfortunately the Argent wiki got trashed by spammers. I locked it down
                but the registration process is broken. I've got to find time to get in
                there and figure out what went wrong. I think the info.aprs.net wiki is
                working OK, and I upgraded it at the same time, so I should probably
                compare the two.

                Scott
              • buckeye4330
                Message 7 of 28 , May 7, 2013
                  I too am interested in getting a Argent OT3 and a bionics GPS so I have been reading these post with great interest. from what I understand Scott is the person I need to talk to altho I only live 20 miles from Dayton I won't be able to attend hard for me to walk will Argent have a booth if so I will sent in a friend and have him pick up what I need
                  so keep this thread going I too need to know
                  Larry KB8EMD

                  Message 8 of 28 , May 7, 2013
                    We'll be in the east hall, 504-505 again. We're building and testing
                    like crazy to try to get stuff ready in time to sell there.

                    Scott

                    On 5/7/2013 5:34 PM, buckeye4330 wrote:
                    > I too am interested in getting a Argent OT3 and a bionics GPS so I have
                    > been reading these post with great interest. from what I understand
                    > Scott is the person I need to talk to altho I only live 20 miles from
                    > Dayton I won't be able to attend hard for me to walk will Argent have a
                    > booth if so I will sent in a friend and have him pick up what I need
                    > so keep this thread going I too need to know
                    > Larry KB8EMD

                    > Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > > Or old information, such as mentioning RELAY favourably, that hasn't
                    > > > been purged or marked as obsolete or doesn't have a publication date.
                    > > >
                    > > > This actually is where a Wiki can come in nicely. One problem in one
                    > > > APRS product is that there are only five people who can update the
                    > wiki.
                    > > > So when other folks, like me, come across something that they'd like to
                    > > > add a paragraph or two, then they can't.
                    > >
                    > > Unfortunately the Argent wiki got trashed by spammers. I locked it down
                    > > but the registration process is broken. I've got to find time to get in
                    > > there and figure out what went wrong. I think the info.aprs.net wiki is
                    > > working OK, and I upgraded it at the same time, so I should probably
                    > > compare the two.
                    > >
                    > > Scott

                  • Willie M
                    Message 9 of 28 , May 8, 2013
                      Hi James, I have traffic passing between the tracker and the PC now. The
                      root of the problem was the port setup performed by APRSISCE/32,
                      specifically the OpenCmd and CloseCmd which were interfering with the
                      tracker's functioning in KISS mode. I solved it by setting the tracker's
                      mode to be USBKISS with the Windows config program, so no further config
                      was needed for the module to function, then I manually edited the XML
                      config for APRSISCE/32 and remove the configuration steps of the open and
                      close - basically deleting all but one OpenCmd and CloseCmd, which I set to
                      be the null commands (it's mentioned in the APRSISCE/32 wiki).

                      If anyone is interested, the resulting XML for my serial port (it's the
                      USBKISS one) is below. The USB port has already been set to USBKISS, so on
                      power-up / attachment to the PC, you don't need to do any further config of
                      the port.

                      <!--RFPort[0]-->
                      <RFPort Name="OT3m">
                      <Protocol>KISS</Protocol>
                      <Device>COM7:9600,N,8,1</Device>
                      <RfBaud>1200</RfBaud>
                      <OpenCmd>~!!0</OpenCmd>
                      <CloseCmd>~!!0</CloseCmd>
                      <QuietTime>128</QuietTime>
                      <Enabled>1</Enabled>
                      <XmitEnabled>1</XmitEnabled>
                      <ProvidesNMEA>0</ProvidesNMEA>
                      <RFtoISEnabled>1</RFtoISEnabled>
                      <IStoRFEnabled>1</IStoRFEnabled>
                      <MyCallNot3rd>0</MyCallNot3rd>
                      <BeaconingEnabled>1</BeaconingEnabled>
                      <BeaconPath></BeaconPath>
                      <BulletinObjectEnabled>1</BulletinObjectEnabled>
                      <DXEnabled>0</DXEnabled>
                      <DXPath></DXPath>
                      <MessagesEnabled>1</MessagesEnabled>
                      <MessagePath></MessagePath>
                      <TelemetryEnabled>0</TelemetryEnabled>
                      <TelemetryPath></TelemetryPath>
                      </RFPort>
                      <!--RFPort[0]-->

                      Thanks for your help,
                      Willie . AC0UK

                      On Mon, May 6, 2013 at 7:22 PM, James Ewen <ve6srv@...> wrote:

                      > On Mon, May 6, 2013 at 9:52 AM, wmacris <wmacris@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > >> How are you enabling USBKISS on the OT3?
                      > >
                      > > COM7, and enabled it using two different methods at different times.
                      > First tried
                      > > USBKISS checkbox in GUI. Then after no progress in the APRS program,
                      > logged
                      > > in over console, did some debugging (eg look at settings, watch packets
                      > come
                      > > in, etc), re-enabled it via commandline and tried again.
                      >
                      > Okay, so after you enabled USBKISS, you shut down OTWINCFG, and or
                      > your terminal program, and then connected with APRSISCE/32? DId you
                      > get any errors in the port log?
                      >
                      > --
                      > James
                      > VE6SRV

                    • Fred Hillhouse
                      Message 10 of 28 , May 8, 2013
                        SimplyKISS in APRSIS32 does the basic KISS for you. I use it for my OT2/3s.

                        Best regards,
                        Fred, N7FMH

                        Message 11 of 28 , May 8, 2013
                          On Wed, May 8, 2013 at 1:57 PM, Willie M <wmacris@...> wrote:

                          > Hi James, I have traffic passing between the tracker and the PC now. The
                          > root of the problem was the port setup performed by APRSISCE/32,
                          > specifically the OpenCmd and CloseCmd which were interfering with the
                          > tracker's functioning in KISS mode. I solved it by setting the tracker's
                          > mode to be USBKISS with the Windows config program, so no further config
                          > was needed for the module to function, then I manually edited the XML
                          > config for APRSISCE/32 and remove the configuration steps of the open and
                          > close - basically deleting all but one OpenCmd and CloseCmd, which I set to
                          > be the null commands (it's mentioned in the APRSISCE/32 wiki).

                          Yeah, you turned the KISS mode into SIMPLYKISS like Fred said.

                          That's documented in the wiki:

                          http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/port-kiss

                          Glad you found the issue. Have fun with the program, and when you need
                          more help with it, ask away on the APRSISCE/32 forum.

                        • Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
                          Message 12 of 28 , May 9, 2013
                            You get the same no-op effect if you use a Simply(KISS) port which is
                            recommended for devices that can be locked into KISS mode like the
                            USBKISS port on the T3. The (original) KISS mode in APRSISCE/32 will
                            automatically provide Kenwood-type open and close commands which will
                            drop the Tracker2 family ports out of KISS mode when APRSISCE/32 is closed.

                            I'm glad you figured that out and apologize for having been away from
                            e-mail for a while. Only about 200 more unread messages to go.

                          • Randy
                            Message 13 of 28 , May 9, 2013
                              Dayton

                              I wandered why there was no product to fill my order I placed a few days ago. I guess I will get the left overs after Dayton.

                              Randy/n4jzy

                              Message 14 of 28 , May 9, 2013
                                Today will actually be our first shipment of stuff to Dayton. We've
                                been going flat out for weeks to build stuff, but we're still not as far
                                ahead as I'd like. We have SSTVCAMs and T3-135s and minis done in
                                reasonable quantities, but the rest are going to keep us busy for the
                                next week.

                                Scott