Re: Tracker3 / OT3m - next steps for a new owner (after the manual)?

  • wmacris
    Message 1 of 28 , May 4, 2013
      Before going to specifics, in reference to your comment "Get an APRS program up and running, and start out by learning the application layer" -- I had already tried, unsuccessfully, to get a few different programs up and functional, hence the series of questions.

      Thanks for taking the time to put together some resources for me as well as the detailed response. Much appreciated!

      > On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 9:18 AM, wmacris <wmacris@...> wrote:
      >
      > > My questions are as follows:
      > >
      > > 1 - How do I know what digipeater settings are "good" for a given environment?
      >
      > You probably mean path settings for your station, not digipeater
      > settings, which would be the settings for a digipeater. Again, the
      > default parameters are the recommended settings.

      No, I did mean digipeater, since that feature was the reason I chose the OT3m over the OpenTracker USB.

      > Go look at the aprs.fi page for your station:
      >
      > http://aprs.fi/AC0UK-2
      >
      > Zoom out so you can see Minneapolis, and then hover the mouse over
      > your station icon. A line will appear showing where the signal from
      > your station had to travel to end up on the internet. Right now it
      > shows me you got heard by N0QVC-1 in Faribault, 40 km away, and then
      > W0YC-10 in Minneapolis 76 km away heard the packet and gated it to the
      > internet. Those are fairly long hauls, and if at any time another
      > packet clobbers your packet, you're not going to see the result on the
      > internet.

      Yes, I had noticed that there were some even longer hops being taken. As a home station, maybe it does not necessarily need to broadcast its own position over RF but could instead link up through the Internet and act as an IGate.

      > > 3 - Interfacing the tracker to other software - e.g. APRISCE/32 - is a mystery.
      >
      > Why is it a mystery? Connect the OT to a computer and follow the instructions.

      Did that. Failed to obtain success. Found docs online that were not exactly clear as to how to configure the settings for opening and closing the port. References to XML config files; no specific "known-good" examples that I had found yet.

      > > When I had it set to MONITOR ON (not KISS mode) then APRSISCE/32
      > > complained about badly formatted packets.
      >
      > If you get in your car and select the R position on the gear shift,
      > would you complain about going backwards? You have to select the
      > proper mode for the program to be able to get the packets from the OT
      > in the right format.

      I was making the point that clearly the interface worked and was producing output, yet after going to USBKISS mode (as desired) the interface went silent. And in the software apparently no packets were coming in. Or, I was unable to get to any log window that showed proof of inbound data.

      > There's something else going on... If you are receiving packets that
      > you can see with a terminal program connected to the OT, then when you
      > disconnect the terminal program, and connect APRSISCE/32 (with the
      > proper settings), you'll get packets showing up in APRSISCE/32.

      Yes, this is what I was getting at.

      > You ARE disconnecting the terminal program from the port, and allowing APRSISCE/32 or other programs access, aren't you?

      Yes, I did not leave any other programs connected / running.

      > No, the icon simply tells other stations what little picture to draw
      > on the screen to represent your station.

      Sounds good.

      > > Wondering if that affects how the module's packets are processed by other
      > > recipients.
      >
      > Yes it does... whatever you select as your icon will show up on other
      > people's screens.

      No, that is already evident but I meant does it impact actual behavior, for example is packet processing / forwarding applied differently by digipeaters based on the symbol associated with them?

      > > I have not yet found what I would call a good beginner's guide that addresses such questions.
      >
      > Here's your beginners guide:
      >
      > ftp://ftp.tapr.org/aprssig/aprsspec/spec/aprs101/APRS101.pdf
      >
      > Be aware, it's a little dry and technical, and if you manage to make
      > your way through it from front to back, and are able to ingest and
      > retain all the information, you will be an expert.
      >
      > You're making this much too hard for yourself. You seem to be fixated
      > on knowing the minute details at the outset.

      Thanks for the reference. Maybe you misunderstand, I don't feel a need to dive in at a packet protocol level, although I have some interest in that and have done embedded development for years. I am merely asking how to better understand the basics since as mentioned I had not found a really decent "APRS-101" yet.

      > Get an APRS program up and running,

      See above comment. In my case I found that it's not -quite- that easy.

      The reason why I eventually got a few more packets through is that I ran across a webpage describing how to set the deviation using the TX Level and it certainly was way off. It needed to be set to a level of 6 and was instead at 91. Much better results after that.

      FWIW as a rank beginner looking at the GUI, it did not cross my mind that the proper setting for the slider would be to move it virtually "off" to get it right. :)

      > James
      > VE6SRV

      Thanks again,
      Willie / AC0UK
      Message 2 of 28 , May 5, 2013
        On Sat, May 4, 2013 at 9:59 PM, wmacris <wmacris@...> wrote:

        > Before going to specifics, in reference to your comment "Get an APRS program
        > up and running, and start out by learning the application layer" -- I had already tried,
        > unsuccessfully, to get a few different programs up and functional, hence the series of questions.

        Okay, so then instead of wandering off down the garden path with a
        whole bunch of questions about protocols, specific bits of APRS
        sentence structure etc, let's concentrate on getting you up and
        running.

        Asking questions on a forum can always be a problem where the true
        root of the issue gets lost in the flurry of answers, most of which
        have nothing to do with the true question being asked.

        I'm going to drop all the queries and comments other than the basic
        entry level, "get it up and running" questions out of this response.
        We'll tuck the higher level questions away for now.

        >> > 3 - Interfacing the tracker to other software - e.g. APRISCE/32 - is a mystery.
        >>
        >> Why is it a mystery? Connect the OT to a computer and follow the instructions.
        >
        > Did that. Failed to obtain success. Found docs online that were not exactly clear as to
        > how to configure the settings for opening and closing the port. References to XML
        > config files; no specific "known-good" examples that I had found yet.

        Okay, explain what it was that you did. Tell us how you have connected
        to the OT3, what mode you put it in, etc.

        >> > When I had it set to MONITOR ON (not KISS mode) then APRSISCE/32
        >> > complained about badly formatted packets.
        >>
        >> If you get in your car and select the R position on the gear shift,
        >> would you complain about going backwards? You have to select the
        >> proper mode for the program to be able to get the packets from the OT
        >> in the right format.
        >
        > I was making the point that clearly the interface worked and was producing output,
        > yet after going to USBKISS mode (as desired) the interface went silent.
        > And in the software apparently no packets were coming in. Or, I was unable
        > to get to any log window that showed proof of inbound data.

        So if you are connected to the USB port on the OT3 (see the previous
        question above), you should be seeing what many people call garbage.
        If you are connected to another port on the OT3, say PORT A, when you
        enable USBKISS, port A will only be a console port. Here's a snippet
        from Scott on that issue:

        > Port A and the USB port are separate ports, but they're connected in
        > that the console only exists on one or the other. Plugging in USB
        > disables the console on the serial port, UNLESS you have USB KISS on.
        >

        >> There's something else going on... If you are receiving packets that
        >> you can see with a terminal program connected to the OT, then when you
        >> disconnect the terminal program, and connect APRSISCE/32 (with the
        >> proper settings), you'll get packets showing up in APRSISCE/32.
        >
        > Yes, this is what I was getting at.

        Unfortunately APRSISCE/32 still doesn't have a terminal program built
        into it, so it is difficult to poke around and see if you can find out
        what is going on. You have to exit APRSISCE/32, connect with a
        terminal program, and poke, then reconnect APRSISCE/32. If the issue
        is in how APRSISCE/32 is connecting/not connecting, you're out of luck
        trying to find it in this manner.

        >> You ARE disconnecting the terminal program from the port, and allowing APRSISCE/32 or
        >> other programs access, aren't you?
        >
        > Yes, I did not leave any other programs connected / running.

        Note the common theme here... we're concentrating on ensuring that the
        software and hardware are talking to each other.

        > I had not found a really decent "APRS-101" yet.

        There isn't a decent APRS-101 yet. The problem is that there are
        thousands of combinations of radios, TNCs, and programs out there. It
        is impossible to give exact wire-by-wire, finger-poke-by-finger-poke
        instructions for every possible combination and permutation. There are
        generic guides on how to get proper audio to and from your radio to
        TNC, specific help from each manufacturer of TNC, and specific guides
        for setting up the software from the software authors (and forum
        residents), but it's pretty tough to give 100% detailed instructions
        for your exact configuration.

        >> Get an APRS program up and running,
        >
        > See above comment. In my case I found that it's not -quite- that easy.
        >
        > The reason why I eventually got a few more packets through is that I ran across a webpage describing
        > how to set the deviation using the TX Level and it certainly was way off. It needed to be set to a
        > level of 6 and was instead at 91. Much better results after that.
        >
        > FWIW as a rank beginner looking at the GUI, it did not cross my mind that the proper setting for the slider
        > would be to move it virtually "off" to get it right. :)

        From page 28 of the OT3 user manual:
        https://www.argentdata.com/support/tracker3_manual.pdf

        The TX Audio Level paragraph talks about that issue.

        The slider goes from all the way to the left to all the way to the
        right because it can be adjusted over that range. Sometimes we just
        like to over think things or outsmart ourselves... :)

        So, when you are connected to the OT3, what port are you connected to,
        and are you seeing incoming packets?

      • wmacris
        Message 3 of 28 , May 5, 2013

          > Okay, so then instead of wandering off down the garden path with a
          > whole bunch of questions about protocols, specific bits of APRS
          > sentence structure etc, let's concentrate on getting you up and
          > running.
          >
          > Okay, explain what it was that you did. Tell us how you have connected
          > to the OT3, what mode you put it in, etc.

          I am using the USB port and when connecting as a console I do see packets (in console mode with the MONITOR ON set). Then, after enabling USBKISS mode I found that APRSISCE/32 failed to see packets.

          It appears that my initialization sequence of ARPSISCE/32 is not engaging in USB KISS mode with the OT3m. It is likely a basic config issue that I have just not yet identified. I have not finished reading all the online docs but the program's website seems well written so I assume I might find the info there somewhere. I found mention of manually editing the XML file with commands to open and close the port... and this I have not done.

          As another test, when connecting to a Linux box instead, I also see packets coming in there (when in console mode, not USBKISS mode).

          > From page 28 of the OT3 user manual:
          > https://www.argentdata.com/support/tracker3_manual.pdf
          >
          > The TX Audio Level paragraph talks about that issue.

          I read the entire manual including that section. In fact I even removed the HI jumper because the manual states that this was for Mobile transceivers.

          Thanks, and I agree, let's focus on getting a program working, in this case APRSISCE/32 seems like a good start.

          Willie / AC0UK
          Message 4 of 28 , May 5, 2013
            > There isn't a decent APRS-101 yet. The problem is that there are
            > thousands of combinations of radios, TNCs, and programs out there. It

            I *am* working with a graphic artist on an infographic sort of thing
            that will at least describe the basic roles in the network - wide digi,
            fill-in digi, mobile user, IGate, core server, etc. That will just be a
            starting point. Maybe as time goes on I'll commission more diagrams to
            show the details of each segment.

            The overview one should be done in time to be displayed as a poster at
            Dayton, and I'll have it on the web soon after.

            Scott
          • wmacris
            Message 5 of 28 , May 5, 2013
              That overview sounds cool!

              I hope my comments didn't come off as criticism of the product line because that is not the intent. I have purchased many an electronics project over the years that have been the stereotypical hobby-kit-handmade-in-the-basement kind of thing. Yours is not one of those and I'm quite pleased with the level of documentation and production quality of the module.

              Message 6 of 28 , May 5, 2013
                I'm really trying to take some time to go back and fill in the gaps, and
                put out some good introductory material for people just getting into it.
                The problem is that APRS was a DIY thing from the start and it grew
                very organically. Programmers and engineers often aren't the best at
                taking the time to document and explain things to newbies - we'd rather
                be building stuff. =]

                Something that drives me nuts about the ham world is that it seems like
                anyone who knows how to throw together a web page wants to share their
                knowledge with the world, and often it's just *wrong*. When I went
                looking for hard data on SSTV format specifications years ago, there was
                so much inaccurate and incomplete information out there that it took me
                forever to find the one document I needed. APRS has a lot of that, too,
                with horrible path suggestions and bad explanations everywhere.

                I could put together a Visio diagram that conveys the same information
                as this infographic we're working on, and in fact the stick figure
                sketch I drew to send to the artist covers the material, but I'm hoping
                that getting an artist involved and making it look good will help it to
                displace some of the *bad* information that's out there, and not just
                add to the clutter.

                Plus, some nice APRS posters will give me something to hang up in the
                front office. Right now the only decorations in there are the Cowboy
                Bebop sketches someone drew on the whiteboard.

                Scott

                On 5/5/2013 3:10 PM, wmacris wrote:
                > That overview sounds cool!
                >
                > I hope my comments didn't come off as criticism of the product line
                > because that is not the intent. I have purchased many an electronics
                > project over the years that have been the stereotypical
                > hobby-kit-handmade-in-the-basement kind of thing. Yours is not one of
                > those and I'm quite pleased with the level of documentation and
                > production quality of the module.

                > Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:
                >
                > > I *am* working with a graphic artist on an infographic sort of thing
                > > that will at least describe the basic roles in the network - wide digi,
                > > fill-in digi, mobile user, IGate, core server, etc. That will just be a
                > > starting point. Maybe as time goes on I'll commission more diagrams to
                > > show the details of each segment.
                > >
                > > The overview one should be done in time to be displayed as a poster at
                > > Dayton, and I'll have it on the web soon after.
                > >
                > > Scott

              • wmacris
                Message 7 of 28 , May 6, 2013
                  Since my chosen application has a corresponding Yahoo group, it might be more fruitful for me to move over to that app's Yahoo group and continue reading through the archives there in a search for the necessary setup steps. So that's my current plan of attack.

                  Message 8 of 28 , May 6, 2013
                    On Sun, May 5, 2013 at 12:57 PM, wmacris <wmacris@...> wrote:

                    >> Okay, explain what it was that you did. Tell us how you have connected
                    >> to the OT3, what mode you put it in, etc.
                    >
                    > I am using the USB port and when connecting as a console I do see packets
                    > (in console mode with the MONITOR ON set). Then, after enabling USBKISS
                    > mode I found that APRSISCE/32 failed to see packets.

                    Okay, so you have a USB connection, which then shows up as a serial
                    port on the computer... what port number?

                    How are you enabling USBKISS on the OT3?

                  • wmacris
                    Message 9 of 28 , May 6, 2013
                      > Okay, so you have a USB connection, which then shows up as a serial
                      > port on the computer... what port number?
                      >
                      > How are you enabling USBKISS on the OT3?

                      COM7, and enabled it using two different methods at different times. First tried USBKISS checkbox in GUI. Then after no progress in the APRS program, logged in over console, did some debugging (eg look at settings, watch packets come in, etc), re-enabled it via commandline and tried again.

                      Willie / AC0UK
                    • Tony VE6MVP
                      Message 10 of 28 , May 6, 2013
                        At 05:50 PM 2013-05-05, Scott Miller wrote:

                        >Programmers and engineers often aren't the best at
                        >taking the time to document and explain things to newbies - we'd
                        rather
                        >be building stuff.  =]

                        Absolutely.    <smile>  (I'm a programmer)

                        >Something that drives me nuts about the ham world is that it seems
                        like
                        >anyone who knows how to throw together a web page wants to share
                        their
                        >knowledge with the world, and often it's just *wrong*.  When I
                        went
                        >looking for hard data on SSTV format specifications years ago, there
                        was
                        >so much inaccurate and incomplete information out there that it took
                        me
                        >forever to find the one document I needed.  APRS has a lot of
                        that, too,
                        >with horrible path suggestions and bad explanations
                        everywhere.

                        Or old information, such as mentioning RELAY favourably, that hasn't been purged or marked as obsolete or doesn't have a publication date.

                        This actually is where a Wiki can come in nicely.   One problem in one APRS product is that there are only five people who can update the wiki. So when other folks, like me, come across something that they'd like to add a paragraph or two, then they can't.

                        Tony
                        Message 11 of 28 , May 6, 2013
                          On Mon, May 6, 2013 at 9:52 AM, wmacris <wmacris@...> wrote:

                          >> How are you enabling USBKISS on the OT3?
                          >
                          > COM7, and enabled it using two different methods at different times. First tried
                          > USBKISS checkbox in GUI. Then after no progress in the APRS program, logged
                          > in over console, did some debugging (eg look at settings, watch packets come
                          > in, etc), re-enabled it via commandline and tried again.

                          Okay, so after you enabled USBKISS, you shut down OTWINCFG, and or
                          your terminal program, and then connected with APRSISCE/32? DId you
                          get any errors in the port log?

                          Message 12 of 28 , May 6, 2013
                            > Or old information, such as mentioning RELAY favourably, that hasn't
                            > been purged or marked as obsolete or doesn't have a publication date.
                            >
                            > This actually is where a Wiki can come in nicely. One problem in one
                            > APRS product is that there are only five people who can update the wiki.
                            > So when other folks, like me, come across something that they'd like to
                            > add a paragraph or two, then they can't.

                            Unfortunately the Argent wiki got trashed by spammers. I locked it down
                            but the registration process is broken. I've got to find time to get in
                            there and figure out what went wrong. I think the info.aprs.net wiki is
                            working OK, and I upgraded it at the same time, so I should probably
                            compare the two.

                            Scott
                          • buckeye4330
                            Message 13 of 28 , May 7, 2013
                              I too am interested in getting a Argent OT3 and a bionics GPS so I have been reading these post with great interest. from what I understand Scott is the person I need to talk to altho I only live 20 miles from Dayton I won't be able to attend hard for me to walk will Argent have a booth if so I will sent in a friend and have him pick up what I need
                              so keep this thread going I too need to know
                              Larry KB8EMD

                              Message 14 of 28 , May 7, 2013
                                We'll be in the east hall, 504-505 again. We're building and testing
                                like crazy to try to get stuff ready in time to sell there.

                                Scott

                                On 5/7/2013 5:34 PM, buckeye4330 wrote:
                                > I too am interested in getting a Argent OT3 and a bionics GPS so I have
                                > been reading these post with great interest. from what I understand
                                > Scott is the person I need to talk to altho I only live 20 miles from
                                > Dayton I won't be able to attend hard for me to walk will Argent have a
                                > booth if so I will sent in a friend and have him pick up what I need
                                > so keep this thread going I too need to know
                                > Larry KB8EMD

                                > Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > > Or old information, such as mentioning RELAY favourably, that hasn't
                                > > > been purged or marked as obsolete or doesn't have a publication date.
                                > > >
                                > > > This actually is where a Wiki can come in nicely. One problem in one
                                > > > APRS product is that there are only five people who can update the
                                > wiki.
                                > > > So when other folks, like me, come across something that they'd like to
                                > > > add a paragraph or two, then they can't.
                                > >
                                > > Unfortunately the Argent wiki got trashed by spammers. I locked it down
                                > > but the registration process is broken. I've got to find time to get in
                                > > there and figure out what went wrong. I think the info.aprs.net wiki is
                                > > working OK, and I upgraded it at the same time, so I should probably
                                > > compare the two.
                                > >
                                > > Scott

                              • Willie M
                                Message 15 of 28 , May 8, 2013
                                  Hi James, I have traffic passing between the tracker and the PC now. The
                                  root of the problem was the port setup performed by APRSISCE/32,
                                  specifically the OpenCmd and CloseCmd which were interfering with the
                                  tracker's functioning in KISS mode. I solved it by setting the tracker's
                                  mode to be USBKISS with the Windows config program, so no further config
                                  was needed for the module to function, then I manually edited the XML
                                  config for APRSISCE/32 and remove the configuration steps of the open and
                                  close - basically deleting all but one OpenCmd and CloseCmd, which I set to
                                  be the null commands (it's mentioned in the APRSISCE/32 wiki).

                                  If anyone is interested, the resulting XML for my serial port (it's the
                                  USBKISS one) is below. The USB port has already been set to USBKISS, so on
                                  power-up / attachment to the PC, you don't need to do any further config of
                                  the port.

                                  <!--RFPort[0]-->
                                  <RFPort Name="OT3m">
                                  <Protocol>KISS</Protocol>
                                  <Device>COM7:9600,N,8,1</Device>
                                  <RfBaud>1200</RfBaud>
                                  <OpenCmd>~!!0</OpenCmd>
                                  <CloseCmd>~!!0</CloseCmd>
                                  <QuietTime>128</QuietTime>
                                  <Enabled>1</Enabled>
                                  <XmitEnabled>1</XmitEnabled>
                                  <ProvidesNMEA>0</ProvidesNMEA>
                                  <RFtoISEnabled>1</RFtoISEnabled>
                                  <IStoRFEnabled>1</IStoRFEnabled>
                                  <MyCallNot3rd>0</MyCallNot3rd>
                                  <BeaconingEnabled>1</BeaconingEnabled>
                                  <BeaconPath></BeaconPath>
                                  <BulletinObjectEnabled>1</BulletinObjectEnabled>
                                  <DXEnabled>0</DXEnabled>
                                  <DXPath></DXPath>
                                  <MessagesEnabled>1</MessagesEnabled>
                                  <MessagePath></MessagePath>
                                  <TelemetryEnabled>0</TelemetryEnabled>
                                  <TelemetryPath></TelemetryPath>
                                  </RFPort>
                                  <!--RFPort[0]-->

                                  Thanks for your help,
                                  Willie . AC0UK

                                  On Mon, May 6, 2013 at 7:22 PM, James Ewen <ve6srv@...> wrote:

                                  > On Mon, May 6, 2013 at 9:52 AM, wmacris <wmacris@...> wrote:
                                  >
                                  > >> How are you enabling USBKISS on the OT3?
                                  > >
                                  > > COM7, and enabled it using two different methods at different times.
                                  > First tried
                                  > > USBKISS checkbox in GUI. Then after no progress in the APRS program,
                                  > logged
                                  > > in over console, did some debugging (eg look at settings, watch packets
                                  > come
                                  > > in, etc), re-enabled it via commandline and tried again.
                                  >
                                  > Okay, so after you enabled USBKISS, you shut down OTWINCFG, and or
                                  > your terminal program, and then connected with APRSISCE/32? DId you
                                  > get any errors in the port log?
                                  >
                                  > --
                                  > James
                                  > VE6SRV

                                • Fred Hillhouse
                                  Message 16 of 28 , May 8, 2013
                                    SimplyKISS in APRSIS32 does the basic KISS for you. I use it for my OT2/3s.

                                    Best regards,
                                    Fred, N7FMH

                                    Message 17 of 28 , May 8, 2013
                                      On Wed, May 8, 2013 at 1:57 PM, Willie M <wmacris@...> wrote:

                                      > Hi James, I have traffic passing between the tracker and the PC now. The
                                      > root of the problem was the port setup performed by APRSISCE/32,
                                      > specifically the OpenCmd and CloseCmd which were interfering with the
                                      > tracker's functioning in KISS mode. I solved it by setting the tracker's
                                      > mode to be USBKISS with the Windows config program, so no further config
                                      > was needed for the module to function, then I manually edited the XML
                                      > config for APRSISCE/32 and remove the configuration steps of the open and
                                      > close - basically deleting all but one OpenCmd and CloseCmd, which I set to
                                      > be the null commands (it's mentioned in the APRSISCE/32 wiki).

                                      Yeah, you turned the KISS mode into SIMPLYKISS like Fred said.

                                      That's documented in the wiki:

                                      http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/port-kiss

                                      Glad you found the issue. Have fun with the program, and when you need
                                      more help with it, ask away on the APRSISCE/32 forum.

                                    • Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
                                      Message 18 of 28 , May 9, 2013
                                        You get the same no-op effect if you use a Simply(KISS) port which is
                                        recommended for devices that can be locked into KISS mode like the
                                        USBKISS port on the T3. The (original) KISS mode in APRSISCE/32 will
                                        automatically provide Kenwood-type open and close commands which will
                                        drop the Tracker2 family ports out of KISS mode when APRSISCE/32 is closed.

                                        I'm glad you figured that out and apologize for having been away from
                                        e-mail for a while. Only about 200 more unread messages to go.

                                      • Randy
                                        Message 19 of 28 , May 9, 2013
                                          Dayton

                                          I wandered why there was no product to fill my order I placed a few days ago. I guess I will get the left overs after Dayton.

                                          Randy/n4jzy

                                          Message 20 of 28 , May 9, 2013
                                            Today will actually be our first shipment of stuff to Dayton. We've
                                            been going flat out for weeks to build stuff, but we're still not as far
                                            ahead as I'd like. We have SSTVCAMs and T3-135s and minis done in
                                            reasonable quantities, but the rest are going to keep us busy for the
                                            next week.

                                            Scott