Re: [tracker2] Digipeater

    Message 1 of 24 , Apr 23, 2013
      On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 2:44 PM, tbanks204 <tbanks204@...> wrote:

      > how come when I look at the packets from the mobile KC0WNY-14, I never see
      > anything originating from KC0WNY from my Digipeater, only from other stations.

      If you look at packets from KC0WNY-14, you will never see packets
      originated from anywhere else.

      When you look at packets from KC0WNY-14, you are looking at packets
      that originate from that station. If you would like to see packets
      that originate from other origins, you would need to look at packets
      that originate from those other origins.

      http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&call=VE6SRV will show you packets that originate
      from my vehicle. You will not see packets that originate from any
      other station in that list because I have explicitly asked aprs.fi to
      show me only packets that originate from VE6SRV.

      If you would like to see packets that originate from KC0WNY, then you
      would simply ask aprs.fi to show you the same... here's a URL that
      will show you the packets that originated from KC0WNY:

      http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&call=KC0WNY&limit=50&view=normal

    • Teddy Banks
      Message 2 of 24 , Apr 23, 2013
        Thanks James, it starting to make a little more sense, and btw, if you happen to need a new railroad track built, I could do that :-)
        On 4/23/2013 7:43 PM, James Ewen wrote:

        On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 2:44 PM, tbanks204 <tbanks204@...> wrote:

        > how come when I look at the packets from the mobile KC0WNY-14, I never see
        > anything originating from KC0WNY from my Digipeater, only from other stations.

        If you look at packets from KC0WNY-14, you will never see packets
        originated from anywhere else.

        When you look at packets from KC0WNY-14, you are looking at packets
        that originate from that station. If you would like to see packets
        that originate from other origins, you would need to look at packets
        that originate from those other origins.

        http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&call=VE6SRV will show you packets that originate
        from my vehicle. You will not see packets that originate from any
        other station in that list because I have explicitly asked aprs.fi to
        show me only packets that originate from VE6SRV.

        If you would like to see packets that originate from KC0WNY, then you
        would simply ask aprs.fi to show you the same... here's a URL that
        will show you the packets that originated from KC0WNY:

        http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&call=KC0WNY&limit=50&view=normal

        Ham Radio Operators  KCØWNY-KDØACN  Ted & Kay

      • Ronny Julian
        Message 3 of 24 , Apr 23, 2013
          If you mouse over a station and select the info link upper right of the pop up window you will see a page that tells quite a bit about what is routing through a station or Digi.  I look at this on k4rjj-7 to make sure the thing still works as it is out in a remote location.

          Example

          Message 4 of 24 , Apr 24, 2013
            OK, the reasion for all the questions is, I am trying to learn how to find out if my home Station KC0WNY-1, (changed the ID) is doing what I think it should do, and that is, receive the packets sent from my mobile unit(s) one being my wife's Car, She is a ham also, with an ID of KC0WNY-14, when I looked at the raw data today, from both stations,  I can see the packets being picked up by a station ID of Walnut. The reasion I put up my station is because there is not much APRS Traffic in my local area, and I thought it would help for tracking purposes with my 2 mobile units. My antenna is about 30 ft high, and is a diamond 2 mtr ground plane,  I really enjoy this APRS Technology, but I am pretty thick headed,  I guess that about covers it. Thanks

            --
            Ham Radio Operators  KCØWNY-KDØACN  Ted & Kay

            Message 5 of 24 , Apr 24, 2013
              On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 10:47 AM, Teddy Banks <tbanks204@...> wrote:

              > OK, the reasion for all the questions is, I am trying to learn how to find
              > out if my home Station KC0WNY-1, (changed the ID) is doing what I think it
              > should do, and that is, receive the packets sent from my mobile unit(s) one
              > being my wife's Car, She is a ham also, with an ID of KC0WNY-14, when I
              > looked at the raw data today, from both stations, I can see the packets
              > being picked up by a station ID of Walnut. The reasion I put up my station
              > is because there is not much APRS Traffic in my local area, and I thought it
              > would help for tracking purposes with my 2 mobile units. My antenna is about
              > 30 ft high, and is a diamond 2 mtr ground plane, I really enjoy this APRS
              > Technology, but I am pretty thick headed, I guess that about covers it.

              Here's the tricky part about ham radio... you need to use ham radio to
              monitor ham radio.

              KC0WNY-14 looks to be a Kenwood TM-D710. That radio can be used for
              APRS, and it looks like it is. The wonderful thing about the TM-D710
              over other APRS devices like the TinyTrak and OpenTracker lines when
              used as TX only devices is that the TM-D710 has a transceiver, TNC,
              and display all built into one integrated package.

              So, to figure out if your home station is acting as a digipeater, all
              you need to do is to go out to your wife's car, and start up the
              TM-D710. It should fire out a position packet as soon as the attached
              GPS gets a position lock. The radio will transmit. If your home
              station is configured properly, and responds to the path used by your
              wife's car, you will see (on the display of the TM-D710) the words "MY
              POSITION"which will pop up on the top of the display. You will also
              see the S/RF meter indicate reception of a signal. The BUSY indicator
              should also light up. If you have your volume up, and Voice Alert
              disabled, you will hear a packet burst. If you have incoming packet
              beeps enabled, you'll also hear a be-doop sound indicating reception
              of a packet. You can also hit the P.MON button and watch the incoming
              packets to see if you can see a packet being digipeated by your
              station, but you need to be pretty quick to catch that flashing by,
              especially with a GPS on the radio.

              The radio gives all kinds of indications that it is receiving signals,
              all you have to do is pay attention to what it is telling you. You've
              indicated that the closest digipeater to you is 40 to 50 miles away
              (other than your station). I see MATFLD at 57 km (about 35 miles), so
              if you are seeing full scale signals of your digipeats, you can be
              pretty sure that you are seeing digipeats from your station.

              Another way you can figure out if your DR-135 and Tracker2 combination
              are working as a digipeater is to sit next to those devices and
              observe them. Turn up the volume on the DR-135, and watch the lights
              on the Tracker2. You should be able to hear a packet being received,
              and observe the RX light on the Tracker2. If the packet is asking for
              a digipeat and the Tracker2 is configured to respond to that alias,
              then the Tracker2 will light up it's TX light, and you should see the
              DR-135 go into TX mode, and send the packet out again.

              If you have an HT or other radio available, you can tune to 144.390
              and listen to the activity. You should hear packets from other
              stations (your wife), and then immediately after, a second
              transmission, which should correspond with the TX lights as indicated
              in the paragraph above.

              So, there's all kinds of information available to let you know if your
              station is working as desired.

              Now, if you want to observe the APRS activity via the internet, be
              prepared to be sorely disappointed because as we have posted
              continually over the years, the APRS-IS is designed to block ALL but
              the FIRST copy of a packet that is received. You will NEVER be able to
              tell exactly what is happening on the APRS RF network when observing
              the APRS-IS stream via a site such as aprs.fi or findu.com. The
              information you are interested in seeing is blocked from view.
              Occasionally you might get a glimpse at some of the desired data, but
              the APRS-IS is designed to block access to all but the first copy of a
              packet heard.

              Packets from your area are being heard directly by KC0U-1, which means
              that any subsequent digipeats would never get seen on the normal
              APRS-IS feed.

              However (isn't there always a however?), KC0U-1 is running
              APRSISCE/32, an application that sends an unfiltered stream back home
              to it's master as well as feeding the normal filtered stream to the
              APRS-IS. This unfiltered stream allows us a peek into the real APRS
              network operations.

              Here's a look at what KC0U-1 has seen over the last 24 hours:

              http://ldeffenb.dnsalias.net:3000/catchall?FormName=rfTRAFFIC&Action=Display&IGates=KC0U-1

              There's no legend, but if I recall properly, the numbers in the boxes
              decode as follows:

              3+10 means 3 packets originating from the station, and 10 packets
              digipeated by the station.

              I've been snooping looking for packets digipeated by your station, but
              the change in station callsign made my snooping void as I was looking
              for packets digipeated by KC0WNY... now I'm watching for packets
              digipeated by KC0WNY-1.

              Message 6 of 24 , Apr 24, 2013
                Well, snooping finally paid off...

                2013-04-25T00:39:56
                EMPRIA>APN382,KC0WNY-1*,qAR,KC0U-1:!3823.15NS09610.59W#PHG7560/W2,
                KSn, Emporia WX0U jbelford@...
                2013-04-25T01:09:52
                EMPRIA>APN382,KC0WNY-1*,qAR,KC0U-1:!3823.15NS09610.59W#PHG7560/W2,
                KSn, Emporia WX0U jbelford@...
                2013-04-25T01:39:54
                EMPRIA>APN382,KC0WNY-1*,qAR,KC0U-1:!3823.15NS09610.59W#PHG7560/W2,
                KSn, Emporia WX0U jbelford@...
                2013-04-25T02:07:07
                W0KCN-4>APU25N,LAW*,EMPRIA*,KC0WNY-1*,qAR,KC0U-1:=3922.25N/09446.81WoPlatte
                Co EOC rosmith1@... {UIV32}
                2013-04-25T02:09:52
                EMPRIA>APN382,KC0WNY-1*,qAR,KC0U-1:!3823.15NS09610.59W#PHG7560/W2,
                KSn, Emporia WX0U jbelford@...
                2013-04-25T02:39:53
                EMPRIA>APN382,KC0WNY-1*,qAR,KC0U-1:!3823.15NS09610.59W#PHG7560/W2,
                KSn, Emporia WX0U jbelford@...
                2013-04-25T02:45:50
                K0KU>BEACON,AUBURN*,WIDE1*,LAW*,EMPRIA*,KC0WNY-1*,qAR,KC0U-1:;146.76-KS*111111z3857.
                N/09515. WrT088 R30m Net Tu8pm
                2013-04-25T03:10:04
                EMPRIA>APN382,KC0WNY-1*,qAR,KC0U-1:!3823.15NS09610.59W#PHG7560/W2,
                KSn, Emporia WX0U jbelford@...

                You can hear the EMPRIA digipeater at least.

                Oh yeah, I forgot to give you yet another way to observe whether your
                station is digipeating. On the TM-D710 you can pull up a list of
                stations heard. Do so, and then go into the details for a station.
                Press the right arrow button to get to the last page of details, and
                then press the PATH button to see the first and last digipeater to
                handle the packet. You should be able to find your digipeater on that
                page for any station handled by your station. If you press the upper
                left button while on that page, you will see the digipeaters handling
                the last heard packet as they come in. You would be able to see your
                digipeater handling the packets from EMPRIA this way.

              • Teddy Banks

                  Message 8 of 24 , Apr 24, 2013
                    Should this work for any station or Digi? I put in K4RJJ-7 and see no
                    traffic.

                    Message 9 of 24 , Apr 25, 2013
                      On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 11:24 PM, Ronny Julian <k4rjjradio@...> wrote:

                      > Should this work for any station or Digi? I put in K4RJJ-7 and see no
                      > traffic.

                      It depends on what "this" is...

                      Are you talking about requesting a page from Lynn's server like this:

                      http://ldeffenb.dnsalias.net:3000/catchall?FormName=rfTRAFFIC&Action=Display&IGates=K4RJJ-7

                      You won't get any data for K4RJJ-7 because that appears to be a
                      Kantronics TNC running as a stand alone digipeater.

                      As per my description in the previous email:

                      > KC0U-1 is running
                      > APRSISCE/32, an application that sends an unfiltered stream back home
                      > to it's master as well as feeding the normal filtered stream to the
                      > APRS-IS. This unfiltered stream allows us a peek into the real APRS
                      > network operations.

                      Only stations running APRSISCE/32 will provide data to Lynn's server
                      from which he can build these detailed reports. Stations not reporting
                      information to Lynn will not be able to have reports generated.

                    • Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
                      Message 10 of 24 , Apr 25, 2013
                        On 4/25/2013 9:10 AM, James Ewen wrote:
                        > On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 11:24 PM, Ronny Julian <k4rjjradio@...> wrote:
                        >
                        >> Should this work for any station or Digi? I put in K4RJJ-7 and see no
                        >> traffic.
                        > It depends on what "this" is...
                        >
                        > Are you talking about requesting a page from Lynn's server like this:
                        >
                        > http://ldeffenb.dnsalias.net:3000/catchall?FormName=rfTRAFFIC&Action=Display&IGates=K4RJJ-7
                        >
                        > You won't get any data for K4RJJ-7 because that appears to be a
                        > Kantronics TNC running as a stand alone digipeater.

                        Not to mention, my RFTraffic form only has access to the non-filtered RF
                        feeds from APRSISCE/32 IGates, not the APRS-IS feed in general.