Re: [tracker2] Re: Digipeater

  • Keith VE7GDH
    Message 1 of 24 , Apr 23, 2013
      Teddy KC0WNY wrote...

      > I should also have said that nearest repeater, I estimate is
      > 40 to 50 miles from my location

      I assume you mean "digipeater" where you said "repeater".
      If that's the case, I would definitely reduce your own path
      down to a single hop WIDE2-1. The digi is either going
      to be heard direct (by a station - fixed or mobile) or by
      an IGate direct (it seems to be) or if it's heard by that distant
      digi 40-50 miles away, will get digipeated by it. The function
      of your digi is to assist mostly mobile stations... either helping
      them extend their range on RF or helping them get to an
      IGate. You seem to be consistently making it to an IGate
      direct, so your digi should definitely help out other stations.
      You really just need to determine if it is decoding other
      stations and verify the digipeater settings.

      73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
    • Teddy Banks
      Message 2 of 24 , Apr 23, 2013
        Thanks Keith, I appreciate  your advice, and input,  Path changed to 2-1, and will post some traffic it sees from Terterm Pro for evaluation
        On 4/23/2013 5:47 PM, Keith VE7GDH wrote:

        Teddy KC0WNY wrote...

        > I should also have said that nearest repeater, I estimate is
        > 40 to 50 miles from my location

        I assume you mean "digipeater" where you said "repeater".
        If that's the case, I would definitely reduce your own path
        down to a single hop WIDE2-1. The digi is either going
        to be heard direct (by a station - fixed or mobile) or by
        an IGate direct (it seems to be) or if it's heard by that distant
        digi 40-50 miles away, will get digipeated by it. The function
        of your digi is to assist mostly mobile stations... either helping
        them extend their range on RF or helping them get to an
        IGate. You seem to be consistently making it to an IGate
        direct, so your digi should definitely help out other stations.
        You really just need to determine if it is decoding other
        stations and verify the digipeater settings.

        73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH

        Ham Radio Operators  KCØWNY-KDØACN  Ted & Kay

        Message 3 of 24 , Apr 23, 2013
          On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 2:44 PM, tbanks204 <tbanks204@...> wrote:

          > how come when I look at the packets from the mobile KC0WNY-14, I never see
          > anything originating from KC0WNY from my Digipeater, only from other stations.

          If you look at packets from KC0WNY-14, you will never see packets
          originated from anywhere else.

          When you look at packets from KC0WNY-14, you are looking at packets
          that originate from that station. If you would like to see packets
          that originate from other origins, you would need to look at packets
          that originate from those other origins.

          http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&call=VE6SRV will show you packets that originate
          from my vehicle. You will not see packets that originate from any
          other station in that list because I have explicitly asked aprs.fi to
          show me only packets that originate from VE6SRV.

          If you would like to see packets that originate from KC0WNY, then you
          would simply ask aprs.fi to show you the same... here's a URL that
          will show you the packets that originated from KC0WNY:

          http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&call=KC0WNY&limit=50&view=normal

        • Teddy Banks
          Message 4 of 24 , Apr 23, 2013
            Thanks James, it starting to make a little more sense, and btw, if you happen to need a new railroad track built, I could do that :-)
            On 4/23/2013 7:43 PM, James Ewen wrote:

            On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 2:44 PM, tbanks204 <tbanks204@...> wrote:

            > how come when I look at the packets from the mobile KC0WNY-14, I never see
            > anything originating from KC0WNY from my Digipeater, only from other stations.

            If you look at packets from KC0WNY-14, you will never see packets
            originated from anywhere else.

            When you look at packets from KC0WNY-14, you are looking at packets
            that originate from that station. If you would like to see packets
            that originate from other origins, you would need to look at packets
            that originate from those other origins.

            http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&call=VE6SRV will show you packets that originate
            from my vehicle. You will not see packets that originate from any
            other station in that list because I have explicitly asked aprs.fi to
            show me only packets that originate from VE6SRV.

            If you would like to see packets that originate from KC0WNY, then you
            would simply ask aprs.fi to show you the same... here's a URL that
            will show you the packets that originated from KC0WNY:

            http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&call=KC0WNY&limit=50&view=normal

            Ham Radio Operators  KCØWNY-KDØACN  Ted & Kay

          • Ronny Julian
            Message 5 of 24 , Apr 23, 2013
              If you mouse over a station and select the info link upper right of the pop up window you will see a page that tells quite a bit about what is routing through a station or Digi.  I look at this on k4rjj-7 to make sure the thing still works as it is out in a remote location.

              Example

              Message 6 of 24 , Apr 24, 2013
                OK, the reasion for all the questions is, I am trying to learn how to find out if my home Station KC0WNY-1, (changed the ID) is doing what I think it should do, and that is, receive the packets sent from my mobile unit(s) one being my wife's Car, She is a ham also, with an ID of KC0WNY-14, when I looked at the raw data today, from both stations,  I can see the packets being picked up by a station ID of Walnut. The reasion I put up my station is because there is not much APRS Traffic in my local area, and I thought it would help for tracking purposes with my 2 mobile units. My antenna is about 30 ft high, and is a diamond 2 mtr ground plane,  I really enjoy this APRS Technology, but I am pretty thick headed,  I guess that about covers it. Thanks

                --
                Ham Radio Operators  KCØWNY-KDØACN  Ted & Kay

                Message 7 of 24 , Apr 24, 2013
                  On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 10:47 AM, Teddy Banks <tbanks204@...> wrote:

                  > OK, the reasion for all the questions is, I am trying to learn how to find
                  > out if my home Station KC0WNY-1, (changed the ID) is doing what I think it
                  > should do, and that is, receive the packets sent from my mobile unit(s) one
                  > being my wife's Car, She is a ham also, with an ID of KC0WNY-14, when I
                  > looked at the raw data today, from both stations, I can see the packets
                  > being picked up by a station ID of Walnut. The reasion I put up my station
                  > is because there is not much APRS Traffic in my local area, and I thought it
                  > would help for tracking purposes with my 2 mobile units. My antenna is about
                  > 30 ft high, and is a diamond 2 mtr ground plane, I really enjoy this APRS
                  > Technology, but I am pretty thick headed, I guess that about covers it.

                  Here's the tricky part about ham radio... you need to use ham radio to
                  monitor ham radio.

                  KC0WNY-14 looks to be a Kenwood TM-D710. That radio can be used for
                  APRS, and it looks like it is. The wonderful thing about the TM-D710
                  over other APRS devices like the TinyTrak and OpenTracker lines when
                  used as TX only devices is that the TM-D710 has a transceiver, TNC,
                  and display all built into one integrated package.

                  So, to figure out if your home station is acting as a digipeater, all
                  you need to do is to go out to your wife's car, and start up the
                  TM-D710. It should fire out a position packet as soon as the attached
                  GPS gets a position lock. The radio will transmit. If your home
                  station is configured properly, and responds to the path used by your
                  wife's car, you will see (on the display of the TM-D710) the words "MY
                  POSITION"which will pop up on the top of the display. You will also
                  see the S/RF meter indicate reception of a signal. The BUSY indicator
                  should also light up. If you have your volume up, and Voice Alert
                  disabled, you will hear a packet burst. If you have incoming packet
                  beeps enabled, you'll also hear a be-doop sound indicating reception
                  of a packet. You can also hit the P.MON button and watch the incoming
                  packets to see if you can see a packet being digipeated by your
                  station, but you need to be pretty quick to catch that flashing by,
                  especially with a GPS on the radio.

                  The radio gives all kinds of indications that it is receiving signals,
                  all you have to do is pay attention to what it is telling you. You've
                  indicated that the closest digipeater to you is 40 to 50 miles away
                  (other than your station). I see MATFLD at 57 km (about 35 miles), so
                  if you are seeing full scale signals of your digipeats, you can be
                  pretty sure that you are seeing digipeats from your station.

                  Another way you can figure out if your DR-135 and Tracker2 combination
                  are working as a digipeater is to sit next to those devices and
                  observe them. Turn up the volume on the DR-135, and watch the lights
                  on the Tracker2. You should be able to hear a packet being received,
                  and observe the RX light on the Tracker2. If the packet is asking for
                  a digipeat and the Tracker2 is configured to respond to that alias,
                  then the Tracker2 will light up it's TX light, and you should see the
                  DR-135 go into TX mode, and send the packet out again.

                  If you have an HT or other radio available, you can tune to 144.390
                  and listen to the activity. You should hear packets from other
                  stations (your wife), and then immediately after, a second
                  transmission, which should correspond with the TX lights as indicated
                  in the paragraph above.

                  So, there's all kinds of information available to let you know if your
                  station is working as desired.

                  Now, if you want to observe the APRS activity via the internet, be
                  prepared to be sorely disappointed because as we have posted
                  continually over the years, the APRS-IS is designed to block ALL but
                  the FIRST copy of a packet that is received. You will NEVER be able to
                  tell exactly what is happening on the APRS RF network when observing
                  the APRS-IS stream via a site such as aprs.fi or findu.com. The
                  information you are interested in seeing is blocked from view.
                  Occasionally you might get a glimpse at some of the desired data, but
                  the APRS-IS is designed to block access to all but the first copy of a
                  packet heard.

                  Packets from your area are being heard directly by KC0U-1, which means
                  that any subsequent digipeats would never get seen on the normal
                  APRS-IS feed.

                  However (isn't there always a however?), KC0U-1 is running
                  APRSISCE/32, an application that sends an unfiltered stream back home
                  to it's master as well as feeding the normal filtered stream to the
                  APRS-IS. This unfiltered stream allows us a peek into the real APRS
                  network operations.

                  Here's a look at what KC0U-1 has seen over the last 24 hours:

                  http://ldeffenb.dnsalias.net:3000/catchall?FormName=rfTRAFFIC&Action=Display&IGates=KC0U-1

                  There's no legend, but if I recall properly, the numbers in the boxes
                  decode as follows:

                  3+10 means 3 packets originating from the station, and 10 packets
                  digipeated by the station.

                  I've been snooping looking for packets digipeated by your station, but
                  the change in station callsign made my snooping void as I was looking
                  for packets digipeated by KC0WNY... now I'm watching for packets
                  digipeated by KC0WNY-1.

                  Message 8 of 24 , Apr 24, 2013
                    Well, snooping finally paid off...

                    2013-04-25T00:39:56
                    EMPRIA>APN382,KC0WNY-1*,qAR,KC0U-1:!3823.15NS09610.59W#PHG7560/W2,
                    KSn, Emporia WX0U jbelford@...
                    2013-04-25T01:09:52
                    EMPRIA>APN382,KC0WNY-1*,qAR,KC0U-1:!3823.15NS09610.59W#PHG7560/W2,
                    KSn, Emporia WX0U jbelford@...
                    2013-04-25T01:39:54
                    EMPRIA>APN382,KC0WNY-1*,qAR,KC0U-1:!3823.15NS09610.59W#PHG7560/W2,
                    KSn, Emporia WX0U jbelford@...
                    2013-04-25T02:07:07
                    W0KCN-4>APU25N,LAW*,EMPRIA*,KC0WNY-1*,qAR,KC0U-1:=3922.25N/09446.81WoPlatte
                    Co EOC rosmith1@... {UIV32}
                    2013-04-25T02:09:52
                    EMPRIA>APN382,KC0WNY-1*,qAR,KC0U-1:!3823.15NS09610.59W#PHG7560/W2,
                    KSn, Emporia WX0U jbelford@...
                    2013-04-25T02:39:53
                    EMPRIA>APN382,KC0WNY-1*,qAR,KC0U-1:!3823.15NS09610.59W#PHG7560/W2,
                    KSn, Emporia WX0U jbelford@...
                    2013-04-25T02:45:50
                    K0KU>BEACON,AUBURN*,WIDE1*,LAW*,EMPRIA*,KC0WNY-1*,qAR,KC0U-1:;146.76-KS*111111z3857.
                    N/09515. WrT088 R30m Net Tu8pm
                    2013-04-25T03:10:04
                    EMPRIA>APN382,KC0WNY-1*,qAR,KC0U-1:!3823.15NS09610.59W#PHG7560/W2,
                    KSn, Emporia WX0U jbelford@...

                    You can hear the EMPRIA digipeater at least.

                    Oh yeah, I forgot to give you yet another way to observe whether your
                    station is digipeating. On the TM-D710 you can pull up a list of
                    stations heard. Do so, and then go into the details for a station.
                    Press the right arrow button to get to the last page of details, and
                    then press the PATH button to see the first and last digipeater to
                    handle the packet. You should be able to find your digipeater on that
                    page for any station handled by your station. If you press the upper
                    left button while on that page, you will see the digipeaters handling
                    the last heard packet as they come in. You would be able to see your
                    digipeater handling the packets from EMPRIA this way.

                  • Teddy Banks

                      Message 10 of 24 , Apr 24, 2013
                        Should this work for any station or Digi? I put in K4RJJ-7 and see no
                        traffic.

                        Message 11 of 24 , Apr 25, 2013
                          On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 11:24 PM, Ronny Julian <k4rjjradio@...> wrote:

                          > Should this work for any station or Digi? I put in K4RJJ-7 and see no
                          > traffic.

                          It depends on what "this" is...

                          Are you talking about requesting a page from Lynn's server like this:

                          http://ldeffenb.dnsalias.net:3000/catchall?FormName=rfTRAFFIC&Action=Display&IGates=K4RJJ-7

                          You won't get any data for K4RJJ-7 because that appears to be a
                          Kantronics TNC running as a stand alone digipeater.

                          As per my description in the previous email:

                          > KC0U-1 is running
                          > APRSISCE/32, an application that sends an unfiltered stream back home
                          > to it's master as well as feeding the normal filtered stream to the
                          > APRS-IS. This unfiltered stream allows us a peek into the real APRS
                          > network operations.

                          Only stations running APRSISCE/32 will provide data to Lynn's server
                          from which he can build these detailed reports. Stations not reporting
                          information to Lynn will not be able to have reports generated.

                        • Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
                          Message 12 of 24 , Apr 25, 2013
                            On 4/25/2013 9:10 AM, James Ewen wrote:
                            > On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 11:24 PM, Ronny Julian <k4rjjradio@...> wrote:
                            >
                            >> Should this work for any station or Digi? I put in K4RJJ-7 and see no
                            >> traffic.
                            > It depends on what "this" is...
                            >
                            > Are you talking about requesting a page from Lynn's server like this:
                            >
                            > http://ldeffenb.dnsalias.net:3000/catchall?FormName=rfTRAFFIC&Action=Display&IGates=K4RJJ-7
                            >
                            > You won't get any data for K4RJJ-7 because that appears to be a
                            > Kantronics TNC running as a stand alone digipeater.

                            Not to mention, my RFTraffic form only has access to the non-filtered RF
                            feeds from APRSISCE/32 IGates, not the APRS-IS feed in general.