Re: [tracker2] Re: Garmin GPS's for use with OT-USB

  • Jacob Tennant
    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 16, 2013

      So the BR-355 unit can be powered from the OT device?

      On Apr 16, 2013 7:24 AM, "captnkliegle" <kliegle@...> wrote:

      Since the ADS-GM1 hasn't been available for months, I've been buying the $32 BR-355 units. They're getting harder to find now that word is out. lol

      Warm boot is much faster than the ADS-GM1, within seconds or less!

      No capacitor installed across the DC power line, no issues in any of the installations.

      KA1GJU

      Message 2 of 21 , Apr 16, 2013
        Where have you been buying yours? I might need to pick up some of those
        as well for evaluation.

        Scott

        On 4/16/2013 4:24 AM, captnkliegle wrote:

        > Since the ADS-GM1 hasn't been available for months, I've been buying the
        > $32 BR-355 units. They're getting harder to find now that word is out. lol
        >
        > Warm boot is much faster than the ADS-GM1, within seconds or less!
        >
        > No capacitor installed across the DC power line, no issues in any of the
        > installations.
        >
        > KA1GJU

      • Randy Love
        Message 3 of 21 , Apr 16, 2013
          Yes, the USGlobalsat BR-355 ( *non-USB* ) version work great. I have several that we use on trackers for various events. Chop off their PS-2 interface plug and tack on the DE-9! They are powered from OT+ or OT-USB's and work fabulous just sitting on the dash of the pick up trucks that are used for SAG's in MS-150 bike events.

          Randy
          WF5X

          On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 10:07 AM, Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:
          Where have you been buying yours?  I might need to pick up some of those
          as well for evaluation.

          Scott

          On 4/16/2013 4:24 AM, captnkliegle wrote:

          > Since the ADS-GM1 hasn't been available for months, I've been buying the
          > $32 BR-355 units. They're getting harder to find now that word is out. lol
          >
          > Warm boot is much faster than the ADS-GM1, within seconds or less!
          >
          > No capacitor installed across the DC power line, no issues in any of the
          > installations.
          >
          > KA1GJU

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
              tracker2-digest@yahoogroups.com
              tracker2-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Jacob Tennant
          Message 4 of 21 , Apr 16, 2013

            I got mine from Amazon.com for $40.00 & free shipping.

            Jacob Tennant WF8S

            On Apr 16, 2013 10:07 AM, "Scott Miller" <scott@...> wrote:
            Where have you been buying yours?  I might need to pick up some of those
            as well for evaluation.

            Scott

            On 4/16/2013 4:24 AM, captnkliegle wrote:

            > Since the ADS-GM1 hasn't been available for months, I've been buying the
            > $32 BR-355 units. They're getting harder to find now that word is out. lol
            >
            > Warm boot is much faster than the ADS-GM1, within seconds or less!
            >
            > No capacitor installed across the DC power line, no issues in any of the
            > installations.
            >
            > KA1GJU

            <*> Your email settings:
                Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
                (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
                tracker2-digest@yahoogroups.com
                tracker2-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • ka4vmp
            Message 5 of 21 , Apr 16, 2013
              I found the following website that has the BR-355 in stock for $34.95.
              http://www.semsons.com/glbrmogpsref.html
              And if your order is over $20.00 you enter the displayed code on their home page and get free ground shipping.

              Ed Taylor, ka4vmp

              Message 6 of 21 , Apr 16, 2013
                Great. I'll see about getting one of those as well to compare
                side-by-side. It'll also depend on what we can get made with our
                connectors. We'll be replacing connectors by hand on the first batch,
                but it's not really cost-effective.

                I'm curious if any of these models that list USB and RS-232 have both
                present in the cable...

                Scott

                On 4/16/2013 6:56 PM, ka4vmp wrote:
                > I found the following website that has the BR-355 in stock for $34.95.
                > http://www.semsons.com/glbrmogpsref.html
                > And if your order is over $20.00 you enter the displayed code on their
                > home page and get free ground shipping.
                >
                > Ed Taylor, ka4vmp

                > Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Where have you been buying yours? I might need to pick up some of those
                > > as well for evaluation.
                > >
                > > Scott
                > >
                > > On 4/16/2013 4:24 AM, captnkliegle wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Since the ADS-GM1 hasn't been available for months, I've been
                > buying the
                > > > $32 BR-355 units. They're getting harder to find now that word is
                > out. lol
                > > >
                > > > Warm boot is much faster than the ADS-GM1, within seconds or less!
                > > >
                > > > No capacitor installed across the DC power line, no issues in any
                > of the
                > > > installations.
                > > >
                > > > KA1GJU

              • Rolf Marthin Nilsen
                Message 7 of 21 , Apr 16, 2013
                  DX.COM sells the BR-355 for 34.95 as well. free shipping...

                  Bulk prices with 10+ units is USD$ 33.05 shipped....

                  LA2KLA

                  > I found the following website that has the BR-355 in stock for $34.95.
                  > http://www.semsons.com/glbrmogpsref.html
                  > And if your order is over $20.00 you enter the displayed code on their
                  > home page and get free ground shipping.
                  >
                  > Ed Taylor, ka4vmp

                  > Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Where have you been buying yours? I might need to pick up some of those
                  > > as well for evaluation.
                  > >
                  > > Scott
                • Ronny Julian
                  Message 8 of 21 , Apr 17, 2013
                    If you order "no cable" is there just a set of pads to solder to or is there a pigtail?  Just curious.
                    Ronny
                    K4RJJ

                    On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 9:56 PM, ka4vmp <ka4vmp@...> wrote:

                    I found the following website that has the BR-355 in stock for $34.95.
                    http://www.semsons.com/glbrmogpsref.html
                    And if your order is over $20.00 you enter the displayed code on their home page and get free ground shipping.

                    Ed Taylor, ka4vmp

                    > Where have you been buying yours? I might need to pick up some of those
                    > as well for evaluation.
                    >
                    > Scott
                    >
                    > On 4/16/2013 4:24 AM, captnkliegle wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Since the ADS-GM1 hasn't been available for months, I've been buying the
                    > > $32 BR-355 units. They're getting harder to find now that word is out. lol
                    > >
                    > > Warm boot is much faster than the ADS-GM1, within seconds or less!
                    > >
                    > > No capacitor installed across the DC power line, no issues in any of the
                    > > installations.
                    > >
                    > > KA1GJU

                  • Suryono Adisoemarta
                    Message 9 of 21 , Apr 17, 2013
                      It comes with a PS2 connector that you need to cut, then solder a DE9 connector on the cable.

                      73 de Paulus - N5SNN / YD0NXX

                      Sent from my iPhone4