Re: [tracker2] Garmin GPS's for use with OT-USB

  • Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 15, 2013
      On 4/15/2013 10:44 AM, Jacob Tennant wrote:
      PS: Any word on any of the GPS units you used to sell with the OT-USB? Any available from anywhere?  Was hoping to make my install a "Set it and Forget it" type like the Ronco Cooker ad says.

      I've had good luck with the BR-355 modules.  They're native NMEA RS-232.  You just have to cut off the connector it comes with and wire your own 5v supply and DE9 as shown in one of the links below.

      http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/7457

      http://tinyurl.com/bqz7s6f - Flickr album

      http://tinyurl.com/cpv4hg6 - Closeup of wiring

      http://tinyurl.com/c27usvy - e-Bay search

      I've not included the pictured capacitor in any of my uses and have seen no ill effects.  YMMV

      PS.  Make sure you get the BR-355 and not the similar model number that's USB!

      Message 2 of 21 , Apr 15, 2013
        I was looking at those today, but wound up ordering a small batch of
        another type. They should be here in a few days.

        Scott

        On 4/15/2013 11:27 AM, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:
        > On 4/15/2013 10:44 AM, Jacob Tennant wrote:
        >> PS: Any word on any of the GPS units you used to sell with the OT-USB?
        >> Any available from anywhere? Was hoping to make my install a "Set it
        >> and Forget it" type like the Ronco Cooker ad says.
        >
        > I've had good luck with the BR-355 modules. They're native NMEA
        > RS-232. You just have to cut off the connector it comes with and wire
        > your own 5v supply and DE9 as shown in one of the links below.
        >
        > http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/7457
        >
        > http://tinyurl.com/bqz7s6f - Flickr album
        >
        > http://tinyurl.com/cpv4hg6 - Closeup of wiring
        >
        > http://tinyurl.com/c27usvy - e-Bay search
        >
        > I've not included the pictured capacitor in any of my uses and have seen
        > no ill effects. YMMV

        > PS. Make sure you get the BR-355 and not the similar model number
        > that's USB!

      • captnkliegle
        Message 3 of 21 , Apr 16, 2013
          Since the ADS-GM1 hasn't been available for months, I've been buying the $32 BR-355 units. They're getting harder to find now that word is out. lol

          Warm boot is much faster than the ADS-GM1, within seconds or less!

          No capacitor installed across the DC power line, no issues in any of the installations.

          KA1GJU
        • Jacob Tennant

            Message 5 of 21 , Apr 16, 2013
              Where have you been buying yours? I might need to pick up some of those
              as well for evaluation.

              Scott

              On 4/16/2013 4:24 AM, captnkliegle wrote:

              > Since the ADS-GM1 hasn't been available for months, I've been buying the
              > $32 BR-355 units. They're getting harder to find now that word is out. lol
              >
              > Warm boot is much faster than the ADS-GM1, within seconds or less!
              >
              > No capacitor installed across the DC power line, no issues in any of the
              > installations.
              >
              > KA1GJU

            • Randy Love
              Message 6 of 21 , Apr 16, 2013
                Yes, the USGlobalsat BR-355 ( *non-USB* ) version work great. I have several that we use on trackers for various events. Chop off their PS-2 interface plug and tack on the DE-9! They are powered from OT+ or OT-USB's and work fabulous just sitting on the dash of the pick up trucks that are used for SAG's in MS-150 bike events.

                Randy
                WF5X

                On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 10:07 AM, Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:
                Where have you been buying yours?  I might need to pick up some of those
                as well for evaluation.

                Scott

                On 4/16/2013 4:24 AM, captnkliegle wrote:

                > Since the ADS-GM1 hasn't been available for months, I've been buying the
                > $32 BR-355 units. They're getting harder to find now that word is out. lol
                >
                > Warm boot is much faster than the ADS-GM1, within seconds or less!
                >
                > No capacitor installed across the DC power line, no issues in any of the
                > installations.
                >
                > KA1GJU

                <*> Your email settings:
                    Individual Email | Traditional

                <*> To change settings online go to:
                    (Yahoo! ID required)

                <*> To change settings via email:
                    tracker2-digest@yahoogroups.com
                    tracker2-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              • Jacob Tennant
                Message 7 of 21 , Apr 16, 2013

                  I got mine from Amazon.com for $40.00 & free shipping.

                  Jacob Tennant WF8S

                  On Apr 16, 2013 10:07 AM, "Scott Miller" <scott@...> wrote:
                  Where have you been buying yours?  I might need to pick up some of those
                  as well for evaluation.

                  Scott

                  On 4/16/2013 4:24 AM, captnkliegle wrote:

                  > Since the ADS-GM1 hasn't been available for months, I've been buying the
                  > $32 BR-355 units. They're getting harder to find now that word is out. lol
                  >
                  > Warm boot is much faster than the ADS-GM1, within seconds or less!
                  >
                  > No capacitor installed across the DC power line, no issues in any of the
                  > installations.
                  >
                  > KA1GJU

                  <*> Your email settings:
                      Individual Email | Traditional

                  <*> To change settings online go to:
                      (Yahoo! ID required)

                  <*> To change settings via email:
                      tracker2-digest@yahoogroups.com
                      tracker2-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                • ka4vmp
                  Message 8 of 21 , Apr 16, 2013
                    I found the following website that has the BR-355 in stock for $34.95.
                    http://www.semsons.com/glbrmogpsref.html
                    And if your order is over $20.00 you enter the displayed code on their home page and get free ground shipping.

                    Ed Taylor, ka4vmp

                    Message 9 of 21 , Apr 16, 2013
                      Great. I'll see about getting one of those as well to compare
                      side-by-side. It'll also depend on what we can get made with our
                      connectors. We'll be replacing connectors by hand on the first batch,
                      but it's not really cost-effective.

                      I'm curious if any of these models that list USB and RS-232 have both
                      present in the cable...

                      Scott

                      On 4/16/2013 6:56 PM, ka4vmp wrote:
                      > I found the following website that has the BR-355 in stock for $34.95.
                      > http://www.semsons.com/glbrmogpsref.html
                      > And if your order is over $20.00 you enter the displayed code on their
                      > home page and get free ground shipping.
                      >
                      > Ed Taylor, ka4vmp

                      > Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Where have you been buying yours? I might need to pick up some of those
                      > > as well for evaluation.
                      > >
                      > > Scott
                      > >
                      > > On 4/16/2013 4:24 AM, captnkliegle wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > Since the ADS-GM1 hasn't been available for months, I've been
                      > buying the
                      > > > $32 BR-355 units. They're getting harder to find now that word is
                      > out. lol
                      > > >
                      > > > Warm boot is much faster than the ADS-GM1, within seconds or less!
                      > > >
                      > > > No capacitor installed across the DC power line, no issues in any
                      > of the
                      > > > installations.
                      > > >
                      > > > KA1GJU

                    • Rolf Marthin Nilsen
                      Message 10 of 21 , Apr 16, 2013
                        DX.COM sells the BR-355 for 34.95 as well. free shipping...

                        Bulk prices with 10+ units is USD$ 33.05 shipped....

                        LA2KLA

                        > I found the following website that has the BR-355 in stock for $34.95.
                        > http://www.semsons.com/glbrmogpsref.html
                        > And if your order is over $20.00 you enter the displayed code on their
                        > home page and get free ground shipping.
                        >
                        > Ed Taylor, ka4vmp

                        > Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Where have you been buying yours? I might need to pick up some of those
                        > > as well for evaluation.
                        > >
                        > > Scott
                      • Ronny Julian
                        Message 11 of 21 , Apr 17, 2013
                          If you order "no cable" is there just a set of pads to solder to or is there a pigtail?  Just curious.
                          Ronny
                          K4RJJ

                          On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 9:56 PM, ka4vmp <ka4vmp@...> wrote:

                          I found the following website that has the BR-355 in stock for $34.95.
                          http://www.semsons.com/glbrmogpsref.html
                          And if your order is over $20.00 you enter the displayed code on their home page and get free ground shipping.

                          Ed Taylor, ka4vmp

                          > Where have you been buying yours? I might need to pick up some of those
                          > as well for evaluation.
                          >
                          > Scott
                          >
                          > On 4/16/2013 4:24 AM, captnkliegle wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Since the ADS-GM1 hasn't been available for months, I've been buying the
                          > > $32 BR-355 units. They're getting harder to find now that word is out. lol
                          > >
                          > > Warm boot is much faster than the ADS-GM1, within seconds or less!
                          > >
                          > > No capacitor installed across the DC power line, no issues in any of the
                          > > installations.
                          > >
                          > > KA1GJU

                        • Suryono Adisoemarta
                          Message 12 of 21 , Apr 17, 2013
                            It comes with a PS2 connector that you need to cut, then solder a DE9 connector on the cable.

                            73 de Paulus - N5SNN / YD0NXX

                            Sent from my iPhone4