Garmin GPS's for use with OT-USB

  • jakewf8s
    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 14, 2013
      What all Garmin GPS models work with the OT2-USB through the fleet tracking cable system?

      I am in need of a new dash-based GPS in my car and might as well get one that can cover both the APRS display and normal GPS duties.

      Would really like to have a 5" screen if possible.

      Jacob Tennant
    • Wb5ugc
      Message 2 of 21 , Apr 14, 2013
        OU give model numbers my nuvi 350 died and need to find a replacement.

        Larry Bowman
        WB5UGC

        Sent from my iP

        Message 3 of 21 , Apr 14, 2013
          Which tracker are you talking about? The Tracker2 and Tracker3 series
          support (to some degree) anything with FMI support. The OpenTracker USB
          doesn't support FMI.

          Scott

          On 4/14/2013 4:36 PM, jakewf8s wrote:
          > What all Garmin GPS models work with the OT2-USB through the fleet
          > tracking cable system?
          >
          > I am in need of a new dash-based GPS in my car and might as well get one
          > that can cover both the APRS display and normal GPS duties.
          >
          > Would really like to have a 5" screen if possible.
          >
          > Jacob Tennant

        • Jacob Tennant
          Message 4 of 21 , Apr 15, 2013
            I have the OT2 with USB port that I just bought about 2 weeks ago. I was hoping to get a Fleet Management capable Garmin GPS for my vehicle and plug it into the tracker via the serial port for the GPS so as to eliminate so many cables in my car.

            I had thought the FMI cable would connect to the OT2 with a USB port, but not into the USB port, as the USB port is where my laptop will be connected when needed.

            Jacob Tennant

            On Sun, Apr 14, 2013 at 11:06 PM, Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:
            Which tracker are you talking about?  The Tracker2 and Tracker3 series
            support (to some degree) anything with FMI support.  The OpenTracker USB
            doesn't support FMI.

            Scott

            On 4/14/2013 4:36 PM, jakewf8s wrote:
            > What all Garmin GPS models work with the OT2-USB through the fleet
            > tracking cable system?
            >
            > I am in need of a new dash-based GPS in my car and might as well get one
            > that can cover both the APRS display and normal GPS duties.
            >
            > Would really like to have a 5" screen if possible.
            >
            > Jacob Tennant

            <*> Your email settings:
                Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
                (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
                tracker2-digest@yahoogroups.com
                tracker2-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
            Message 5 of 21 , Apr 15, 2013
              http://wiki.argentdata.com/index.php?title=Garmin_FMI

              However, I'm running a 1490 with a T3-135 and it DOES display waypoints,
              no breadcrumbs, but you have to manually force a map update (bounce to
              menu and back to map) to see updated positions, no dynamic refresh.
              Messaging "just works" on my 1490 and 350s.

              T3-135/1490 as KJ4OVQ-9
              T2-135/350 as KJ4ERJ-9
              GTRANS/350/D700 as KJ4ERJ-11

              On 4/14/2013 7:36 PM, jakewf8s wrote:
              > What all Garmin GPS models work with the OT2-USB through the fleet tracking cable system?
              >
              > I am in need of a new dash-based GPS in my car and might as well get one that can cover both the APRS display and normal GPS duties.
              >
              > Would really like to have a 5" screen if possible.
              >
              > Jacob Tennant

            • Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
              Message 6 of 21 , Apr 15, 2013
                The FMI port and the PC port are one and the same on the Garmin Nuvi units.  You can use it for one or the other sequentially, but not both simultaneously.

                PS.  I'm a little confused by your ".. connect...with a USB port, but not into the USB port, as the USB port..."  Huh?  How many USB "holes" do  you see on your FMI-capable Garmin?  And which one is it?  Details are helpful.  (Hint: the Nuvi 350 has 2, but the one on the mount is just for power).

                Message 7 of 21 , Apr 15, 2013
                  Now I understad as after reading ALL of the information on the OT-USB page that the Garmin Binary format is not supported in the OT-USB so no Fleet Management capability...

                  DARN!!!

                  Thanks anyway. . .

                  PS: Any word on any of the GPS units you used to sell with the OT-USB? Any available from anywhere?  Was hoping to make my install a "Set it and Forget it" type like the Ronco Cooker ad says.

                  Message 8 of 21 , Apr 15, 2013
                    Sounds like maybe you have a Tracker3. Is it a black metal box with a
                    green terminal block on the front?

                    The newer units I've tested, like the 1200/1300/1400 series, don't
                    update waypoints on the map automatically, or at least not quickly.
                    Garmin says they've got some new features coming on the 2xx5 series that
                    should help, but I can't make any promises there.

                    Scott

                    Message 9 of 21 , Apr 15, 2013
                      > PS: Any word on any of the GPS units you used to sell with the OT-USB?
                      > Any available from anywhere? Was hoping to make my install a "Set it
                      > and Forget it" type like the Ronco Cooker ad says.

                      The GPS engine manufacturer discontinued the SiRFStar III boards and the
                      factory building the modules seems to be getting out of the serial GPS
                      business. We've had to switch before so it's not the end of the world,
                      but it's taking longer than I'd hope to find a new source. The best
                      candidate right now wants more money for equivalent modules and they
                      want a higher minimum order to add our DB9 connectors and silkscreen.

                      We should have a small batch of those on the way soon and we'll just
                      install the connectors here and ship them without silkscreen. I'd
                      really like to find a better option to replace the GM1. If we're going
                      to be paying more for them, I'd like to have something that's really
                      clearly better.

                      Scott
                    • Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
                      Message 10 of 21 , Apr 15, 2013
                        On 4/15/2013 10:44 AM, Jacob Tennant wrote:
                        PS: Any word on any of the GPS units you used to sell with the OT-USB? Any available from anywhere?  Was hoping to make my install a "Set it and Forget it" type like the Ronco Cooker ad says.

                        I've had good luck with the BR-355 modules.  They're native NMEA RS-232.  You just have to cut off the connector it comes with and wire your own 5v supply and DE9 as shown in one of the links below.

                        http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/7457

                        http://tinyurl.com/bqz7s6f - Flickr album

                        http://tinyurl.com/cpv4hg6 - Closeup of wiring

                        http://tinyurl.com/c27usvy - e-Bay search

                        I've not included the pictured capacitor in any of my uses and have seen no ill effects.  YMMV

                        PS.  Make sure you get the BR-355 and not the similar model number that's USB!

                        Message 11 of 21 , Apr 15, 2013
                          I was looking at those today, but wound up ordering a small batch of
                          another type. They should be here in a few days.

                          Scott

                          On 4/15/2013 11:27 AM, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:
                          > On 4/15/2013 10:44 AM, Jacob Tennant wrote:
                          >> PS: Any word on any of the GPS units you used to sell with the OT-USB?
                          >> Any available from anywhere? Was hoping to make my install a "Set it
                          >> and Forget it" type like the Ronco Cooker ad says.
                          >
                          > I've had good luck with the BR-355 modules. They're native NMEA
                          > RS-232. You just have to cut off the connector it comes with and wire
                          > your own 5v supply and DE9 as shown in one of the links below.
                          >
                          > http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/7457
                          >
                          > http://tinyurl.com/bqz7s6f - Flickr album
                          >
                          > http://tinyurl.com/cpv4hg6 - Closeup of wiring
                          >
                          > http://tinyurl.com/c27usvy - e-Bay search
                          >
                          > I've not included the pictured capacitor in any of my uses and have seen
                          > no ill effects. YMMV

                          > PS. Make sure you get the BR-355 and not the similar model number
                          > that's USB!

                        • captnkliegle
                          Message 12 of 21 , Apr 16, 2013
                            Since the ADS-GM1 hasn't been available for months, I've been buying the $32 BR-355 units. They're getting harder to find now that word is out. lol

                            Warm boot is much faster than the ADS-GM1, within seconds or less!

                            No capacitor installed across the DC power line, no issues in any of the installations.

                            KA1GJU
                          • Jacob Tennant

                              Message 14 of 21 , Apr 16, 2013
                                Where have you been buying yours? I might need to pick up some of those
                                as well for evaluation.

                                Scott

                                On 4/16/2013 4:24 AM, captnkliegle wrote:

                                > Since the ADS-GM1 hasn't been available for months, I've been buying the
                                > $32 BR-355 units. They're getting harder to find now that word is out. lol
                                >
                                > Warm boot is much faster than the ADS-GM1, within seconds or less!
                                >
                                > No capacitor installed across the DC power line, no issues in any of the
                                > installations.
                                >
                                > KA1GJU

                              • Randy Love
                                Message 15 of 21 , Apr 16, 2013
                                  Yes, the USGlobalsat BR-355 ( *non-USB* ) version work great. I have several that we use on trackers for various events. Chop off their PS-2 interface plug and tack on the DE-9! They are powered from OT+ or OT-USB's and work fabulous just sitting on the dash of the pick up trucks that are used for SAG's in MS-150 bike events.

                                  Randy
                                  WF5X

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Apr 16, 2013

                                    I got mine from Amazon.com for $40.00 & free shipping.

                                    Jacob Tennant WF8S

                                    On Apr 16, 2013 10:07 AM, "Scott Miller" <scott@...> wrote:
                                    Where have you been buying yours?  I might need to pick up some of those
                                    as well for evaluation.

                                    Scott

                                    On 4/16/2013 4:24 AM, captnkliegle wrote:

                                    > Since the ADS-GM1 hasn't been available for months, I've been buying the
                                    > $32 BR-355 units. They're getting harder to find now that word is out. lol
                                    >
                                    > Warm boot is much faster than the ADS-GM1, within seconds or less!
                                    >
                                    > No capacitor installed across the DC power line, no issues in any of the
                                    > installations.
                                    >
                                    > KA1GJU

                                    <*> Your email settings:
                                        Individual Email | Traditional

                                    <*> To change settings online go to:
                                        (Yahoo! ID required)

                                    <*> To change settings via email:
                                        tracker2-digest@yahoogroups.com
                                        tracker2-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                                        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                                  • ka4vmp
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Apr 16, 2013
                                      I found the following website that has the BR-355 in stock for $34.95.
                                      http://www.semsons.com/glbrmogpsref.html
                                      And if your order is over $20.00 you enter the displayed code on their home page and get free ground shipping.

                                      Ed Taylor, ka4vmp

                                      Message 18 of 21 , Apr 16, 2013
                                        Great. I'll see about getting one of those as well to compare
                                        side-by-side. It'll also depend on what we can get made with our
                                        connectors. We'll be replacing connectors by hand on the first batch,
                                        but it's not really cost-effective.

                                        I'm curious if any of these models that list USB and RS-232 have both
                                        present in the cable...

                                        Scott

                                        On 4/16/2013 6:56 PM, ka4vmp wrote:
                                        > I found the following website that has the BR-355 in stock for $34.95.
                                        > http://www.semsons.com/glbrmogpsref.html
                                        > And if your order is over $20.00 you enter the displayed code on their
                                        > home page and get free ground shipping.
                                        >
                                        > Ed Taylor, ka4vmp

                                        > Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:
                                        > >
                                        > > Where have you been buying yours? I might need to pick up some of those
                                        > > as well for evaluation.
                                        > >
                                        > > Scott
                                        > >
                                        > > On 4/16/2013 4:24 AM, captnkliegle wrote:
                                        > > >
                                        > > > Since the ADS-GM1 hasn't been available for months, I've been
                                        > buying the
                                        > > > $32 BR-355 units. They're getting harder to find now that word is
                                        > out. lol
                                        > > >
                                        > > > Warm boot is much faster than the ADS-GM1, within seconds or less!
                                        > > >
                                        > > > No capacitor installed across the DC power line, no issues in any
                                        > of the
                                        > > > installations.
                                        > > >
                                        > > > KA1GJU

                                      • Rolf Marthin Nilsen
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Apr 16, 2013
                                          DX.COM sells the BR-355 for 34.95 as well. free shipping...

                                          Bulk prices with 10+ units is USD$ 33.05 shipped....

                                          LA2KLA

                                          > I found the following website that has the BR-355 in stock for $34.95.
                                          > http://www.semsons.com/glbrmogpsref.html
                                          > And if your order is over $20.00 you enter the displayed code on their
                                          > home page and get free ground shipping.
                                          >
                                          > Ed Taylor, ka4vmp

                                          > Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:
                                          > >
                                          > > Where have you been buying yours? I might need to pick up some of those
                                          > > as well for evaluation.
                                          > >
                                          > > Scott
                                        • Ronny Julian
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Apr 17, 2013
                                            If you order "no cable" is there just a set of pads to solder to or is there a pigtail?  Just curious.
                                            Ronny
                                            K4RJJ

                                            On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 9:56 PM, ka4vmp <ka4vmp@...> wrote:

                                            I found the following website that has the BR-355 in stock for $34.95.
                                            http://www.semsons.com/glbrmogpsref.html
                                            And if your order is over $20.00 you enter the displayed code on their home page and get free ground shipping.

                                            Ed Taylor, ka4vmp

                                            > Where have you been buying yours? I might need to pick up some of those
                                            > as well for evaluation.
                                            >
                                            > Scott
                                            >
                                            > On 4/16/2013 4:24 AM, captnkliegle wrote:
                                            > >
                                            > > Since the ADS-GM1 hasn't been available for months, I've been buying the
                                            > > $32 BR-355 units. They're getting harder to find now that word is out. lol
                                            > >
                                            > > Warm boot is much faster than the ADS-GM1, within seconds or less!
                                            > >
                                            > > No capacitor installed across the DC power line, no issues in any of the
                                            > > installations.
                                            > >
                                            > > KA1GJU

                                          • Suryono Adisoemarta
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Apr 17, 2013
                                              It comes with a PS2 connector that you need to cut, then solder a DE9 connector on the cable.

                                              73 de Paulus - N5SNN / YD0NXX

                                              Sent from my iPhone4