T3-135 success!

  • w9bu_lists
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 4, 2013
      Well, it works!

      I ordered a T3-135 from Argent Data's store last Friday and it arrived yesterday. I installed it in an Alinco DR-135T MkIII that I had left over from a previous T2-135 installation. I'm not real crazy about the installation using the supplied mini-USB to USB cable. I don't think it's long enough to attach the board to the VCO can and get the USB cable routed out past external speaker connector as described in the manual. I just have the radio sitting on the bench with cover off until I figure this out.

      I installed the USB driver as explained in the manual on a Lenovo X230i computer running Win7 Pro 64-bit. It came up on COM9 (I use this computer with a 4-port RS-232-to-USB adapter so several COM ports are already spoken for). I tried connecting with a new copy of OTWINCFG that I downloaded from Argent's web site last night. For some reason, it wouldn't connect. I bailed out of that and fired up TeraTerm, told it to connect to COM9, and it connected. With the radio connected to a roll-up J-pole antenna, I was soon seeing received packets scrolling down my screen. I reassigned the Open Tracker USB driver to COM10 and tried again with OTWINCFG, but still no dice though TeraTerm would connect. So, I decided to reboot the computer. That did the trick as OTWINCFG would now connect with the T3 using COM10. At that point, I decided to set the project aside for the evening.

      This evening, I put the proper connectors on a Garmin FMI 15 cable that I purchased (sorry, Scott, I found another source that had them in stock, though without connectors pre-installed). One thing about this had me confused. The bag that the FMI cable came in says that the white wire is data to GPS and should be connected to pin 3 while the yellow wire is data from the GPS and should be connected to pin 2. I compared this to the pin-outs shown in the T3 manual which has these pins reversed, i.e. data from tracker to GPS is on pin 2 and data to tracker from GPS is on pin 3. I sided with Scott and wired the connector as shown in the T3 manual.

      I connected the FMI 15 cable to the T3, to power, and to my Garmin nuvi 1450LM. I launched OTWINCFG to set Port A to Garmin and set up my callsign and beaconing parameters. After the Garmin booted up, I started getting a flashing green LED on the T3 board and started sending beacons. Cool! I went into the message menu on the Garmin and sent "--version". Sure enough, I got a reply.

      After letting the T3 run for a while, I looked through the waypoints list and found several received APRS reports. The only thing I don't like about that is the lack of detail in the waypoints.

      So, I'm fairly happy with this set-up for the short time I've used it. I will have to play with it some more, but it looks promising.

      Bob...
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 4, 2013
        The pinout is backwards on the 135 because I stuck with what Alinco had
        already done on their EJ-41U - which makes it the reverse of every other
        tracker we sell.

        Scott

      • Bob Burns W9BU
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 14, 2013
          At 08:58 PM 4/4/2013, w9bu_lists wrote:

          >I'm not real crazy about the installation using the supplied
          >mini-USB to USB cable. I don't think it's long enough to attach the
          >board to the VCO can and get the USB cable routed out past external
          >speaker connector as described in the manual.

          Follow-up...I bought a cable from NewEgg that has a right angle
          mini-USB on one end and a straight USB-A connector on the other end.
          The cable is 3 feet long so I'll be able to run the cable out of the
          DR-135 case and plug directly into a computer or a USB extension cable.

          The cable made by StarTech and the part number is USB2HABM3RA. Price was $4.99.

          When I get the T3 installed with its velcro pads, I'll take a photo.

          Bob...