Re: GPS data pass through OT to serial?

  • marcel
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 1, 2013
      For this project I'm using an OT3 with a Garmin GPS18 puck and Argent splitter cable. From the reading I've done I understand I can't get a $GPGLL stream out of the NUVI 350 setup I'm currently using in my van, so I can change out the GPS receiver and put the 350 in my car instead.

      > Which tracker do you have? I'm planning to add that to the OTUSB and
      > T3, but I'm not sure there will be room on the T2 or older units.
      >
      > Scott
      >
      > On 3/29/2013 5:07 PM, marcel wrote:
      > > I'm setting up my GIS software to work as a mobile asset tracker. I have
      > > the Open Tracker sending NMEA data to the serial port (port B, with GPS
      > > on Port A) and that plots just the way it should. Now I'd like to have
      > > the software centre on its current position and record a tack log. To do
      > > that I need to have a stream of position data passed through the OT to
      > > the serial port.
      > >
      > > I'm not sure that the OT can even do this, so some advice would be
      > > appreciated. If it's not possible, then I'll request the GIS developer
      > > put an option on their GPS interface to take data from the serial port
      > > and GPS from another port. Of course, that arrangement would mean having
      > > the tracker pulling position data from one GPS puck, and the GIS
      > > software pulling from another puck, but if that's the way it needs to
      > > be, the so be it!

    • Fred Hillhouse
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 1, 2013
        There are 3 different sentences you can get but you need to add a GTRANS to your setup. I did this awhile back and I am pretty sure I put it in the WIKI. I don't recall if GLL is one of the three.

        Best regards,
        Fred, N7FMH