Re: [tracker2] GPS data pass through OT to serial?

    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 1 11:06 AM
      Which tracker do you have? I'm planning to add that to the OTUSB and
      T3, but I'm not sure there will be room on the T2 or older units.

      Scott

      On 3/29/2013 5:07 PM, marcel wrote:
      > I'm setting up my GIS software to work as a mobile asset tracker. I have
      > the Open Tracker sending NMEA data to the serial port (port B, with GPS
      > on Port A) and that plots just the way it should. Now I'd like to have
      > the software centre on its current position and record a tack log. To do
      > that I need to have a stream of position data passed through the OT to
      > the serial port.
      >
      > I'm not sure that the OT can even do this, so some advice would be
      > appreciated. If it's not possible, then I'll request the GIS developer
      > put an option on their GPS interface to take data from the serial port
      > and GPS from another port. Of course, that arrangement would mean having
      > the tracker pulling position data from one GPS puck, and the GIS
      > software pulling from another puck, but if that's the way it needs to
      > be, the so be it!

    • Fred Hillhouse
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 1 11:16 AM
        Not knowing which GPS you own; in the interim, you can build a splitter cable that sends data to your Open Tracker and the PC.

        The GPS will have a TX signal which will get connected to the receive inputs or each device. The ground also needs to be connected to each device fro the GPS. You don't need to worry about the RX line on the GPS for this purpose.

        Best regards,
        Fred, N7FMH

        I'm setting up my GIS software to work as a mobile asset tracker. I have the Open Tracker sending NMEA data to the serial port (port B, with GPS on Port A) and that plots just the way it should. Now I'd like to have the software centre on its current position and record a tack log. To do that I need to have a stream of position data passed through the OT to the serial port.

        I'm not sure that the OT can even do this, so some advice would be appreciated. If it's not possible, then I'll request the GIS developer put an option on their GPS interface to take data from the serial port and GPS from another port. Of course, that arrangement would mean having the tracker pulling position data from one GPS puck, and the GIS software pulling from another puck, but if that's the way it needs to be, the so be it!

      • marcel
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 1 12:24 PM
          For this project I'm using an OT3 with a Garmin GPS18 puck and Argent splitter cable. From the reading I've done I understand I can't get a $GPGLL stream out of the NUVI 350 setup I'm currently using in my van, so I can change out the GPS receiver and put the 350 in my car instead.

          > Which tracker do you have? I'm planning to add that to the OTUSB and
          > T3, but I'm not sure there will be room on the T2 or older units.
          >
          > Scott
          >
          > On 3/29/2013 5:07 PM, marcel wrote:
          > > I'm setting up my GIS software to work as a mobile asset tracker. I have
          > > the Open Tracker sending NMEA data to the serial port (port B, with GPS
          > > on Port A) and that plots just the way it should. Now I'd like to have
          > > the software centre on its current position and record a tack log. To do
          > > that I need to have a stream of position data passed through the OT to
          > > the serial port.
          > >
          > > I'm not sure that the OT can even do this, so some advice would be
          > > appreciated. If it's not possible, then I'll request the GIS developer
          > > put an option on their GPS interface to take data from the serial port
          > > and GPS from another port. Of course, that arrangement would mean having
          > > the tracker pulling position data from one GPS puck, and the GIS
          > > software pulling from another puck, but if that's the way it needs to
          > > be, the so be it!

        • Fred Hillhouse
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 1 12:47 PM
            There are 3 different sentences you can get but you need to add a GTRANS to your setup. I did this awhile back and I am pretty sure I put it in the WIKI. I don't recall if GLL is one of the three.

            Best regards,
            Fred, N7FMH