T3-mini serial ports

  • caimaver
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 27, 2013
      How can I get either serial port on the T3-mini to speak TTL instead of RS-232? I couldn't find a setting for it in otwincfg or in the "cmd:help" command list and I didn't see anything about it on the wiki either.

      Thanks!
      Cai /W6CAI
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 27, 2013
        Hi Cai,

        I just added a note to the wiki:

        http://wiki.argentdata.com/index.php?title=Tracker3#Hardware_Configuration_Flags

        I'll add more specific information to the T3-mini page when I have time.
        In short, you'll need to use the patch command to set a configuration
        byte.

        Scott

        On 3/27/2013 12:34 AM, caimaver wrote:
        > How can I get either serial port on the T3-mini to speak TTL instead of
        > RS-232? I couldn't find a setting for it in otwincfg or in the
        > "cmd:help" command list and I didn't see anything about it on the wiki
        > either.
        >
        > Thanks!
        > Cai /W6CAI

      • caimaver
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 27, 2013
          Ah, I found the answer under "Hardware Configuration Flags" on the wiki. It looks like I need to enter "PATCH 002FFF0106" in command mode to change to TTL serial. If I want to change back to RS-232, it looks like I'd enter "PATCH 002FFF0100". I'll try this out tonight to verify.

          - Cai /W6CAI

          --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "caimaver" <caimaver@...> wrote:

          > How can I get either serial port on the T3-mini to speak TTL instead of RS-232? I couldn't find a setting for it in otwincfg or in the "cmd:help" command list and I didn't see anything about it on the wiki either.
          >
          > Thanks!
          > Cai /W6CAI

        • caimaver
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 28, 2013
            Hi Scott-

            Thanks for the update. I've got the T3-mini working in TTL mode, but it looks like there's a problem with the A-TX pin. Using TTL, I am able to send commands to the T3-mini through the A-RX pin and communication through port B (TTL) seems to work fine (both TX and RX as far as I can tell, I can echo port B text with 'snoop' but I didn't see an obvious command to output text on port B).

            After a little more troubleshooting, it looks like the A-TX pin is still operating in RS-232 mode; it works if I run the A-TX line through a MAX3232 (while the A-RX is still receiving TTL). I verified that 002FFF01 is still 06 using "dump all". Can this be fixed in a firmware update?

            BTW, is there a way to use "dump" to output only the memory at 002FF0? That would make verifying this configuration byte much simpler.

            Thanks! I'm really excited about the options made possible with a T3 on a small PCB like this.

            - Cai

            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 28, 2013
              > After a little more troubleshooting, it looks like the A-TX pin is still
              > operating in RS-232 mode; it works if I run the A-TX line through a

              Actually I think TTL may be the default on the T3. That's the one
              annoying difference between the OTUSB and T3 - they have different
              default polarities for the TX line. Try setting it without the TX
              invert bit.

              > MAX3232 (while the A-RX is still receiving TTL). I verified that
              > 002FFF01 is still 06 using "dump all". Can this be fixed in a firmware
              > update?

              I think those may have gone out with an older firmware version - the
              production programmer might not have been updated. I'll check on that
              tonight.

              > BTW, is there a way to use "dump" to output only the memory at 002FF0?
              > That would make verifying this configuration byte much simpler.

              No, afraid you have to do a DUMP ALL.

              Scott
            • caimaver
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 28, 2013
                Thanks for the fast reply. You're right, "patch 002FFF0102" allows me to use TTL for both A-TX and A-RX. If it's helpful, my T3-mini was shipped with the 56373 firmware.

                One last thing: I tried to create an account on the Argent Data wiki, but I get, 'Database returned error "1146: Table 'argentwiki.account_requests' doesn't exist (db.argentdata.com)".'

                Thanks again!
                - Cai

                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 1, 2013
                  > One last thing: I tried to create an account on the Argent Data wiki,
                  > but I get, 'Database returned error "1146: Table
                  > 'argentwiki.account_requests' doesn't exist (db.argentdata.com)".'

                  Hmm, the latest upgrade must have broken that. I'll have to see what I
                  can do. At least it should keep down the spam accounts... =]