Changing the digi symbol overlay to "S" on OTM3

  • sgtrobison@sbcglobal.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 19 7:38 AM
      Hello, I am new to the group and have a noobi question. We have a high
      level digi setup and I need to change the digi symbol overlay from
      star D to Star S, and so far I have not been able to configure the OTM3
      correctly. I was hoping that the group might provide some guidance. I have a beacon text that is being used on other digis in our area, though
      they are using other manufacture TNCs.

      !3909.67NS11436.86W#PHG2800/W2,NVn, WB7WTS, Cave Mtn, NV A=010742

      Thanks for any suggestions. 73

      Archie (Les) Robison N7GWT
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 19 10:40 AM
        To set to icon, using OTWINCFG, simply set the code to '#' and the
        table to 'S'.

        The altitude in the comment is not necessary, but can be left for
        conversation sake.

        Your PHG is incorrect. 2800 indicates 4 watts, 2560 feet HAAT, 0 dB
        gain antenna, omnidirectional

        The power is probably okay, the HAAT I can't calculate right now, but
        it could be okay as well (it is NOT absolute altitude above sea level
        though), but you probably don't have a 0 dB gain antenna. You might
        want to fix that.
        Also in the comment, you'll probably want to format the text with a
        few extra spaces to pad the lines to 10 characters for ease of reading
        on the mobile rigs.

        On 3/19/13, sgtrobison@... <sgtrobison@...> wrote:
        > Hello, I am new to the group and have a noobi question. We have a high
        > level digi setup and I need to change the digi symbol overlay from
        > star D to Star S, and so far I have not been able to configure the OTM3
        > correctly. I was hoping that the group might provide some guidance. I have
        > a beacon text that is being used on other digis in our area, though
        > they are using other manufacture TNCs.
        >
        > !3909.67NS11436.86W#PHG2800/W2,NVn, WB7WTS, Cave Mtn, NV A=010742
        >
        > Thanks for any suggestions. 73
        >
        > Archie (Les) Robison N7GWT

        Sent from my mobile device

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 19 10:40 AM
          One other thing, the location usually goes before the callsign so the
          limited visibilty HTs and mobiles can see the important information on
          screen.

          On 3/19/13, sgtrobison@... <sgtrobison@...> wrote:
          > Hello, I am new to the group and have a noobi question. We have a high
          > level digi setup and I need to change the digi symbol overlay from
          > star D to Star S, and so far I have not been able to configure the OTM3
          > correctly. I was hoping that the group might provide some guidance. I have
          > a beacon text that is being used on other digis in our area, though
          > they are using other manufacture TNCs.
          >
          > !3909.67NS11436.86W#PHG2800/W2,NVn, WB7WTS, Cave Mtn, NV A=010742
          >
          > Thanks for any suggestions. 73
          >
          > Archie (Les) Robison N7GWT

          Sent from my mobile device

        • Lester Robison
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 19 10:56 AM
            James,

            Thanks so much for your comments.  I have never set up an APRS digi before this one, and it has been a constant
            learning experience.  Thanks again & 73

            Les  N7GWT

            One other thing, the location usually goes before the callsign so the
            limited visibilty HTs and mobiles can see the important information on
            screen.

            On 3/19/13, sgtrobison@... <sgtrobison@...> wrote:
            > Hello, I am new to the group and have a noobi question. We have a high
            > level digi setup and I need to change the digi symbol overlay from
            > star D to Star S, and so far I have not been able to configure the OTM3
            > correctly. I was hoping that the group might provide some guidance. I have
            > a beacon text that is being used on other digis in our area, though
            > they are using other manufacture TNCs.
            >
            > !3909.67NS11436.86W#PHG2800/W2,NVn, WB7WTS, Cave Mtn, NV A=010742
            >
            > Thanks for any suggestions. 73
            >
            > Archie (Les) Robison N7GWT

            Sent from my mobile device