WRT54 and digi_ned and t2

  • Chris Kantarjiev
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 23, 2007
      My main motivation for getting a t2 at this point is to set up an igate
      at my vacation QTH. I'm doing this with a Linksys WRT54GS as the computer,
      running a cut-down version of digi_ned on the OpenWRT firmware. It will
      run the WiFi at the cabin as well as the wx, digi, and igate.

      Only certain versions of the hardware (most of them, but be careful)
      are supported by OpenWRT. http://www.openwrt.org/ has lots of details;
      I suggest that you make sure that you can reflash your hardware before
      cracking the case. I used a GS, but there's no reason that you need
      802.11g to do this.

      I ended up using an image from http://db0noe.dyndns.org/openwrt/, because
      it already has AX.25 baked into the kernel. This isn't really required
      for digi_ned (I think) ... but that's an ongoing story. Those images
      have a bunch of other tools already built in.

      The first trick is to add serial ports. The board has a blank spot
      for a 10-pin connector that brings out two serial ports. Ron
      Whitby has detailed instructions for that here:

      http://www.rwhitby.net/projects/wrt54gs

      BUT! His instructions are for a specific, *mismarked* version of the
      AD233BK kit. If you follow them exactly, port 2 won't work. His
      version had Cts and Rts reversed, so you need to swap those connections
      if you don't have the same version (and you probably won't). See this note:

      http://wiki.openwrt.org/MiniHowtos

      Ron's work is based on a v1 board. Linksys moved some components around,
      so the front connector placement he suggests doesn't really work well
      on later boards. I found this out the hard way, and my front panel
      is pretty butchered as a result. It will be more work, but I think
      it makes sense to bring the connectors out the side, as shown here:

      http://db0fhn-i.ampr.org/wrt54gs/prtagung

      There are some notes about using the WRT for ham radio at

      http://db0fhn-i.ampr.org/wrt54gs/

      Once you're up and running, get the digined package with apt-get.
      WA7NWP & I are collecting digi_ned wisdom at

      http://wiki.ampr2.net/nwaprs/DigiNed

      The version of digi_ned that runs on the wrt doesn't include
      serial support, and apparently only handles one radio port. It
      also doesn't do igate. Apparently some people that want digined
      and igate use ax.25 plumbing to hook up aprsd, but that's not
      very easy on the WRT. I'm going to look into taking the igate
      code from xastir and pushing it into digined. Since I can let
      the t2 do the WX station work, I really only need one serial
      port for the t2, and won't bother with serial port support
      in the cut down digi_ned.

      We'll see ... that's my next step in this project.
    • Chris Kantarjiev
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 23, 2007
        Oh, if you don't read German :-) the WRT images awith AX.25 built in
        are hiding here: http://db0noe.dyndns.org/openwrt/0.9/bin/default/
      • J. Lance Cotton
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 23, 2007
          on 3/23/2007 12:26 PM Chris Kantarjiev said the following:
          > I ended up using an image from http://db0noe.dyndns.org/openwrt/, because
          > it already has AX.25 baked into the kernel. This isn't really required
          > for digi_ned (I think) ... but that's an ongoing story. Those images
          > have a bunch of other tools already built in.

          This is cool. When I worked on (and succeeded in) getting digi_ned to run on
          OpenWRT a few years ago, I didn't even bother with AX.25. digi_ned has a
          serial-port KISS option that eliminates the need for an AX.25 stack.

          > The version of digi_ned that runs on the wrt doesn't include
          > serial support, and apparently only handles one radio port. It

          This sounds strange to me because the stock digi_ned source code has some
          compile-time switches to select the interface type (Linux AX.25, DOS AX.25,
          or Serial KISS) and it was the serial KISS interface that supported only one
          port. The AX.25 interfaces supported multiple ports.

          > also doesn't do igate. Apparently some people that want digined
          > and igate use ax.25 plumbing to hook up aprsd, but that's not
          > very easy on the WRT. I'm going to look into taking the igate

          digi_ned never has had igate functions. One could set up digi_ned as a
          multi-port digipeater and use pseudo-ttys and other various utilities
          (described in the digi_ned docs) to "split" the stream to an igate program.
          However, that would mean you cannot use the serial-KISS interface. And if
          you have the AX.25 interface, why would you need to split off from digi_ned,
          as multiple programs can open an AX.25 network interface at the same time.

          > code from xastir and pushing it into digined. Since I can let

          Keep in mind that these WRT devices have limited RAM and code from Xastir is
          not known to be memory-efficient (not that it's bloated, either...)

          -Lance KJ5O

          --
          J. Lance Cotton, KJ5O
          joe@...
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 23, 2007
            Hi Chris,

            I know Ron - we used to be developers on one of the other WRT open
            source projects together. CTS and RTS are reversed since (if I recall
            correctly) TX and RX are also reversed. I believe his intent was to
            have one DCE and one DTE port - one for serial console access, and
            another for an accessory like a TNC. BTW, there are no hardware flow
            control pins coming out of the WRT anyway.

            Could be wrong, been a while :P

            - Jesse

            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 23, 2007
              --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "Jesse Brown" <kf4hzu@...> wrote:

              > Hi Chris,
              >
              > I know Ron - we used to be developers on one of the other WRT open
              > source projects together. CTS and RTS are reversed since (if I recall
              > correctly) TX and RX are also reversed. I believe his intent was to
              > have one DCE and one DTE port - one for serial console access, and
              > another for an accessory like a TNC. BTW, there are no hardware flow
              > control pins coming out of the WRT anyway.

              The version of the board that Rod used and documented for his WRT is
              *different* than what is shipping today.

              The reason isn't really important. The results are. I've just been
              through this, and I had exactly the problem described in the links I
              posted: the first port worked fine, the second port didn't, until I
              reversed those two leads.

              Yes, the described mod ends up with one DCE and one DTE port.

              Best,
              chris
            • Chris Kantarjiev
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 23, 2007
                --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "J. Lance Cotton" <groups@...> wrote:

                > on 3/23/2007 12:26 PM Chris Kantarjiev said the following:
                > > I ended up using an image from http://db0noe.dyndns.org/openwrt/,
                because
                > > it already has AX.25 baked into the kernel. This isn't really required
                > > for digi_ned (I think) ... but that's an ongoing story. Those images
                > > have a bunch of other tools already built in.
                >
                > This is cool. When I worked on (and succeeded in) getting digi_ned
                to run on
                > OpenWRT a few years ago, I didn't even bother with AX.25. digi_ned
                has a
                > serial-port KISS option that eliminates the need for an AX.25 stack.

                Yes, and that's what's in the cut-down version that's compiled for the
                OpenWRT, distributed at the link I posted.

                > > The version of digi_ned that runs on the wrt doesn't include
                > > serial support, and apparently only handles one radio port. It
                >
                > This sounds strange to me because the stock digi_ned source code has
                some
                > compile-time switches to select the interface type (Linux AX.25, DOS
                AX.25,
                > or Serial KISS) and it was the serial KISS interface that supported
                only one
                > port. The AX.25 interfaces supported multiple ports.

                Not serial KISS, the digi_ned "serial" keyword. My original plan was
                to use the second serial port to take in WX strings from an OT1 and
                cause digi_ned to spit them out as WX packets.

                That cut down version also doesn't have AX.25 port support, as best I
                can tell, so ...

                > > also doesn't do igate. Apparently some people that want digined
                > > and igate use ax.25 plumbing to hook up aprsd, but that's not
                > > very easy on the WRT. I'm going to look into taking the igate
                >
                > digi_ned never has had igate functions. One could set up digi_ned as a
                > multi-port digipeater and use pseudo-ttys and other various utilities
                > (described in the digi_ned docs) to "split" the stream to an igate
                program.
                > However, that would mean you cannot use the serial-KISS interface.
                And if
                > you have the AX.25 interface, why would you need to split off from
                digi_ned,
                > as multiple programs can open an AX.25 network interface at the same
                time.

                I know that digi_ned has never had igate functions. I plan to add a
                simple one. The problem with plumbing to another program with AX.25 is
                that it sucks up a bunch of memory and CPU - and the likely program
                (aprsd) has much more functionality than needed, like an http server!

                Henk has his reasons for leaving igate out. I think that those reasons
                no longer apply in the Linux/WRT world.

                > Keep in mind that these WRT devices have limited RAM and code from
                Xastir is
                > not known to be memory-efficient (not that it's bloated, either...)

                The igate functionality in Xastir is a very simple and small piece of
                the whole pie. And my WRT has 32MB, which should be plenty.
              • Jason Winningham
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 23, 2007
                  On Mar 23, 2007, at 3:43 PM, Chris Kantarjiev wrote:

                  > The version of the board that Rod used and documented for his WRT is
                  > *different* than what is shipping today.

                  If you're buying one of these today for the purposes of linux
                  hacking, order the WRT54GL. The "L" model has more resources (flash
                  memory, I think) than the others. Linksys has reduced requirements,
                  in part by switching to VX Works, but they are specifically
                  continuing the L model because the Linux community likes to hack 'em.

                  I'm not sure how the serial port mod relates to the GL.

                  -Jason
                  kg4wsv
                • Jonathan Karras
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 1, 2007
                    I have a ipkg built for aprds if you would like this. I have it running
                    on my v4 WRT54GS with OpenWRT it works great as a little igate hooked to
                    my KPC-3. I don't use the AX.25 stuff just the simple serial mode.

                    I made some modifications to the aprsd code to support sending filters
                    to the upstream ARPS servers. I also changed the config file and log
                    file locations to more standard locations. Unfortunately these are hard
                    coded at the moment. I would like to make them use autoconfig but I have
                    not figured that out quite yet.

                    Jonathan