Re: How can I test the current speed in a script?

  • francois.rogez
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 14, 2013
      Thank you Scott, this would be nice to have.

      As a workaround, I wrote a script to override the parameters set by the
      profile, for the first n minutes after the transition, then revert to
      the same parameters as the profile has.
      This seems to work.

      > Speed isn't presently one of the things you can check from a script.
      > can add that to my to-do list for the next release.
      >
      > Scott
      >
      > On 3/14/2013 10:52 AM, francois.rogez wrote:
      > > I am looking for advice/examples on detecting condition based on a
      speed
      > > threshold in a script.
      > >
      > > My current setup uses a speed threshold to transition between the 2
      > > profiles, but I would like this transition to only happen if the
      speed
      > > is below the threshold for a given number of minutes. I think a
      script
      > > is needed.
      > >
      > > The wiki has some script examples, and the "Comparing Analog
      Readings"
      > > is close to what is needed; I just need to replace the 'Exec "analog
      1
      > > in"' statement with something that will return the current speed.
      > >
      > > Any ideas?
      > >
      > > Thanks
      > >
      > > Francois

    • francois.rogez
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 15, 2013
        2 follow-up questions (my script is actually not working):

        1)
        I assumed that you apply the profile definitions defined in OTWINCFG as:
        if profile n / do once / ... / end block / end block
        Is this true?

        2)
        if my script also has a" if profile n / do once", which one (my script
        or you profile) will actually set a given parameter (like POWER, or
        INTERVAL). Should I wait 1 second after the profile switch before trying
        to overwrite the parameters defined in the profile?

        Thanks

        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 15, 2013
          > I assumed that you apply the profile definitions defined in OTWINCFG as:
          > if profile n / do once / ... / end block / end block
          > Is this true?

          Yes, this should run a block of code once when the profile test is true.

          > 2)
          > if my script also has a" if profile n / do once", which one (my script
          > or you profile) will actually set a given parameter (like POWER, or
          > INTERVAL). Should I wait 1 second after the profile switch before trying
          > to overwrite the parameters defined in the profile?

          The profile switching doesn't set parameters, it just determines which
          of two complete sets of parameters is used. Command line commands will,
          by default, act on the currently active profile. You can override that
          and force a specific profile to be updated.

          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 15, 2013
            On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 11:52 AM, francois.rogez <ffdef@...> wrote:

            > I am looking for advice/examples on detecting condition based on
            > a speed threshold in a script.

            As stated, speed is not a variable that can be accessed in a script
            currently, but it can be tested against via profile switching.

            > My current setup uses a speed threshold to transition between the 2 profiles, but I would like
            > this transition to only happen if the speed is below the threshold for a given number of minutes.
            > I think a script is needed.

            Sounds like it...

            > Any ideas?

            It all depends upon what you need this routine to do, and how much you
            are changing between the profiles.

            Let's pretend that you want to change the path used from WIDE2-2 while
            moving to WIDE2-1 when sitting still, but only after sitting still for
            5 minutes.

            So set both profiles up identically, with WIDE2-2 as the path. Set up
            the profile switching so that you switch to profile 2 when speed is
            below 5 mph. Switch to profile 1 when speed is above 10 mph.

            So, you're thinking... that's silly, why have two profiles the same
            and switch between them based on speed?

            We'll we can't test against speed in a script, but we can test against
            which profile we are in, and we can set which profile we are in based
            on speed, so really it's kind of a derivative work, but we can test
            against speed in a round-about way. With both profiles identical, you
            can't tell that there is a change, except that the tracker has
            internally switched profiles.

            So now what?

            Well, set up a script that tests against being in profile 2, and while
            in profile 2, start a timer. Increment the timer every second, and
            when the timer reaches 300 (5 minutes * 60 seconds), execute the
            command to change the path to WIDE2-1.

            You'll need to test if you switch back to profile 1, and if you do,
            clear the timer value to zero, and set the path in profile 2 back to
            WIDE2-2. You can set a variable to check to see if you've changed
            parameters while in profile 2 or not so you don't do unnecessary
            writes.

            There you go, profile switching based on speed...

            You can change as many parameters as required and desired.

            Be aware that every time you write a parameter change, you wear out
            the memory slightly. That would be why you would want to keep track of
            whether you need to reset parameters back when in profile 1 or not. No
            need wearing the thing out prematurely.

            So, what do you want to do, and how often do you want to do it?

          • francois.rogez
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 2, 2013
              > It all depends upon what you need this routine to do, and how much you
              > are changing between the profiles.
              >
              > Let's pretend that you want to change the path used from WIDE2-2 while
              > moving to WIDE2-1 when sitting still, but only after sitting still for
              > 5 minutes.

              > Well, set up a script that tests against being in profile 2, and while
              > in profile 2, start a timer. Increment the timer every second, and
              > when the timer reaches 300 (5 minutes * 60 seconds), execute the
              > command to change the path to WIDE2-1.
              >
              > You'll need to test if you switch back to profile 1, and if you do,
              > clear the timer value to zero, and set the path in profile 2 back to
              > WIDE2-2. You can set a variable to check to see if you've changed
              > parameters while in profile 2 or not so you don't do unnecessary
              > writes.

              > So, what do you want to do, and how often do you want to do it?
              >
              > --
              > James
              > VE6SRV

              Thanks James, I updated my script based on your explanation.
              My initial script was not working, because I had assumed that the profiles defined in OTWINCFG were static, and just used to set the active parameters.
              Instead, as you described, the profiles are directly modified avery time a script modifies a parameter, therefore I needed to re-set the parameters to their original value.
              The parameters I want to change are POWER, INTERVAL, and COMMENT.
              The attached script has been working well for the last 2 weeks

              If Profile 1
                Do Once
                  Exec "POWER ON"
                  Exec "INTERVAL 60"
                  Exec "COMMENT S"
                  Set Counter 1 = 0
                  Exec "BEACON"
                End Block
                On Second
                  Increment Counter 1
                  If Counter 1 = 300
                    Exec "COMMENT P"
                    Exec "POWER 3"
                    Exec "INTERVAL 900"
                  End Block
                End Block
              End Block
              If Profile 2
                Do Once
                  Exec "COMMENT M"
                  Exec "BEACON"
                End Block
              End Block

              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 2, 2013
                On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 11:34 AM, francois.rogez <ffdef@...> wrote:

                > Thanks James, I updated my script based on your explanation.
                > My initial script was not working, because I had assumed that the profiles
                > defined in OTWINCFG were static, and just used to set the active parameters.
                > Instead, as you described, the profiles are directly modified avery time a
                > script modifies a parameter, therefore I needed to re-set the parameters to
                > their original value.

                Yeah, you really need to understand what is happening, and where it is
                happening. I could see getting tripped up on that aspect. Just think
                of scripting as you sending commands to the unit. I still have to sit
                and ponder on changing parameters in the other profile and such...
                scripting is pretty darned powerful. I like it when people dream up
                weird things to do, and ask how to do it. It's a challenge to see if
                you can figure out how to complete the task with the tools available.

                > The parameters I want to change are POWER, INTERVAL, and COMMENT.
                > The attached script has been working well for the last 2 weeks

                The script looks okay...

                > If Profile 1
                > Do Once
                > Exec "POWER ON"
                > Exec "INTERVAL 60"
                > Exec "COMMENT S"
                > Set Counter 1 = 0
                > Exec "BEACON"
                > End Block

                So when profile 1 tests are true, and the unit is in profile 1, you
                fire up whatever is hooked up to the power output, send an immediate
                position report followed by one every minute with a comment of S until
                5 minutes elapses.

                > On Second
                > Increment Counter 1
                > If Counter 1 = 300
                > Exec "COMMENT P"
                > Exec "POWER 3"
                > Exec "INTERVAL 900"
                > End Block
                > End Block
                > End Block

                So once 5 minutes elapses, the interval gets changed to 15 minutes,
                and the power to the external device gets turned off until 15 minutes
                has elapsed, where upon power gets turned on for 3 seconds before a
                transmission occurs (with a comment of P), then power gets shut off.
                The timer runs continuously, so the counter 1 = 300 becomes true about
                every 18.2 hours. (I beleive the max counter value is 65535, and it
                rolls over back to 0) Putting the contents of the IF statement within
                a DO ONCE block would make it only happen once. This is minor, but
                there are a maximum number of write cycles available. Rewriting once
                every 18 hours is going to take a long time to wear out the device,
                but the DO ONCE will make it only happen once per switch to profile 1.

                > If Profile 2
                > Do Once
                > Exec "COMMENT M"
                > Exec "BEACON"
                > End Block
                > End Block

                You shouldn't have to do this at all if the comment is set to M, and
                you select "Transmit when switching to this profile" on the profile
                switching page. All parameters in profile 2 are not affected by what
                you do while in profile 1.