Re: [tracker2] ArgentData GPS won't work with Computer

  • Keith VE7GDH
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 8, 2013
      Paul KJ4YOJ wrote...

      > Thanks to all for responding. I have checked with a Volt meter and
      > found that I am not getting any voltage to pin 5. Does anyone know of
      > an easy way to supply the necessary voltage to that pin?

      I made my own adapter with a 5V regulator on a small
      cct board, but Byonics has adapters available. I haven't
      gone looking to see if Scott has them too.

      www.byonics.com/tinytrak/gps.php

      73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 8, 2013
        Pin 5 is ground. You want power on pin 4. You can take power from a
        keyboard port.

        Scott

        On 3/8/2013 2:59 PM, Paul Martin wrote:
        > Thanks to all for responding. I have checked with a Volt meter and
        > found that I am not getting any voltage to pin 5. Does anyone know of
        > an easy way to supply the necessary voltage to that pin?
        >
        > Thanks, 73
        > Paul KJ4YOJ

      • Jason R
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 16, 2013
          We sell a product we call the "patcher". It's a DB9 Male to DB9 Female adapter with a PCB in the middle and solder pads for the pins to each connector. All you have to do is jump pins 2, 3 and 5, then inject 5VDC on pin 4 of the MALE side to power the GPS. Here is a link:

          http://www.rpc-electronics.com/comm.php

          You'll see that we have two versions: 1. with 0.1" headers soldered on. 2. No headers, just the bare pads and it comes with a case. We have had many customers buy this just for the purpose of building one of these GPS power injectors.

          I have even built versions with a 7805 regulator grafted onto the board and then ran some black/red small gauge zip cord out the case, through a notch to supply anywhere between nice and 20 volts. The regulator makes sure that no more than 5VDC gets to the GPS.

          Jason Rausch - KE4NYV
          RPC Electronics, LLC
          www.rpc-electronics.com