Re: [tracker2] Viscous digipeating for power savings

    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 8, 2013
      On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 1:56 PM, Tom Hayward <tom@...> wrote:

      > The places I have considered installing solar digipeaters are all out
      > in the boonies--areas where there are zero permanent APRS users, and
      > maybe a few mobile users driving through each day. The solar digi
      > would respond to WIDE1-1, SARn-N, and TEMPn-N.

      So you are creating RX only digipeaters basically. One would need to
      use the specialized aliases to be able to get packets back into the
      area.

      > I understand the point of viscous digipeating, and I would welcome it
      > on the Tracker series, I just don't think it would affect my power
      > budget much.

      Most likely quite true for you, but for Ian, it obviously does affect
      his power budget.

      Some people like your neighbor Bill WA7NWP advocates that EVERY APRS
      station should support WIDE1-1 digipeating. I would go along with that
      statement if EVERY home station supported ONLY WIDE1-1 via viscous
      digipeating.

    • zl1vfo
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 9, 2013
        Where the digi is, is on the edge of a city, so it will hear a reasonable amount of traffic. The site USED to be mains powered, until the Aircraft NDB beacon was decommisioned after about 50 years of service. So the digi morphed from a Kenwood and a Tiny2/UIDigi to a Maxon Data radio and a OT2 for low power consumption + Solar panel, regulator, and a pair of batteries
        Now, while we are presently in summer here, with days end to end of clear blue sky and heaps of sunlight, power consumtion is not a problem.
        However, in winter, when you can get a week or two of grey skies and rain, then looking to save a bit of power here and there becomes a good idea.
        Viscous digipeating is just another tool in the toolbox, it might save a bit of power, and keep a few more air time slots free for the odd times of the day when things become busy. Either way it's unlikely to harm anything, and more likely to help, so its something that would be good to have available.

        -Ian ZL1VFO

        > On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 1:56 PM, Tom Hayward <tom@...> wrote:
        >
        > > The places I have considered installing solar digipeaters are all out
        > > in the boonies--areas where there are zero permanent APRS users, and
        > > maybe a few mobile users driving through each day. The solar digi
        > > would respond to WIDE1-1, SARn-N, and TEMPn-N.
        >
        > So you are creating RX only digipeaters basically. One would need to
        > use the specialized aliases to be able to get packets back into the
        > area.
        >
        > > I understand the point of viscous digipeating, and I would welcome it
        > > on the Tracker series, I just don't think it would affect my power
        > > budget much.
        >
        > Most likely quite true for you, but for Ian, it obviously does affect
        > his power budget.
        >
        > Some people like your neighbor Bill WA7NWP advocates that EVERY APRS
        > station should support WIDE1-1 digipeating. I would go along with that
        > statement if EVERY home station supported ONLY WIDE1-1 via viscous
        > digipeating.
        >
        > --
        > James
        > VE6SRV

      • captnkliegle
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 11, 2013
          I've been running a solar WX digi for years, using an HT (very old Icom HT) makes RX consumption very low, but still 5W on TX into a good high gain antenna. Even on a cloudy day, my panels still supply a surplus of power. It's the short winter, cloudy days one has to plan for. I use some slightly used 6V golf cart batteries in series for power storage, never an issue!

          Operating equipment:

          Icom IC-24
          KPC-3
          Argentdata WX station (WX data only, not using internal PIC since it won't do digipeating)

          KA1GJU-3